Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2014, 01:49 PM

41 posts, read 84,617 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are looking at homes for sale in the West End and have a daughter who will be in middle school. We're planning ahead and trying to buy in an area that feeds into a good public high school as we don't want to move again in a few years. We're wondering what your thoughts are on these two schools and if one is just stand out better than the other. Or are they pretty similar? It seems you get more home for the $ closer to Godwin, but then, is it that much further to town, drive-wise? I think we're also a bit nervous about being in the burbs, that we won't get into the city or won't have anything interesting to walk to (coffee shop, large park, restaurant, etc.).

We've been to the city before but are moving from out of state. There are a lot of areas we've liked in and around town but schools are a big concern. For reference, we're looking at homes under $375,000

Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 06:43 PM

17 posts, read 16,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagrommm View Post
Hi, we are looking at homes for sale in the West End and have a daughter who will be in middle school. We're planning ahead and trying to buy in an area that feeds into a good public high school as we don't want to move again in a few years. We're wondering what your thoughts are on these two schools and if one is just stand out better than the other. Or are they pretty similar? It seems you get more home for the $ closer to Godwin, but then, is it that much further to town, drive-wise? I think we're also a bit nervous about being in the burbs, that we won't get into the city or won't have anything interesting to walk to (coffee shop, large park, restaurant, etc.).

We've been to the city before but are moving from out of state. There are a lot of areas we've liked in and around town but schools are a big concern. For reference, we're looking at homes under $375,000

Thanks for any advice!
at a very high level, without getting into specifics, Godwin is considered superior than Freeman. it probably is considered the best public high school in the area.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:04 PM

19,004 posts, read 16,817,402 times
Give it a few days and you will probably have responses from posters who will dispute the above statement....

Old 07-12-2014, 01:40 PM

689 posts, read 1,607,893 times
Godwin is an excellent school --VA Yankee is right, there will soon be a debate raging -- but Godwin and Freeman are the old stalwarts of Henrico Co., with the newer schools like Deep Run and Glen Allen drawing their own fans. Godwin still tends to rank highest in the area on many charts; I would be thrilled to send my child there (although we're very happy to live in the Midlothian HS district).

I would not worry about being too far from the city; when we lived in the Godwin district we still went downtown regularly, and we just got home from a morning at the Farmer's Market and getting lunch downtown. I consider RVA the best of both worlds -- we can take advantage of the good schools and lower taxes in the county while still enjoying the offerings of the city.

Back to schools -- I would check the high schools out carefully -- I don't know that I'd ever buy in the Henrico HS area, for example, but also keep in mind that the school districts here all have the center system in place at the high school level, so there's a lot of choice and mobility. That gives you a little more freedom in looking at neighborhoods. Good luck!

Old 07-13-2014, 09:46 AM

5,033 posts, read 6,307,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Give it a few days and you will probably have responses from posters who will dispute the above statement....
'Godwin is best!'
'No, Freeman!'
'It's Deep Run, you fools!'

Arguments about which of the high-end western Henrico public schools are superior are a little like arguing whether Norway, Sweden, or Finland are the better place to live. It's pointless. They're all quality.

In reality, any one of the usual suspects-at any level-are all pretty solid. We got redistricted from what is considered the 'top' elementary school-into one of the top 3-4. I just can't get overexcited about that.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:47 PM

19,004 posts, read 16,817,402 times
I'm very happy with the education my kids received, they were definitely ready for college and beyond.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
View detailed profiles of: