Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 10:35 PM

1 posts, read 17,491 times

Advertisements

I am a single gay, guy in my 20s who will soon be graduating from grad school and moving to Richmond. Are there neighborhoods that have a more predominant gay population? Also, what is gay life like in Richmond? I am orignally from Kansas, have lived in NYC for a short while, and now live in Columbus, Oh which are all different in terms of gay life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 04:01 PM

111 posts, read 427,232 times
Richmond does not really have neighborhoods identifiable as 'gay' like some cities do. If I had to choose one, it would be the Fan, Shockoe Bottom or maybe even Church Hill.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:34 AM

3 posts, read 23,142 times
i currently live in the northside if richmond near bellevue/west side of ginter park. my particular neighborhood is extremely mixed with people of all shapes, sizes, ages, colors, sexual preferences and lifestyles. i love it! and there are tons of properties for sale right now. if you would like more info, let me know!

Old 12-03-2007, 09:48 PM

4 posts, read 28,319 times
As someone else said, there are no neighborhoods that are predominately gay ... that is, majority gay. Gays are openly well-integrated throughout the area. The CITY is much more highly populated with gays than the suburban counites. Stick to the City of Richmond and you'll be good. I'd suggest first, The Fan (incuding Tuscan Villas condos on Boulevard where my partner and I live); also the Museum District, Shockoe Bottom, Downtown are all very welcoming. If you want a yard (or a bigger yard) go for Northside (gay but my impression has always been a higher lesbian presence). The "scene" here is really integrated and mainstream. Some gay bars, etc., but not great. Most gays -- like most other people -- quietly go about thier business doing regular stuff people do. Social scene (other than occasional bars - gay or mixed) for most people revolves around private social gettogethers, restaurrants, etc. You'll be quite comfortable in ANY restaurant in the CITY (can't speak for the burbs), There is a new GREAT gettogether every 4th Friday when a couple of hundred gays more or less take over a mostly-straight bar -- with consent of the owners. It has been GREAT fun and will be a good opportunity for you to meet folks. EMAIL me for more info on this or other stuff. wetumpka@comcast.net --- Ron

Old 09-08-2010, 11:32 PM

1 posts, read 14,166 times
Hello, friends from Virginia. Nice to know about this wonderful city and its gay friendly population. I have plane to go there to visit and to study too. I am from Brazil and was a little nervous if there they would be friendly with gay community. Thanks for to make me more confidente in to go there. Here in São Paulo we have a big parade every year, but we are starting to create a society free of prejudices yet. Kisses and hugs from Brazil for all of you. Giballin - [email]giballingilberto@yahoo.com.br[/email]

Old 09-10-2010, 07:41 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,183,818 times
Sorry but it is not especially "gay friendly" here (I am not btw but to each their own). I suggest the west coast.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:40 AM

24 posts, read 79,517 times
Richmond is certainly no San Francisco or Seattle. That being said, the Fan and Museum District are pretty darn gay. I'm not really sure about how big or active the gay community is here, since I'm straight, but I see tons of gay people all over the West End.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:52 AM

631 posts, read 1,285,722 times
I agree that Richmond City is gay friendly (the Fan, Museum Dist., Oregon Hill, Carver, Jackson Ward, Monroe Ward, Shockoe Bottom, and Church Hill all being great neighborhoods). The West End may also be a good option, though there are many straight families there and you may feel outcast. Richmond is no NYC, but it's probably better than where you're living in Ohio or Kansas.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:52 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,521,273 times
Gay life in Richmond, to put it kindly is subtle, more realistically - repressed. They are expected to keep their place, no holding hands in public please. I lived there my entire life, when I retired, I moved west. Gay people in Richmond are also more reserved in terms of making friends. That said, gay people are comfortable and Richmond itself is a beautiful city. The Byrd Park area is also called Lavender Pointe. Take a peek.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:57 PM

20 posts, read 60,151 times
So, Richmond is Still very much a southern city, and while its fortunate to be in Va (a very advanced state socially in my opinion) it is not any city where you would expect to see a huge gay scene. The city is fairly small and therefore the gay scene is even smaller. Fortunately if you live Downtown (anywhere downtown really) everyone is very integrated and you will feel at home among everyone. If you are looking for an area that is Specifically gay, with rainbow flags and all, you wont find it. The closest youll get to that is walking through VCU's campus and checking out some of the Flaming freshman boys throwin it out. Clubfly.com however has a goodlisting of all the clubs and bars that are gay though so that should help. Have Fun in Rva! You'll Love it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond