Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 09:39 AM

130 posts, read 296,334 times

Advertisements

Where in Richmond city proper or close to it (via public transportation) can I find an apartment that is move-in ready, and not too expensive for a single, retired female who is modern in thinking and philosophy, creative, liberal-minded and able to volunteer for community projects? I want to spend the rest of my life just creating art and objects, and being in a neighborhood that appreciates or encourages it. If I can keep my rent and utilities up to or below $1200, I'd be able to afford this lifestyle without having to work. Needless to say, I don't want to be mugged en route home, so safety is a concern. Of course, I'm not a naive city dweller -- I've lived long-term in New York City, Washington DC, Fresno and Pasadena, Va Beach and the Va Eastern Shore and have traveled to many foreign cities, so I know what to watch out for and what to avoid. I lock my doors and don't wander into dark alleys.

After considering various "top ten" places to live for retirement, I've narrowed it down to Richmond because it is midway to all the places where I have relatives or friends and it sounds urban enough for me. Good public transport is a priority as I don't envision driving or owning a car well into my old age. I've visited Richmond in 2010, but wasn't sure it was for me -- mainly because of the lack of good rentals then. Now, I see listings for many more neighborhoods that I've never visited during that look-see trip in 2010.

What do you think of the Manchester Warehouse district? It sounded appealing on paper. I don't care to be near the water (I've been there, done that and I still have access to that on the Eastern Shore even when I move), but I do care about green surroundings or at least a short walk to it. I want to be reasonably near shopping and entertainment areas via public transportation or taxi, if not on foot. I need help deciding where to focus my apartment-hunting efforts. I'm planning a one week visit to Richmond in late October to look around. I would appreciate suggestions Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 10:09 PM

1,513 posts, read 2,759,302 times
What you're looking for is doable, but I think Manchester might not be a good fit. Try fan or museum or Byrd park. The first 2 are becoming popular with retired people, the last is more young couples with kids

Old 09-10-2014, 11:06 PM

830 posts, read 1,005,361 times
You said you care about easy access to greenspace and reasonable walkability to shopping/dining. For this reason I actually think you should check out the Byrd Park area of Richmond. It's a nice area that abuts expansive Maymont Park, is within walking distance to Carytown and has reasonably priced homes and condos on the market for sale and rent. While you aren't downtown, I think it's a fantastic, safe neighborhood for value with good amenities nearby. For the same reason I really don't recommend Manchester, for right now. While it's a great up and coming area, it has a lot of developing to do in terms of shopping and dining options on foot. For now, you would be mostly limited to walking or driving across the bridges into downtown or elsewhere to get substantive groceries or enjoy nicer dining, for example. And while there might be easy access to the river and the Floodwall, I hesitate to call it green space in the same sense as Maymont and you've already said you're not too crazy about water. I think in several more years, Manchester is going to be fantastic though. If you want to be downtown, Shockoe Bottom isn't bad and Shockoe Slip has some nice new developments coming on line.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:35 PM

Default Flood prone areas of Richmond?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
You said you care about easy access to greenspace and reasonable walkability to shopping/dining. For this reason I actually think you should check out the Byrd Park area of Richmond. It's a nice area that abuts expansive Maymont Park, is within walking distance to Carytown and has reasonably priced homes and condos on the market for sale and rent. While you aren't downtown, I think it's a fantastic, safe neighborhood for value with good amenities nearby. For the same reason I really don't recommend Manchester, for right now. While it's a great up and coming area, it has a lot of developing to do in terms of shopping and dining options on foot. For now, you would be mostly limited to walking or driving across the bridges into downtown or elsewhere to get substantive groceries or enjoy nicer dining, for example. And while there might be easy access to the river and the Floodwall, I hesitate to call it green space in the same sense as Maymont and you've already said you're not too crazy about water. I think in several more years, Manchester is going to be fantastic though. If you want to be downtown, Shockoe Bottom isn't bad and Shockoe Slip has some nice new developments coming on line.
Thank you for the feedback. I do see quite a few possibilities in the Shockoe area and am just wondering why rents are so much more affordable there compared to other buildings near the James. Are there areas in Richmond that are prone to flooding problems that I should avoid? Is the new and improved floodwall adequate so far?

Although I wasn't looking to live near the water, I found some great new apartments (and some still under construction) in that area with offers of extra freebies to sign up. I am a bit leery about these "carrots" because I'm sure, to make up for the lost revenue, they'd probably jack up the rent at renewal to the point of driving me out only after the second year. I am looking for a minimum of 3 to 5 years, then we'll see what happens then, but I would rather not move if I can still afford the rent.

Does anyone know what the average annual rate is for rental increases in those buildings or similar areas? Just a ballpark figure is ok, based on your experience.

I'll check out Byrd Park -- thanks for the tip. And, also, I've pretty much discounted Manchester for now -- the area needs a lot more development. I'd be afraid to walk home at night.

What about Monroe Ward? I found this one described as "This apartment is in the Monroe Ward neighborhood in Richmond. Nearby parks include Two Hundred Block West Franklin Historic District, Jackson Ward Historic District and Commonwealth Club Historic District. Monroe Properties Apartments has a Walk Score of 97 out of 100. This location is a Walker’s Paradise so daily errands do not require a car. Nearby schools include Richmond Preparatory Christian Academy, Adult Career Dev Center (Acdc) and Richmond Hospital EP."

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:59 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,663,064 times
I live in Jackson Ward. My rent has gone up $15 to $20 a year over the last 5 years (one year there was no increase).

Monroe Ward is very walkable. I think that the entire city is but it's nothing for me to walk 3-4 miles one way to a destination (say my neighborhood to Carytown). When you start to think a 20 block walk is a quick stroll the whole city becomes much more enjoyable. I also drive but walking is just so much more interesting.

Flooding shouldn't be a problem anywhere in Richmond. The Bottom does flood but not often (every 15 years or so). Even then only the first floors of buildings will be effected. It may be inconvenient for a week but your stuff won't get ruined.

Not having met you it is hard to suggest a place. Pretty much every place is very safe during the day. It is safe after dark too but may not feel that safe (tree cover makes for dark streets at night). Monroe Ward has a lot of pedestrian traffic when VCU is in session. The streets will feel safe until 10:00 or so. The Fan would probably be the best bet but it can be expensive (realative to rent in Richmond, not DC or NY of course !).

Old 10-11-2014, 10:12 PM

689 posts, read 1,608,592 times
Since you're a retiree, I would be sure to check out the Bottom, Monroe Ward or Jackson Ward very closely before committing -- these are not areas populated by too many older people. The Wards are both going through gentrification and appeal more to younger populations, from what I've seen. I'm not sure I'd consider them as safe as many other reasonable areas of downtown. The Bottom houses many clubs and restaurants. Depending on where you live, nightlife may be a real issue. Manchester is kind of the same, really appeals to hipsters -- it's the edge of city repurposing pushing into southside (what we call anything south of the river), and it's still very iffy -- some blocks are safe, some really aren't. My husband works there, and when we go down there at night the streets are pretty empty. You would have to go on the bus to buy anything, too.

I would recommend the area from Thompson West to Libbie, roughly, and from Cary Street up to Broad. Most of that is still in the city, so you'll have access to buses, but it's also extremely safe, and very walkable. You can easily get to shopping, entertainment, medical care, the library, etc.

Another area might be Westover Hills. It's a lovely residential neighborhood, but you would have a harder time walking to all the amenities. I would also look at the Museum District and the fan. There are some nice apartments on quiet streets there, but everything is pretty convenient.

A word of caution, also, if you're used to having reliable public transportation -- in Richmond, you basically must be in the city to access the buses. There are some express routes into the counties, but they're limited. And I hear mixed reviews from regular bus riders. Some routes seem fine, some are not so great.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:26 PM

Thank you all for your input. Now, here's another question. Why are there no supermarkets in downtown Richmond? There's a poorly rated FarmFresh on Main Street, but others that show up in Walkscore.com only show small grocery stores that have limited offerings. It seems the good ones are located in the suburbs, like Short Pump. Even if I like walking and riding buses, I wouldn't want to ride all the way there to shop, pushing my shopping cart to the bus stop. I really don't understand why there aren't more supermarkets downtown. Gourmet cooking shouldn't require shopping in a Wholepaycheck store.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:31 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,668,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazfora View Post
Thank you all for your input. Now, here's another question. Why are there no supermarkets in downtown Richmond? There's a poorly rated FarmFresh on Main Street, but others that show up in Walkscore.com only show small grocery stores that have limited offerings. It seems the good ones are located in the suburbs, like Short Pump. Even if I like walking and riding buses, I wouldn't want to ride all the way there to shop, pushing my shopping cart to the bus stop. I really don't understand why there aren't more supermarkets downtown. Gourmet cooking shouldn't require shopping in a Wholepaycheck store.
I'm not sure why there are food deserts in the city.

My sister can walk to Farm Fresh. She uses it for emergencies. She generally shops at Kroger in the Far West End on her way home from work.

There's a big Kroger by VCU that's okay and a Kroger and a Martin's (I think) in Carytown.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:05 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,294,660 times
Walking distance to Carytown should be your target. There are 4 grocery stores: Martin's, Kroger, Fresh Market (upscale), and Elwood Thompson (local organic market). Walkable, vibrant area close to green space and public transit.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:57 PM

1,513 posts, read 2,759,302 times
All of the above, and whole foods is coming to broad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond