U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 01:38 PM

110 posts, read 233,671 times

Advertisements

Currently live in Northern VA, considering moving to Richmond (most likely western Henrico County, good schools are important). Just wanted to get an idea from folks that live there what the housing situation is like. Up here, there is a severe shortage of housing (at least inside the beltway) and the houses that come on the market are crazy expensive and really run down. I know housing is much cheaper in Richmond, but was curious if there is a decent supply of single family homes to choose from? Any zip codes or neighborhoods in particular you would recommend researching? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 03:01 PM

2,697 posts, read 7,790,937 times
We moved from NoVa a decade ago and never looked back. In Henrico look in 23059 or 23233 (feeding into Deep Run or Godwin High Schools). If you want a big pool neighborhood, start with Gray Oaks, Wyndham, Twin Hickory, or Wellesley. Housing availability depends on your budget.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
We moved from NoVa a decade ago and never looked back. In Henrico look in 23059 or 23233 (feeding into Deep Run or Godwin High Schools). If you want a big pool neighborhood, start with Gray Oaks, Wyndham, Twin Hickory, or Wellesley. Housing availability depends on your budget.

Thank you! I think we'd be looking at houses under $400k. 4 bed/2 ba preferred.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:16 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,855,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantthinkofone View Post
Thank you! I think we'd be looking at houses under $400k. 4 bed/2 ba preferred.
Then I'd suggest Wellesley. I say that because I'm a pool person and Wellesley has a great community pool -- friendly and fancy at the same time w/ lifeguards and a snack bar. Plus you're close to Whole Foods and Trader Joe's.

But the homes aren't on large lots. We're a couple of streets over from Wellesely so can't use their pool and we're on 1/2 an acre. I'd trade 1/2 an acre for their pool any day. So at this point in my life I'm all for smaller lots.

One thing nobody warned me about: fall in VA means the beautiful trees drop zillions of leaves and you'll spend all weekend during the fall bagging leaves. Unless you can afford the mow/blow guys which we don't want to pay for. So I spend most of fall nagging my husband to deal with the mountains of leaves.

Plus a lot of the trees drop acorns which means it feels like getting hit in the head like a golf ball flying at you. The fewer trees, the better. The more pools, the better.

Also, I wanted to let you know about the JCC -- the Jewish Community Center -- you don't have to be Jewish to join. Their indoor pool is phenomenal for kids. Their workout room and classes are awesome for adults. We've been going for a year now and the honeymoon period is over and we still love it. My boys are taking swimming lessons all year long.

Welcome!

Alley

Old 10-12-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia64 View Post
Then I'd suggest Wellesley. I say that because I'm a pool person and Wellesley has a great community pool -- friendly and fancy at the same time w/ lifeguards and a snack bar. Plus you're close to Whole Foods and Trader Joe's.

But the homes aren't on large lots. We're a couple of streets over from Wellesely so can't use their pool and we're on 1/2 an acre. I'd trade 1/2 an acre for their pool any day. So at this point in my life I'm all for smaller lots.

One thing nobody warned me about: fall in VA means the beautiful trees drop zillions of leaves and you'll spend all weekend during the fall bagging leaves. Unless you can afford the mow/blow guys which we don't want to pay for. So I spend most of fall nagging my husband to deal with the mountains of leaves.

Plus a lot of the trees drop acorns which means it feels like getting hit in the head like a golf ball flying at you. The fewer trees, the better. The more pools, the better.

Also, I wanted to let you know about the JCC -- the Jewish Community Center -- you don't have to be Jewish to join. Their indoor pool is phenomenal for kids. Their workout room and classes are awesome for adults. We've been going for a year now and the honeymoon period is over and we still love it. My boys are taking swimming lessons all year long.

Welcome!

Alley
Thanks! Do you know if there is a decent supply of housing? Up here there is very little, and when something does come on the market it's gone within a matter of days, often above listing price.

Old 10-12-2013, 05:41 PM

383 posts, read 895,164 times
You should have no issue finding what you are looking for. Get connected with a solid realtor and start exploring the options that are available for you.

Old 10-13-2013, 05:47 AM

2,697 posts, read 7,790,937 times
Quote:
Thanks! Do you know if there is a decent supply of housing? Up here there is very little, and when something does come on the market it's gone within a matter of days, often above listing price.
In the Spring, the under $400k market was like that (my house is in that range and had five offers on it hte first day). It's settled down significantly. I agree that Wellesley is nice, but Twin Hickory is newer and has a fantastic location and Wyndham is a lovely neighborhood too (although a little older). A good Short Pump realtor will show you the area and see what you like.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:19 AM

Thanks, all! I have also heard Midlothian has good schools. Which zip code(s)? Bon Air?

Do you think one area (Midlothian vs. Henrico) is more welcoming to newcomers/transplants than the other? Is there a big difference in feel of the two places? We will go in person, just trying to get as much information online first.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:54 PM

412 posts, read 881,226 times
We looked a lot in both areas and ended up in Midlothian. We needed a bigger house and some land and got an acre and a 3500 sq foot house for a lot less than we were finding in Short Pump. Schools in NW Midlothian are great. I think both have tons of newcomers. My neighborhood is a mix but it was very welcoming. Short Pump is "busier" than Midlothian so there is a different feel. You won't go wrong either way, just what fits your family.
Zips in Midlo - 23113 is THE zip, 23114 (Charter Colony) and 23112 (Brandermill etc) -
Bon Air is also nice - some cute older areas and good schools.

You really do have good choices in Richmond. There is no ONE place to live. You can find the place that is right for your family.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:50 PM

1,428 posts, read 2,097,213 times
Quote:
Thanks, all! I have also heard Midlothian has good schools. Which zip code(s)? Bon Air?

Do you think one area (Midlothian vs. Henrico) is more welcoming to newcomers/transplants than the other? Is there a big difference in feel of the two places? We will go in person, just trying to get as much information online first.
Both of them are completely full of transplants, I wouldn't think there would be any general distinction, though sometimes specific neighborhoods are more or less friendly.

JCC swim lessons are great, but I'd think a bit of a pain from the far west end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or