U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2014, 10:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,848 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,
I grew up in Midlothian and moved away after high school for most of my adult life.
I've been back a lot, so I'm aware of how richmond and surrounding areas have changed a lot since the 90's (i.e. the new developments in the west end area etc)

I didn't love Midlothian growing up...found it to be a bit snobby/pretentious because I lived in Salisbury, and also it was too much of a hassle to get to Richmond for having fun. I did like that I had a nice backyard with trees and the schools nearby were all wonderful.

I have lived in the north side of Richmond (bellevue) for a few months here and there as an adult and have found it to be nice and eclectic in comparison to midlo, but the schools surrounding it seem to be sort of "ghetto" based on what people in the neighborhood have said and are not rated well online.

I need to move back to the Richmond area next year with my husband and am also going to be starting a family

I have been looking into either the Tuckahoe area or Mechanicsville because the schools seem great. The west end just seems like another (worse) version of Midlothian to me and my husband can't deal with the crazy shopping traffic near short pump.

Few questions:
Anyone know what the general "vibe" is of Mechanicsville? I never visited there when I was growing up and I'm sure it has changed since then anyways. Is is just another outer richmond suburban town like Midlo or is it a different feel? Any cool neighborhoods there for a new "30-something's" family?

How long would it take to get from Mechanicsville to downtown richmond in general? Just as bad of a commute as Midlothian?

Is Tuckahoe almost as affordable? Which neighborhoods would you recommend there?
Which schools in Tuckahoe are good, and are there any to be avoided?

Thanks so much! I would really appreciate any feedback as it is hard to get any REAL information online using google maps and realtor sites!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 02:58 AM

2,697 posts, read 7,120,164 times
Mechanicsville, Midlothian, and Short Pump are interchangeable in my opinion when it comes to quality of schools and therefore the types of people who live there.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:18 PM

15 posts, read 28,608 times
We've been renting in the tuckahoe area for a few months while we get acquinted with the Richmond area, but bought a house and will be moving to "Mechanicsville" (actually Hanover county, but our address is Mechanicsville) next month. Here are my thoughts coming from a couple in our mid 30's, (upper?) middle class, 2 kids in preschool. Obviously you need to get a feel for these areas yourself

Tuckahoe area - I love the proximity to downtown, love the established neighborhoods and unique houses, schools seemed good, people friendly and down to earth, diverse population. I like to bike commute, and had no issues finding routes downtown or with drivers. In general our "perfect" house was well outside our price range in this area, which was a big deciding factor not moving here permanently. Compromises must be made, and we decided other aspects of home ownership (square footage, layout, age, garages) were a little more important than this particular location for us.

Hanover County - we were looking in the Atlee Station Rd/New Ashcake Rd areas that have lots of typical culd-de-sac neighborhoods, more affordable than tuckahoe for newer houses, no shopping center traffic, lots of neighborhoods with pools, good schools, easy car commute to downtown (a little closer distance than Short Pump, and closer than Salisbury with no tolls). Negatives in my mind: less diverse population, not sure I'll be able to bike commute downtown, drivers less tolerant of bikers, less "things to do" (but this also goes along with less shopping trafic).

Salisbury/Midlothian - I really liked this area when we looked, but my wife works north of downtown so we didn't want her to have to drive 20 miles and pay tolls for daily commuting. If both of us worked downtown or further south we would have very strongly considered this area.

IMHO each area is unique in some way, so I wouldn't say any of them are "interchangeable". We found that we would have to sacrifice something we wanted living in any of the areas (but all have excellent schools), and decided on a newer house, no tolls, and avoiding the traffic. Good luck on your search!

Old 05-21-2014, 01:45 PM

2,697 posts, read 7,120,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncwildh2o View Post
We've been renting in the tuckahoe area for a few months while we get acquinted with the Richmond area, but bought a house and will be moving to "Mechanicsville" (actually Hanover county, but our address is Mechanicsville) next month. Here are my thoughts coming from a couple in our mid 30's, (upper?) middle class, 2 kids in preschool. Obviously you need to get a feel for these areas yourself

Tuckahoe area - I love the proximity to downtown, love the established neighborhoods and unique houses, schools seemed good, people friendly and down to earth, diverse population. I like to bike commute, and had no issues finding routes downtown or with drivers. In general our "perfect" house was well outside our price range in this area, which was a big deciding factor not moving here permanently. Compromises must be made, and we decided other aspects of home ownership (square footage, layout, age, garages) were a little more important than this particular location for us.

Hanover County - we were looking in the Atlee Station Rd/New Ashcake Rd areas that have lots of typical culd-de-sac neighborhoods, more affordable than tuckahoe for newer houses, no shopping center traffic, lots of neighborhoods with pools, good schools, easy car commute to downtown (a little closer distance than Short Pump, and closer than Salisbury with no tolls). Negatives in my mind: less diverse population, not sure I'll be able to bike commute downtown, drivers less tolerant of bikers, less "things to do" (but this also goes along with less shopping trafic).

Salisbury/Midlothian - I really liked this area when we looked, but my wife works north of downtown so we didn't want her to have to drive 20 miles and pay tolls for daily commuting. If both of us worked downtown or further south we would have very strongly considered this area.

IMHO each area is unique in some way, so I wouldn't say any of them are "interchangeable". We found that we would have to sacrifice something we wanted living in any of the areas (but all have excellent schools), and decided on a newer house, no tolls, and avoiding the traffic. Good luck on your search!
They're interchangeable in the sense that the demographics are similar. These areas attract highly educated/high income people who care a lot about the schools. That means the schools are competitive, the parents are competitive, and the kids are competitive. Tons of "gifted" students, etc. That's just my $0.02.

Old 01-14-2017, 11:04 AM

3 posts, read 1,365 times
In my opinion, the Tuckahoe area is a little more expensive than mechanicville. However, the commute downtown is shorter. Roughly 15-18 minutes. Most neighborhoods in Tuckahoe are nice, older, upper middle class to wealthy neighborhoods. Neighborhoods that I would recomend include Westham, Ziontown, University Heights, All of the neighborhoods close to the University of Richmond, Sleepy Hollow, Farmington (more working class), the neighborhoods that surround Freeman High School, Three Chopt (Near University of Richmond). Most of the schools are also very good. All of the public schools in Tuckahoe have been fully accredited. The best public schools in the area are: Elementary: Tuckahoe (ranked 20th out of 1095 VA Elementary Schools), Maybeury (Ranked 430th out of 1095 VA Schools), Three Chopt (Ranked 175th out of 1095 VA Schools, and Davis (354th out of 1095 VA Schools). Middle: Tuckahoe (Ranked 184th out of 405 VA Schools). High: Freeman (Ranked 123 out of 320 VA Schools). The schools in most of the areas that border Tuckahoe are also ranked well. The only Public school to avoid would be Ridge Elementary. It is still fully accredited. It used to be a good school. It has changed however in the past two years. This is due to many new people moving into rental areas around Regency Mall. The vibe of Tuckahoe as a whole could be described as a preppy old suburb with many old generation families. There are alot of people here who attended highly ranked colleges including Ivy League Schools. The educational attainment is also high. The educational attainment for Tuckahoe is:

Less than high school: 6.5%
High School or Higher: 93.5%
Bachelors Degree or Higher: 55%
Graduate or Professional Degree: 23%

Old 01-14-2017, 11:05 AM

3 posts, read 1,365 times
I used many sources when writing this post. I also grew up in Tuckahoe. This is my experience. My soucres include City-data.com, Schooldigger.com, census.gov/quickfacts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond