U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2014, 01:24 PM

3,977 posts, read 6,500,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
+1 I live in NJ currently and was visiting the area for a week ,loved it ! I was staying in the short pump area and noticed how people tried too hard. Guess they should come up to NJ and see if they can survive . I could really careless about what people drive or what kinda house they live in. I just like to be in an area with down to earth laid back friendly people. I really really liked the midlothian area as well, def potential to move down to VA
Oh the West End isn't bad and there are a lot of different neighborhoods that can fit anyone's needs. The area around Godwin HS is nice and Godwin HS is pretty darn good. And then there are the neighborhoods by Holman MS and Rivers Edge ES which are nice, and ones around Innsbrook. Personally I like the West End and so do a lot of ex-pats (I'm from Long Island), snobs I just laugh at and ignore.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 04:25 PM

2 posts, read 4,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub99 View Post
We moved to Richmond last summer, ending up in the far west end (Wyndham area) mainly based on that area's schools' great reputations.

Six months later and we have been beat down by the amazing lack of friendliness in our immediate area. Our neighbors to either side of us have spoken to us a grand total of one time between them. We have made efforts to initiate conversation with other neighbors and most have given us the cold shoulder and a few have been downright rude. Many seem highly competitive - my car is better than yours, my kid is smarter than yours and is involved in so many awesome activities, and obviously I have a very important job...

Even our real estate agent who lives 2 minutes from us commented on the adjustment when they moved here several years ago, basically accepting the fact that neighbors were not neighborly.

We have made connections with a small number of people. Interestingly they have also had similar frustrations. So we try to push forward with a positive attitude.

My question is...is this typical for Richmond as a whole or is it more isolated to the far west end? We'd hate to move again only to find a similar atmosphere somewhere else in the Richmond area.
_____
To be a true Richmond 'snob' one must realize that the 'West End' is a term and place that came about years and years ago, and it is the City Of Richmond, West of Malvern..Not Henrico County's 'Westend'..Tell your snobbish neighbors that.
In the 70s and 80s the term 'the Fabulous West End' was coined, and it truly has the 'real' Richmonders.
The Far WestEnd of Henrico County is all 'new comers'...that, yes, have money...as Wyndham is indeed lovely...but sort of Stepford Wife-ish. I guess the point of my reply is to say: Move to Richmond (unless you have kids in highschool, and if so, be prepared to send them to private school. That is the sad thing about Richmond, once out of elementary school the westend neighborhood schools are abandoned by the neighbors, and are bused into, from, far away areas.).
The West End of Richmond is beautiful, not cookie cutter, unique, and open to all people. It is very welcoming, doesn't have the high traffic of Henrico, and has fantastic restaurants near by...Plus the Museum, history, architecture, etc...Come take a look!

Old 02-17-2014, 08:44 PM

The older neighborhoods have a nice flair about them.

Meanwhile the folks on River Road laugh at us rabble in the Far West End.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:00 PM

120 posts, read 191,715 times
We moved from the Crestview ES district to the Wyndham Forest neighborhood a few years ago, where my kids now go to Rivers Edge ES. I do like the school administration, but I definitely think there is a level of elitism and snobbery. When a 4th grader is wearing designer boots, I'm rolling my eyes. If I could do it over again, I would have stayed in the Near West End.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:44 AM

2,697 posts, read 7,120,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Well it's obviously the people we come in contact with or we'd never have heard it either. Mostly it's said jokingly (yes a slum on a golf course with a pool and pocket parks), sometimes by insecure people looking down their noses at renters, those with less than pristine lawns or those in the smaller homes. Not really a big deal, just one of those things.

TDC is that way now, but before they needed the cash and some new blood they would discourage outsiders from joining. Also try scraping up $200-$400 when you're not making enough to pay the mortgage and maintenance fees because you lost your job. We personally know of quite a few folks living paycheck to paycheck there, but that may just be some of the people we hang out with.
Fair enough: )

There are certainly people living paycheck to paycheck all over the FWE. Wyndham is just a large neighborhood of 1,600 homes. The generalizations, IMO, are silly.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkang View Post
We moved from the Crestview ES district to the Wyndham Forest neighborhood a few years ago, where my kids now go to Rivers Edge ES. I do like the school administration, but I definitely think there is a level of elitism and snobbery. When a 4th grader is wearing designer boots, I'm rolling my eyes. If I could do it over again, I would have stayed in the Near West End.
Apparently the "uniform" for 5th grade girls is a North Face jacket and Uggs. Ugh.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
There are certainly people living paycheck to paycheck all over the FWE. Wyndham is just a large neighborhood of 1,600 homes. The generalizations, IMO, are silly.
Silly to a certain extent, but I think Wyndham gets its rep (deserved or not) as it does have a higher concentration of folks looking for a bit of something more in where they live as opposed to Hampshire, Covington, Gray Oaks, etc). Actually having the money to do so comfortably is another story, but Wyndham does give a wide economic group a chance to go for that extra something. I also think the immediate area has benefited quite a bit for having Wyndham around.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Silly to a certain extent, but I think Wyndham gets its rep (deserved or not) as it does have a higher concentration of folks looking for a bit of something more in where they live as opposed to Hampshire, Covington, Gray Oaks, etc). Actually having the money to do so comfortably is another story, but Wyndham does give a wide economic group a chance to go for that extra something. I also think the immediate area has benefited quite a bit for having Wyndham around.
You've lost me.

It along with TH are the largest neighborhoods on this side of Broad Street. Both offer a wide range of homes from apartments to townhouses to gigantic SFHs. Wyndham has more high end custom homes than TH.

I'm not sure I get how that's a bad thing or how people who move into Wyndham are looking for a bit of something more in where they live (or why that's a bad thing).

I've purchased in Wyndham twice and once in a neighborhood carved out of Wyndham (which was not my cup of tea--land locked and cliquey). We rented a SFH in Wyndham before we purchased. Maybe I'm in the minority, but my purchase was motivated by 1) the neighborhood elementary school which I felt enhanced the feeling of community and which is consistently top rated, 2) sidewalks everywhere and lots of playgrounds, and 3) the neighborhood pool with a swim team. My kids play with kids who live in million dollar homes and kids who live in $300K homes. They notice that some of their friends have huge homes (well my son does) but other than that they really don't care nor do I.

Maybe Wyndham attracts people who value amenities which Hampshire, Westchase and Covington don't have. I'm a one person case study but that's why I won't leave Wyndham as long as I live in the area.

Again, the OP said the Wyndham area. He didn't say Wyndham to my knowledge. He may very well live in your neighborhood : )

Old 02-20-2014, 05:21 PM

387 posts, read 418,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub99 View Post
We moved to Richmond last summer, ending up in the far west end (Wyndham area) mainly based on that area's schools' great reputations.

Six months later and we have been beat down by the amazing lack of friendliness in our immediate area. Our neighbors to either side of us have spoken to us a grand total of one time between them. We have made efforts to initiate conversation with other neighbors and most have given us the cold shoulder and a few have been downright rude. Many seem highly competitive - my car is better than yours, my kid is smarter than yours and is involved in so many awesome activities, and obviously I have a very important job...

Even our real estate agent who lives 2 minutes from us commented on the adjustment when they moved here several years ago, basically accepting the fact that neighbors were not neighborly.

We have made connections with a small number of people. Interestingly they have also had similar frustrations. So we try to push forward with a positive attitude.

My question is...is this typical for Richmond as a whole or is it more isolated to the far west end? We'd hate to move again only to find a similar atmosphere somewhere else in the Richmond area.
LOL I love when this comes up. Welcome to the Far West End! You're not alone. Many people, including myself, cannot stand the people in and around Short Pump/Wyndham. Don't fret, as most of us native Richmonders are not that way. I still remember when there was nothing but woods past Pouncey Tract and I'm only in my mid-20's. Gives you an idea of how vast that area has expanded in a short time. In my EMT class when my instructor would describe properly opening an airway on a patient he would always say, "use the West End nose". Sorry, I always had a chuckle at that term, but it was very easy to remember.

Have you checked into relocating to Hanover? The Atlee/Elmont area has great schools without all the smug and snobby people.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:52 AM

6,021 posts, read 7,150,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltforSin View Post
LOL I love when this comes up. Welcome to the Far West End! You're not alone. Many people, including myself, cannot stand the people in and around Short Pump/Wyndham. Don't fret, as most of us native Richmonders are not that way. I still remember when there was nothing but woods past Pouncey Tract and I'm only in my mid-20's. Gives you an idea of how vast that area has expanded in a short time. In my EMT class when my instructor would describe properly opening an airway on a patient he would always say, "use the West End nose". Sorry, I always had a chuckle at that term, but it was very easy to remember.

Have you checked into relocating to Hanover? The Atlee/Elmont area has great schools without all the smug and snobby people.
Elmont/PHHS is cool but Atlee area is like the FWE......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond