U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-14-2007, 09:00 AM

2 posts, read 3,879 times
Default Internet Service

I've recently moved to Richmond and am in an apartment. The apartment building has comcast broadband in the office on the first floor. It takes forever for me to do any surfing from my laptop and usually can't get a webpage to load.

Can anyone tell me what the cheapest service is in the area. I don't have a phone line so I think it would have to be a wireless connection or if a service with a phone line is cheaper I may get a phone line added.

Thanks,

Peaches20
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 09:49 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,683,120 times
Clearwire offers Wireless Broadband.. I'm not sure how they are on pricing or speed though.

Old 11-14-2007, 04:55 PM

251 posts, read 746,358 times
You don't have to have a "phone line" to subscribe to DSL with Verizon. Any wireless internet service you subscribe to is going to be slow---just like the wireless internet your apartment apparently provides through Comcast---or are you piggiebacking off one of your neighbor's who has an unemcrypted home wireless system? I know that is very popular in apartment complexes....

Old 11-15-2007, 08:43 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,548,863 times
I would stay away from wireless.
I dont like it one bit.
Im using the wireless from VCU (as Im a student) and the speed and consistency leaves much to be desired.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:44 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,548,863 times
Oddly enough, as I was submitting the previous post, my internet signal was loss.
I kid you not.

Old 11-18-2007, 04:43 PM

2 posts, read 3,879 times
Thanks for the help on wireless setup. I think my nephew will wait til he has a little more money saved to install phone and dialup dsl. I see that verizon has a pretty nice deal.

Old 11-18-2007, 07:56 PM

655 posts, read 1,292,389 times
If you're also thinking about eventually getting a phone line, take a look at the packages that Cavalier offers. I don't think they offer DSL alone though, just packaged with cable for $65/mo or phone for $40/mo. That should be cheaper than what Verizon offers it for. But they also supply the modem, cable box, etc. so you don't have to buy any of that.

Comcast should also be able to give you a direct connection with bandwidth not shared by your neighbors, but I'm not sure how much their internet packages run for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond