Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 10:19 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,541,703 times

Advertisements

What parts of Richmond's architecture remind you of Charleston, what neighborhood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 08:26 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,379,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
What parts of Richmond's architecture remind you of Charleston, what neighborhood?
Not familiar with the neighborhoods of Richmond but some areas had these rectangular houses that were close together and all were different colors, reminded me of pictures of Charleston neighborhoods. Plus I noticed a lot of old cathedral type churches similar to Charleston also. Gave Richmond an old south feel.

Old 08-05-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Not familiar with the neighborhoods of Richmond but some areas had these rectangular houses that were close together and all were different colors, reminded me of pictures of Charleston neighborhoods. Plus I noticed a lot of old cathedral type churches similar to Charleston also. Gave Richmond an old south feel.
Oh, okay. Were you talking about these houses below? (My pictures by the way)
Attached Thumbnails
How southern is Richmond?-dsc_0511.jpg   How southern is Richmond?-dsc_0506.jpg   How southern is Richmond?-dsc_0505.jpg   How southern is Richmond?-dsc_0519.jpg  

Old 08-05-2016, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Oh, okay. Were you talking about these houses below? (My pictures by the way)
The third picture is closest to what I saw, but the houses were not together. I love the architecture and different colors on each house. Raleigh doesn't have houses put together like that. We have houses in downtown that were restored to look like that but not put together.

Old 08-05-2016, 02:37 PM

Quote:
The third picture is closest to what I saw, but the houses were not together. I love the architecture and different colors on each house. Raleigh doesn't have houses put together like that. We have houses in downtown that were restored to look like that but not put together.
Yeah. One thing though about Richmond's inner city layout and neighborhoods is that it doesn't fit in with any North Carolina city. That's the elephant in the room and why part of why many refer to Richmond as a Mid-Atlantic city (not the original Northeastern Mid-Atlantic but this new definition of Mid-Atlantic).

Old 08-05-2016, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Yeah. One thing though about Richmond's inner city layout and neighborhoods is that it doesn't fit in with any North Carolina city. That's the elephant in the room and why part of why many refer to Richmond as a Mid-Atlantic city (not the original Northeastern Mid-Atlantic but this new definition of Mid-Atlantic).
I agree with that, looking at a map was enough for me to see that. Definitely had a more mid Atlantic city type layout. Richmond is a beautiful city none the less. I certainly thought so. It did look more rundown than Raleigh though.

Old 08-05-2016, 05:23 PM

626 posts, read 378,020 times
Quote:
I agree with that, looking at a map was enough for me to see that. Definitely had a more mid Atlantic city type layout. Richmond is a beautiful city none the less. I certainly thought so. It did look more rundown than Raleigh though.
If I remember correctly almost 1/3 of Richmond burned down during the Civil War so the architecture might not do the city's history justice.

Old 08-07-2016, 02:30 AM

23,809 posts, read 34,457,304 times
Quote:
Go to all 3 of the Poe houses. They are in Richmond, Baltimore, & Philadelphia.

Old 08-11-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Go to all 3 of the Poe houses. They are in Richmond, Baltimore, & Philadelphia.
There's also his cottage in the Bronx.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:58 PM

370 posts, read 1,006,541 times
Quote:

My first thought was the little neighborhood labeled "Uptown". But the houses are together here too.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond