Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 01:50 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,939,445 times

Advertisements

The vibe is mainly laid back. Downtown, you'll see quite a bit of people out on the weekends and weekday evenings jogging, taking a walk, or going to bars/restaurants. Main St. in the Fan and certain areas of Shockoe Bottom are pretty active on Friday/Saturday nights as well. Richmond isn't a large or 24 hour city, so if you're looking for more energy, you should try elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 05:58 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,851,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
Downtown is kinda quite. Shockoe and Carytown have stuff going on though. Richmond's a small city. More like a busy town really. I think what hurts it is that the public transit is a joke, no trains so the people that really live in "the city" are confined more.
So so true. Transit is a disaster unless you live in one of four neighborhoods. Even then, good luck getting outside the city if you need to for work. It's one of the big reasons we're moving out of Richmond in 2015.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:13 PM

646 posts, read 924,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
So so true. Transit is a disaster unless you live in one of four neighborhoods. Even then, good luck getting outside the city if you need to for work. It's one of the big reasons we're moving out of Richmond in 2015.
Well, I dont use mass transit at all so it doesnt matter.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:50 PM

457 posts, read 692,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlite View Post
I live in the NYC metro area and looking to move soon for better QOL. Richmond looks like it could be one of the options, since it's pretty close and therefore easier to get a job in/move and has a nice location. I really like going to the ocean beaches in the summer so that's a plus. The economy seems good, and there are jobs for me, while COL is low. I also like the idea that I have other big cities close by like DC, Bmore and Philly so I could easily move around if need be for a job or what not. I realize its not gon be like NYC, and I don't want it to be. I also realize that no place is perfect, but I am quite open minded. I used to live in Portland, OR so wondering how Richmond compares to it. I actually don't like Portland and think it's boring and corny with all the hipster nonsense. That said, its a larger metro so wondering if Richmond would offer less or not really. Other questions:

What's the vibe like?

Mainly laid back

Is there distinct southern character and southern accent? Would it be a culture shock to someone like me?

Yes, and yes. If one of the two bother you then this is not a place for you

I like diversity and am liberal leaning . How is the overall culture and mindset of people and race relations? Are there diverse suburbs?

Culture is good. This is mostly conservative, but there is, unfortunately, a growing liberal population. Race relations are okay I suppose. Suburbs are diverse.

Are there many things to do in the city and suburbs? How do people spend time usually?

Many things yes. Parks, clubs, bars, museums, festivals, etc.

How's nightlife? Are there good museums, strip clubs, concerts, restaurants?

See above.

Are there any good Hip Hop clubs, events, parties?

I'm sure there are, but none that I've ever been to.

How's the women?

Women are all crazy. They're the same everywhere you go.

How are immigrants looked at? (I'm Russian)

There are many eastern European immigrants around RVA. You won't have a a problem. Most people only have an issue with illegal immigrants.

Any other relevant info will be helpful.
I recommend googling Richmond news sites, park sites, etc. There's a ton of info. Hope I have helped in some way.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:39 PM

646 posts, read 924,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltforSin View Post
I recommend googling Richmond news sites, park sites, etc. There's a ton of info. Hope I have helped in some way.
Cool

Old 03-20-2014, 05:10 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,046,228 times
This may help you:

http://www.meetup.com/Richmond-Speakers-of-Russian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
View detailed profiles of: