Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 02:16 PM

83 posts, read 147,280 times

Advertisements

Thanks everybody. We got down there a second time. First off, Richmond is a really cool city. I like VA in general, but Richmond itself is better than I expected from a small city. We only had time to visit a few things (Belle Island, Maymont, the VA War Memorial, and a few parks), but I was impressed. Lots of trees, and peace and quiet, and space.

What's with all the nickel and dime on tolls though? It seems like every time we hit a main road with a ramp, we had to come up with another 50 or 75 cents.

Anyway, I didn't see much of Midlothian but liked some parts of Chesterfield a lot. As far as I am concerned, it's either the Richmond area or SC burbs of Charlotte for us. I haven't been down there yet, but that's the next trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 02:49 PM

2 posts, read 3,294 times
Check out mls 1421169. Cute cape cod in Enon area of Chester under 150k

Old 08-02-2014, 05:16 PM

That is nice. Needs a few things, but it's in good condition and almost 1/2 acre.

Edit: What site did you use to find it? I always use Realtor dotcom, but some houses don't show up there sometimes.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:09 PM

689 posts, read 1,610,672 times
The tolls annoy Richmonders, too. If you do live on southside, you bear more of the toll burden than West Enders, they only have to pay the downtown expressway toll. We have to pay to take the Powhite, if we choose to commute that way. We don't mind b/c it's so much less than we paid in northern VA, but it is annoying. Glad you enjoyed your visit. It's a lot hotter in SC!

Old 08-03-2014, 08:39 PM

1,513 posts, read 2,764,435 times
I don't mind tolls with ez pass actually - you are paying directly for what you use, seems fair. It's the lines that bugged me...

Old 08-03-2014, 09:32 PM

689 posts, read 1,610,672 times
That's true, charlesaf3. It's a use tax. And we are using the roads.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:12 PM

552 posts, read 611,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novanwbie View Post
The tolls annoy Richmonders, too. If you do live on southside, you bear more of the toll burden than West Enders, they only have to pay the downtown expressway toll. We have to pay to take the Powhite, if we choose to commute that way. We don't mind b/c it's so much less than we paid in northern VA, but it is annoying. Glad you enjoyed your visit. It's a lot hotter in SC!

In areas like Midlothian or Bon Air, yes, but if you live south or east of Pocahontas State Park, you're likely to go to I-95 (from one or more of Routes 10, 150, and 288), which will get you downtown for a toll of no more than 35 cents (and possibly zero, if you're taking the Broad Street exit (74C) off of I-95).

Old 08-04-2014, 10:59 AM

2 posts, read 2,107 times
I registered to jump in on this discussion. So, have mercy on me, this is my first reply ...

I have been mulling over considering moving to Richmond. I must be honest, I hear a lot of negatives. But, at the same time, I also hear some positives. Can someone help me out? What is the real deal with regards to crime? How different is West Henrico to this threads discussion on Chesterfield. I live near Arlington, VA and just curious ...

Old 08-04-2014, 11:49 AM

@atvt2004

No offense, but instead of hijacking the thread, just read up all the other threads and post a new one if they don't answer the questions.

@Charlesaf3

I get that it's a tax, but tolls aren't the only things that pay for roads. We don't have them in PA (except for the turnpike and northeast extension) but the roads are still maintained. It's not a big gripe or anything, but I do think it's something people get used to slowly over time, like being taxed annually on a car you already own (in many states), even though they don't like it.

I didn't get to see Midlothian, but Chesterfield looks nice, the the location is good for me (near fishing, state park, and some shopping, while being more spread out). SC is definitely hotter, but it's has a lot of the same appeal, at a slightly lower price and with slightly larger properties, generally.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:37 PM

2 posts, read 2,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amerikrainian View Post
@atvt2004

No offense, but instead of hijacking the thread, just read up all the other threads and post a new one if they don't answer the questions.

@Charlesaf3

I get that it's a tax, but tolls aren't the only things that pay for roads. We don't have them in PA (except for the turnpike and northeast extension) but the roads are still maintained. It's not a big gripe or anything, but I do think it's something people get used to slowly over time, like being taxed annually on a car you already own (in many states), even though they don't like it.

I didn't get to see Midlothian, but Chesterfield looks nice, the the location is good for me (near fishing, state park, and some shopping, while being more spread out). SC is definitely hotter, but it's has a lot of the same appeal, at a slightly lower price and with slightly larger properties, generally.
I think your language seems a bit unnecessarily rude. If you preferred not to answer, then perhaps you shouldn't have. Particularly, since I think people have been quite kind to you on this thread. And, like you, I stumbled upon this thread doing research for the exact same purpose and I find your response quite unusual for someone who is in the same shoes.

Frankly, I sincerely hope I do not come across any rude persons in Richmond like you. My wife, two children, and myself are visiting next week to check the area out also. This is not a good start to that search.

Such a sad affair to come across people like you, who ask for others to be kind to them but seemingly fail to do the same ...

God help you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond