U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-19-2013, 06:48 AM
 
Location: Virginia (again)
2,697 posts, read 8,011,087 times
Reputation: 1551

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesaf3 View Post
They got in the price range you are talking when they sold - say 160. City is more like $300 PDF, but bigger house. Normal Fan pricing is more like $240 for a nice, but not spectacular place. $300 is moving towards spectacular.

Net net, to live in the city they were will to pay 3x the amount, which does not give with the "city is awful" bit that was posted by someone above. I don't think Wyndham/twin hickory is considered a bad neighborhood, such that one would try to escape it...

I've been killed on pouncy tract so many times I avoid it like the plague. I also avoid short pump at all but random off hours. Except for Peter Chang, which is worth it.
Pouncey Tract really isn't that bad. But on our side of Broad we also now have North Gayton Expansion and can take 295 to Nuckols. The locals rarely get stuck in traffic.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-19-2013, 06:24 PM
 
1,356 posts, read 1,723,730 times
Reputation: 1042
Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
Dangerous? That seems a bit dramatic.

My point is there are vocal posters on both sides of this debate who are intolerant of the choices of others and cannot grasp that what makes them happy does not necessarily make everyone happy.
I'm not talking about ones preference for urban or suburban lifestyles

There's nothing "dramatic" about talking about the effects pathological stereotyping and how repeated narratives reinforce them. I pointed it earlier because it's obvious that some posters have never stepped foot inside or have interacted with said people in any meaningful way and my research interest focus on the present day manifestation of beliefs and stereotypes about social groups and the consequences of said beliefs and stereotypes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2013, 06:04 PM
 
5 posts, read 56,919 times
Reputation: 14
Sorry but unless you're living in zip code 23226 or 23221 within the city, it ain't that good.

23220? Maybe.

23222? 23223? 23224? 23225? 23227? Not that great. There are pockets of goodness to be sure but if you're trying to direct somebody who's never been here to the safe parts, those aren't the really safe parts.

Short Pump is proving not to be that safe either, with people getting kidnapped, carjacked & stuck up.

I'm sorry but Richmond has a very high poverty rate, and poverty leads to crime. The sections of Henrico & Chesterfield that bump up against the city are crime ridden as well.

Do the supermarket test: If the area of town has more than 1 supermarket, and those supermarkets leave pumpkins, potted plants, Xmas trees, firewood etc. out overnight, it's probably a decent neighborhood. If the neighborhood you're looking in has only 1 supermarket but nothing is left outside, keep moving.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2013, 08:27 PM
 
Location: Richmond, VA, from Boston
1,460 posts, read 2,277,566 times
Reputation: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalayy View Post
Sorry but unless you're living in zip code 23226 or 23221 within the city, it ain't that good.

23220? Maybe.

23222? 23223? 23224? 23225? 23227? Not that great. There are pockets of goodness to be sure but if you're trying to direct somebody who's never been here to the safe parts, those aren't the really safe parts.

Short Pump is proving not to be that safe either, with people getting kidnapped, carjacked & stuck up.

I'm sorry but Richmond has a very high poverty rate, and poverty leads to crime. The sections of Henrico & Chesterfield that bump up against the city are crime ridden as well.

Do the supermarket test: If the area of town has more than 1 supermarket, and those supermarkets leave pumpkins, potted plants, Xmas trees, firewood etc. out overnight, it's probably a decent neighborhood. If the neighborhood you're looking in has only 1 supermarket but nothing is left outside, keep moving.
Still spouting nonsense I see... Take a look at some data. Like house sales. Very few people pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to live in a bad neighborhood...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2013, 04:54 PM
 
1,153 posts, read 1,974,049 times
Reputation: 1139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesaf3 View Post
Still spouting nonsense I see... Take a look at some data. Like house sales. Very few people pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to live in a bad neighborhood...
Charles -- I think the world of you. Your posts have helped me a lot, but yes people pay a ton of money for gorgeous homes in really iffy areas.

I'm relatively new to VA so I can't rattle off names of neighborhoods very well, but I know there are beautiful homes in the North area that cost a fortune and are next neighborhoods I wouldn't want to live near.

And I do think the Fan -- as cool as it is -- is near sketchy neighborhoods.

Please don't get me wrong -- I'm not a huge advocate of the suburb, but safety is a big deal to me.

We come from a state where my husband grew up in a very cool, old neighborhood with amazing architecture. Really neat. But it bumped against a bad area. Turns out the bad area called my husband's cool area the "stop and shop." Garages were being burgled a lot. And worse went on.

My husband became an adult after living in the cool neighborhood his whole life and said, "Done. Somebody else can do that now." But his mom still lives there and still swears it's safe. It's not.

I guess rather than arguing we should get check crime stats.

Alley
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2013, 06:32 AM
 
5,546 posts, read 5,778,193 times
Reputation: 3787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalayy View Post
Sorry but unless you're living in zip code 23226 or 23221 within the city, it ain't that good.

23220? Maybe.

23222? 23223? 23224? 23225? 23227? Not that great. There are pockets of goodness to be sure but if you're trying to direct somebody who's never been here to the safe parts, those aren't the really safe parts.

Short Pump is proving not to be that safe either, with people getting kidnapped, carjacked & stuck up.

I'm sorry but Richmond has a very high poverty rate, and poverty leads to crime. The sections of Henrico & Chesterfield that bump up against the city are crime ridden as well.

Do the supermarket test: If the area of town has more than 1 supermarket, and those supermarkets leave pumpkins, potted plants, Xmas trees, firewood etc. out overnight, it's probably a decent neighborhood. If the neighborhood you're looking in has only 1 supermarket but nothing is left outside, keep moving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia64 View Post
Charles -- I think the world of you. Your posts have helped me a lot, but yes people pay a ton of money for gorgeous homes in really iffy areas.

I'm relatively new to VA so I can't rattle off names of neighborhoods very well, but I know there are beautiful homes in the North area that cost a fortune and are next neighborhoods I wouldn't want to live near.

And I do think the Fan -- as cool as it is -- is near sketchy neighborhoods.

Please don't get me wrong -- I'm not a huge advocate of the suburb, but safety is a big deal to me.

We come from a state where my husband grew up in a very cool, old neighborhood with amazing architecture. Really neat. But it bumped against a bad area. Turns out the bad area called my husband's cool area the "stop and shop." Garages were being burgled a lot. And worse went on.

My husband became an adult after living in the cool neighborhood his whole life and said, "Done. Somebody else can do that now." But his mom still lives there and still swears it's safe. It's not.

I guess rather than arguing we should get check crime stats.

Alley
The city of Richmond has bad areas just like any US city. Crime is pretty average here, and getting better every year. There's certainly room for improvement.

That being said, if you think the Fan, Bellevue, Museum District are dangerous, you should absolutely not live in the city. Every US city has bad blocks and crime, it's just a reality. You have to be thoughtful, which I believe is just part of living in the real world, but the fact of the matter is that people like you will comb through crime stats and watch the evening news and continue to frighten yourselves. Or worse, you'll walk around at midnight with headphones on or leave valuables on the seat of your car and become a victim. City living isn't for everyone in this day and age.

Btw - Short Pump not safe? Dalayy, checkout the crime stats on the moon.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2013, 01:14 PM
 
1,153 posts, read 1,974,049 times
Reputation: 1139
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
The city of Richmond has bad areas just like any US city. Crime is pretty average here, and getting better every year. There's certainly room for improvement.

That being said, if you think the Fan, Bellevue, Museum District are dangerous, you should absolutely not live in the city. Every US city has bad blocks and crime, it's just a reality. You have to be thoughtful, which I believe is just part of living in the real world, but the fact of the matter is that people like you will comb through crime stats and watch the evening news and continue to frighten yourselves. Or worse, you'll walk around at midnight with headphones on or leave valuables on the seat of your car and become a victim. City living isn't for everyone in this day and age.

Btw - Short Pump not safe? Dalayy, checkout the crime stats on the moon.
I completely agree with you. I frighten myself to a certain extent but I'm also cautious and careful. So I live in Short Pump.

I also agree with you that Short Pump only makes the news because it rarely makes the news. That's why it makes the news, everyone, get it?

Alley
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2018, 08:59 AM
 
1 posts, read 1,204 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondpics View Post
RVA mailing address = bad?? Right. Windsor Farms = bad. Not quite.
Windsor farms?? You are a joke. Windsor farms is several blocks of mansion estates owned by Virginias richest residents..like names like Schwartzchild, Wilton..A working person will never step foot in Windsor Farms. If you have a few million dollars, then, yes...you can find a safe, nice, Richmond neighborhood. . The city and surrounding areas are black majority...thugs, drugs, fighting, rap music blasting out of pimped out cars, pit bulls, stores are always dirty, people in slippers, hair curlers. Richmond I'd the 16 the largest city set up to take immigrants from the middle east. Richmond City Henrico Chesterfield County apartment owners have all made contract deals with the US government to take in these refugees and let them live for free in those apartments alongside working people who are paying upwards of $1,000 a month to live there. Your neighbors will be Muslims living for free ..white people are def the minority here, and you will feel out of place. I would seriously advise a single white female not to come to Richmond. And is if the immigrants and the black majority population isn't enough Richmond was voted as being one of the last places singles will find love. Hey, here's a thought.. black majority ghetto with a huge immigrant population = bad
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2018, 10:21 AM
 
Location: Midlothian, VA
479 posts, read 504,077 times
Reputation: 334
Wow that was a fairly racist rant - I do not agree with most of RVAJEEP's take on Richmond. He obviously has some issues with his apartment complex.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2018, 08:25 AM
 
126 posts, read 432,940 times
Reputation: 116
OP, the best way to determine the suitability of an area is to go to www.trulia.com

Enter the address you're interested in and go to the crime section. It will show you with green, yellow, orange, and red the crime areas.

Search multiple areas in the metro. There are plenty of places with green all around.

Trulia also shows the number of crimes within the area.

Note:. Hanover isn't accurately shown, so you need to use their gis system.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top