Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2014, 06:33 PM

3 posts, read 4,835 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are tired of the Buffalo NY winters. This last one was the end. Additionally we are both retired and boaters who will not get our boat on the river until June due to ice on the Great Lakes.

We are looking to relocate to areas around RVA and southeast toward Lanexa/Toano etc. Williamsburg is too pricey. We’d like to stay about 45 minutes or less from the Chickahominy River.

I’d like some input on what areas to locate to/stay away from. Proximate closeness to shopping/medical areas would be nice, defining proximate as 15-25 minutes.

Once I get some locales I can start looking at housing. Then I’ll have more questions.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by BuffalotoRVA; 04-25-2014 at 06:35 PM.. Reason: add more text
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 02:47 PM

689 posts, read 1,608,352 times
My husband I used to have a boat that we kept both in Portsmouth and on the Bay. There are a lot of reasonable properties in the eastern part of the state right now, although our housing market does seem to be picking up quickly this spring. Is there a particular reason you chose the Chickahominy? I'd look in Hopewell and Smithfield, see if either of those areas have what you're looking for. Hopewell is mixed, and doesn't have great schools, but there are some nice communities close to the water.There are also several 55 or better communities in Charles City and New Kent Counties that are relatively new and seem to offer great amenities. There are also non-age-restricted communities like Patriot's Landing that put you on the eastern side of Richmond. Williamsburg is very expensive. If you're not tied to the Chickahominy, you might look up on the northern Neck -- Tappahannock is right on the water (Rappahannock), West Point is right on the York River, and there are numerous small communities like Kilmarnock, Urbanna, Reedville and Mathews. you might look at realtor.com and see what's available. Kilmarnock itself can be expensive, but living just outside town can be reasonable. If you want to be closer to a city (RIC), then I'd look at Richmond itself or the immediate outskirts, because we're within 45 minutes of the water, if you're on the eastern part of town.

Old 04-26-2014, 05:36 PM

Thanks for your reply novanwbie. We're looking at the Chick because it's fresh water opposed to the brackish/salt elsewhere. Cruising through the salt/brackish waters and then back to the Chick will flush the engine.

We've been through some of the areas you mentioned Kilmarnock, Tappahanock etc. We'd like to be closer to RIC for some ongoing medical issues my wife needs treated for.

What do you know about Chester? Chesterfield county? We've seen some nice houses in that area? Any input is appreciated.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:41 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,131,890 times
Chester? I love Chester! We've been here since 2007. What do you need to know?

Old 04-30-2014, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onevthoki View Post
Chester? I love Chester! We've been here since 2007. What do you need to know?
I'm looking for suggestions on good locales for a retired couple. Chester seems to be in the country but close to RIC.

I'm not concerned about schools, but would like to be close to shopping/grocery etc.

One thing I've noticed is that most houses have well water or a community well and septic systems. I can handle the septic tank, but have concerns about how you maintain the well water to avoid contamination/foul smells/bad taste. What happens when the well runs dry?

I've lived in many places, this is my first encounter with wells.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:48 PM

689 posts, read 1,608,352 times
I don't know much about Chester, except we have friends who live there, and they love it. They are on a city line, though. I think most of Chester is incorporated, but onevthoki would know better than I. My big question would be the access to medical care -- I'm not sure how far you'd be from a facility if you needed regular attention. On the whole, though, with VCU/MCV and all the other facilities in the area, we have excellent medical care available. Good luck!

Old 05-02-2014, 05:38 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,131,890 times
BuffalotoRVA, if well water is your concern, I think you are going to be fine. The majority of Chester is on County water. Chesterfield, which is more rural, is where well water may come in to play. Confusing I know. Chesterfield County is based on the concept of Villages.... the Village of Chester, the Village of Ettrick, the Village of Matoaca, etc. Chester is in the eastern part of the County, and a normal suburb for the most part, with 1/3-3/4 acre lots (rule of thumb). Once you get out into Chesterfield, think closer to Pocahontas State Park, is where you will find larger lots and perhaps well water.

For fresh water, you should be able to use Lake Chesdin. There are also the James and Appomattox Rivers, and then a little further south, lake Gaston. I'm not much of a boater/fisherman, but I have a friend that fishes in tournaments, and can ask him if you have specific questions. Just let me know.

On the medical access, depending on the needs, Chesterfield County is great. From Chester, I hop on I95, and can be in the parking garage for VCU within 22minutes (son is followed there by the craniofacial team). There is also Saint Francis Medical Center, a Bon Secours facility, located in Midlothian.

Another thing to watch is that often you will be looking at a home that is in Chesterfield County, but the mailing address may be Colonial Heights, Richmond, or even Petersburg. Confusing definitely! Here is a link that gives some additional information... County of Chesterfield, VA | ZIP Code Modifications - Government

Hope this helps and if you can think of anything else you might need to know, please don't hesitate to let me know!

Old 05-04-2014, 07:24 PM

88 posts, read 156,941 times
Great info about from onevthoki. Chester is actually part of Chesterfield County. It has quick access to 95 to shoot up to the city, and 288 to shoot over to the West End of Richmond and Midlothian. I lived there for a few years. It is a pretty nice area.

I would recommend the Midlothian side of Chesterfield if you are looking for more places to go/eat though. You'll also be even closer to the West End and the city. You have access to 288 and Powhite Parkway right near there. I found when I lived in Chester I was constantly driving up to Hull Street/Midlothian Tnpk for things. Once I moved to Midlothian I almost stopped going back down to Chester completely. It's definitely worth spending a day driving around the area to see what you like/dislike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond