Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 04:31 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,344,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
A GeorgiaTransplant from Oregon?

What's the vibe like in Richmond that you like? And what's the reason that people couldn't pay you to live in Portland?
I was in the military for a long time, so I transplanted TO Georgia. Then, later, Virginia, but I didn't want to change my user name.

My chief issue with Portland (and Seattle/Tacoma, where I did live for a while) is the weather. I grew up in Oregon, so I understood it, but my spouse did not, does not, and does not like it.

Second, the 'hipster quotient'. My own personal observation, completely unscientific: the ones in Richmond are, by and large, more into physical fitness as a rule. The ones in Oregon tend to be more political. Physical fitness is something I like; politics is something I do not. I can talk to some Birkie-wearing dude about an upcoming 10K and nutrition, and enjoy it. Don't like talking about Proposition Whatever or how TERRIBLE the Trayvon Martin case was...

Finally, the homeless issue. They're pretty prevalent in Portland, I think anybody has to admit. Not so much in Richmond, and the ones here appear to be that way because they are truly down and out rather than young and too stupid to move somewhere with jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 02:13 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,894,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
I live in Richmond now, and am from Oregon, going back pretty often to visit family. Portland is the only city of any size in Oregon and we always start/end there. The two cities are similarly sized, with a river running through them, but other than that they aren't all *that* similar.

Portland's microbrewery scene is simply pervasive. You can't get away from it (not that you'd want to...)

I'm kind of with VTHokieFan here-they're both great. But the vibe, to me, is quite different. I love living in Richmond, but despite being a nice city that's fun to visit-you couldn't pay me to *live* in Portland.
Richmond should develop its own vibe in its own right. Financial sector, southern culture and history going back to 1600s.

I DO, however, think Richmond would go crazy for Portland's beer scene.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:34 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,775,375 times
Portlands got better beer. Richmonds craft beer scene is starting to pick up with the change in Laws - something like 10 new breweries coming up. Rich ones food and weather is way better. I like Portland, but would be just as happy to never visit again. 3 months of gorgeous weather don't make up for the rain.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:08 AM

847 posts, read 3,352,726 times
Virginia has independent breweries and even independent craft distilleries, but what Virginia REALLY has is wineries. They are all over the western part of the state, from the north all through to the south and well into the Piedmont. The difference between a winery and a brewery is that a winery usually needs to be rural, because you need land to grow your grapes. Breweries can locate within a city center, because it is acceptable for a brewery to buy all of its ingredients and just put them together into beer.

So when comparing Richmond to Portland, you should take a broader view. Instead of asking, "Does Richmond have exactly the same number of exactly the same things (breweries) as Portland?" it makes more sense to ask, "Does Richmond have the same level of creativity (or whatever other quality you're really driving at) as Portland?" I would say that the answer (according to my out-of-date information) is probably yes.

Tiger Beer: I notice you are in Asia. I am in Singapore. I'm on here because I'm planning a move to the area in the next couple of months. Are you looking for real estate investments? All of the locals I've met here in Singapore are constantly looking for advice on buying US real estate. I find it funny that so many people are so interested in such big, risky investments on the other side of the world. Anyway, hello from Singapore.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:03 AM

41 posts, read 85,582 times
"I'm originally from Norfolk, have spent some time in Richmond. Have lived in Chicago (at the time WickerPark/BuckTown was hipster heaven), 4 years in Portland, OR, lots of time in Seattle, Vancouver, San Francisco.. as well as other cities. I've caught a vibe similar to Portland or Austin in Richmond. I know musicians from Richmond who find Austin similar to Richmond. I get it. Also get that with Asheville. It's all subjective, it depends on your point of view. While there is corporate presence in the Portland suburbs (Intel, Nike, Columbia Sportsware) the city of Portland is very anti-corporate, anti-sprawl, pro-mixed use, etc. There were many highly educated young people (PhDs) etc working at coffee houses while working on their books, album, etc. They didn't want to "work for the man". Despite the lack of jobs people keep pouring into the area. I've heard Austin is similar. Even though many would consider Seattle hipster, people from Portland often snub their northern neighbor as being corporate, bland, and suburban. Someone in Portland once told me this bizzare story that supposedly explains the difference between Seattlites and Portlanders was this: that when people were travelling west in wagons and ended up having to get rid of most of their stuff to survive, the ones headed for Portland kept their books and the ones headed for Seattle kept their furniture. :^)"

This. I just moved from Portland after living there for 14 years. When I moved there in 1999 it was still pretty grungy and granola and it has changed a lot from that. Yes, there are PHD's making your coffee and selling their crocheted, hand spun thread made from their own backyard goats at the farmer's markets (believe Portlandia! It's only a slight exaggeration of the truth). It all became a bit twee for us. We're too old to be hipsters and have a kid and are looking to retain some of the aspects of life in PDX like the outdoors stuff, good restaurant scene, microbreweries, blah blah blah, but without the trying to be cool factor that a lot of Portland has these days. That's one big reason we're looking at Richmond as a place to move to.
Also, I love that story of Portland vs. Seattle. PDX vs SEA is one of my favorite rivalries. I've lived in both and it's a total sibling style relationship. While they will shade each other all day long, if you are from outside (especially San Francisco) and diss one of them they will both beat you up.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:49 PM

797 posts, read 1,429,215 times
What's with all the Portland and Richmond comparisons here lately??

Old 02-22-2014, 08:34 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
What's with all the Portland and Richmond comparisons here lately??
I was wondering the same thing. Music, hipsters and outdoorsy are three pretty small characteristics in the larger picture. The culture in Richmond feels nothing like Portland otherwise IME. The culture/people (southern vs. PNW is a big difference), the economy, the weather, the housing stock, the transit systems, the local geography, etc. etc. etc. all feel different.

If you like music, bikes and a good urban core then there are similarities, but that can be found in countless other cities that are also very different.

Old 02-22-2014, 01:28 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,773,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I was wondering the same thing. Music, hipsters and outdoorsy are three pretty small characteristics in the larger picture. The culture in Richmond feels nothing like Portland otherwise IME. The culture/people (southern vs. PNW is a big difference), the economy, the weather, the housing stock, the transit systems, the local geography, etc. etc. etc. all feel different.

If you like music, bikes and a good urban core then there are similarities, but that can be found in countless other cities that are also very different.
It's funny because I live in Portland and Richmond is one of the cities I'm considering moving to. I am kind of sick of the West.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:07 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
It's funny because I live in Portland and Richmond is one of the cities I'm considering moving to. I am kind of sick of the West.
I like both cities a lot. I feel like Richmond has some of the strong points that Portland does, but it is quite different. I feel like Richmond is less concerned with itself than Portland, but that feels to be changing somewhat. The city is gentrifying in areas and the burbs are growing like a wild fire, but the city has less pull in the metro than Portland from what I can tell. You'd have worse public transit here, a better job market (depending on your field), a different culture, warmer and colder weather...and more sun, close proximity to the NE corridor, etc.

I recommend you come and visit. It's a good place to live if you like small-mid-sized cities.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:31 AM

1,514 posts, read 2,775,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post

I Disagree, there aren't many cities like Portland and Richmond out there. And Richmond really reminds me of Portland 15 years ago, or Austin around 20 years ago. That's important to me, and that's why I moved here.

I think ones view of Richmond is colored by whether one lives in the city or not. The city has southern influences, but is not that southern any more - I swear the plurality of people around me are from Connecticut and New York City. Chesterfield isn't at all like Portland, but Portland has its equivalent suburbs (granted, more like henrico... Chesterfield still has a noticeable southern vibe in many places)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond