Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 10:45 AM

32 posts, read 138,011 times

Advertisements

I have been following these forums for awhile now, and must admit tht I am perplexed at the seemingly frequent recommendations for private school after elementary school in the Richmond city area as if it is not that expensive/an option for the median household. I have seen a range of tuition given around $8,000-10,000 per year too and think this is very misleading. Maybe I am missing something. So, we are moving this Summer to the far west end of Richmond (depending on a contingency offer on our current home). We loved Midlothian, but work wise, I don't think it is going to work out for my husband. Anyway, we are set on public schools for our children and have chosen our targeted area/neighborhoods based on the public school reputations, rankings, etc. I wish Private school was a valid option, but I won't be working at all initially, so we can't swing it for two kids right away (plus my youngest is only going into first grade and this will be a decade plus long financial commitment). The reason I am stating so is this. The schools that we have looked into are expensive (St Catherine's $20,000 2013-2014 tuition and up depending on grade, The Steward School $18,905-$21,110 and Collegiate School $18,330-21,520). So this is per child annually, not to mention additional expenses. Are there other reputable private schools in the area that are much less expensive? Is it really a recommendation for Catholic Schools that are being referenced in the $8,000-10,000 range (don't want to start religious/political debate, but these are not equivalent to me). Maybe it is just me, I don't think that getting a somewhat less expensive house and/or having slightly less home taxes in Richmond city, compensates for spending around $45,000 per year in tuitions, fees, etc (for us) and/or is a valid option for most people (especially those with more than one child). If there are other private schools out there that are less expensive, please let me know where they are. We found one in Midlothian that was "only" around $11,000 per year (Millwood) but haven't gotten a lot of feedback on that school. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 10:55 AM

326 posts, read 689,240 times
Why are you determined to live in the nicest areas of Richmond with some of the best public schools in the state just to send your child to a private school that you probably can't afford?

Old 04-23-2013, 11:01 AM

I am not determined, just wondering if I am missing something in my searches for private schools. We are pretty much 99% set on public schools (hence choosing the areas that we have). I do love the architecture, history, and "walkability" of some of the older Richmond neighborhoods, but am finding these neighborhoods when coupled with expensive private schools will be out of our financial comfort range. Just want to make sure there isn't a school out there that we haven't heard of/considered. Thanks.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:47 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgnmx View Post
Why are you determined to live in the nicest areas of Richmond with some of the best public schools in the state just to send your child to a private school that you probably can't afford?
It would seem the OP like most posters on here do not agree with your view of the Richmond Schools at the secondary level and realise the need for private school.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
It would seem the OP like most posters on here do not agree with your view of the Richmond Schools at the secondary level and realise the need for private school.
Search Virginia High Schools | US News

I'd say they're pretty good. The schools that beat out these Richmond schools are in Northern VA, the richest counties in America, so yes, pretty darn good. Of course if you're referring to Richmond city schools, which it does not seem the op is considering, then yes, you'd be right.

(The OP indicated that they plan to move to the far west end in case you missed that)

Last edited by hgnmx; 04-23-2013 at 12:35 PM..

Old 04-23-2013, 01:24 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgnmx View Post
Search Virginia High Schools | US News

I'd say they're pretty good. The schools that beat out these Richmond schools are in Northern VA, the richest counties in America, so yes, pretty darn good. Of course if you're referring to Richmond city schools, which it does not seem the op is considering, then yes, you'd be right.

(The OP indicated that they plan to move to the far west end in case you missed that)
My impression was the OP is looking to move to the Far West end of Richmond City, not Henrico.

The OP also stated "I do love the architecture, history, and "walkability" of some of the older Richmond neighborhoods, but am finding these neighborhoods when coupled with expensive private schools will be out of our financial comfort range. Just want to make sure there isn't a school out there that we haven't heard of/considered. Thanks."

My statements are based on the city schools. If they mean Henrico then I would concure with your statements and as a parent have been very happy with the education my kids received.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:41 PM

Thanks for your input. Someone messaged me about St. Michael's in Richmond. This was more along the lines of private school tuition that I was expecting (or hoping for). I was really just wanting to see if there were any other options out there that I was missing. My husband also really loved the Tuckahoe area , so we were briefly considering that. However, due mostly to the lack of stellar public middle and high school options (and the expense of private schools), we are more than likely sticking with Far West End (sorry, yes, I meant Henrico 23323 and 23059 zip code areas specifically). We have to sacrifice some things on our wish list (more privacy, space, etc) to gain others (great public schools mostly). All things said, I probably won't stop looking/debating (mostly internally) until our current home is officially sold and we are on our way.
Also, VA Yankee thanks for your comments regarding being happy with the education your kids received in Henrico public schools - that is always helpful.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post

My statements are based on the city schools. If they mean Henrico then I would concure with your statements and as a parent have been very happy with the education my kids received.
Hehe, the "far west end of richmond" is referred to in the Richmond area as the "near west end", though i guess it's confusing especially if we're unsure of whether or not the person moving here is aware of that

Old 04-23-2013, 08:06 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,777,178 times
I've never heard far west end used to refer to anything but short pump/glen Allen. Near west end is upper class city of Richmond.

Funnily, never heard of "middle west end" though it would clearly be the area in between... General called the west end.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:28 PM

79 posts, read 116,221 times
In addition to St. Michael's, Sabot at Stony Point and Richmond Montessori School are more reasonably priced and often overlooked gems. My son is at Richmond Montessori, and we couldn't be happier. City living with kids can be a tough decision. City taxes are high, the meal/restaurant tax is high, and property in the best grade school/safest areas can be very pricey. That being said, we love being able to walk to restaurants, Starbucks, farmer's market, grocery store, etc. Definitely a trade-off ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond