U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2014, 07:59 AM

1 posts, read 1,043 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to the Wyndham area in Glen Allen and would be so grateful for any thoughts or advice. We are moving from Fairfax County because we're hoping to get more house for our money, less traffic, great schools, nice friendly neighborhood, etc. I feel like the Midlothian and Chesterfield areas are really more our speed in terms of the bigger lots and older homes that we tend to prefer, but I like the idea of being on the north side of Richmond because I imagine we'll be making the drive back to NOVA quite a bit with our families still up there. And the schools in the Wyndham area look really good. I'm trying to get a sense of the general vibe of the Wyndham area - we're looking for something more laid back than NOVA - a place where people relax more and enjoy life and don't worry so much about what to wear or drive or how to jockey their kids around into all the right clubs and lessons, etc.

Also, I would really love any advice about preschools around Wyndham. We would move in the middle of this school year and I'm wondering if it's the kind of area where all the preschools would be full or would there be some spaces open at a fun school? One of my kids is in a preschool that she loves here so I hate to move now but we found a great house. Thanks so much for your help!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 03:27 PM

689 posts, read 1,184,577 times
The Wyndham/Short Pump area reminds me a lot of Ashburn and the parts of Fairfax County along 7. The schools in Short Pump are very good, and are probably also the closest to "high pressure" if you experienced that in Fairfax. I know a few people will probably pipe up and disagree, but Short Pump is probably the trendiest family area in the greater Richmond MSA. If that's not your thing, you may want to live elsewhere, or you may choose to live up there and ignore that aspect. I would consider all of Richmond more laid back than NoVA, having lived there for 10 years, but Wyndham and that area is the closest to a NoVA environment you'll find down here. You will still get a lot more for your money, great schools, and traffic that is minimal compared to what you're used to.

We left that area this summer to move to Midlothian and are thrilled with the choice. Our son is in a great school, he has language classes weekly in his elementary school, which was important to us, and he is being challenged and engaged. It's his third school in as many years, and we couldn't have dreamed of a better transition for him. Keep in mind upper Midlothian is only 10 minutes from Wyndham on 288, so if that's more your style, you'd be looking at 20-25 minutes more per trip to NoVA. It might be worth it.

Since you've found a house, most of that is probably for naught. But having lived both areas, I do prefer Midlothian. It is more relaxed and easygoing, in my experience. I certainly wouldn't suffer moving back to the West End, though.

Daycares: We liked Bright Horizons, but it was the most expensive in the area. Our son was a CDC of Wyndham briefly, and we liked it a lot. It's small and locally owned, but has amazing offerings. We have friends who are very happy with Primrose in Twin Hickory and with the Goddard School. The franchise operations tend to cost more, and I would encourage you to look at the state Website that shows inspection data for all child care centers in VA. A site that seems great might have major violations with which you'll take issue. I do not want to send my son to a place that doesn't complete the required background checks, for example. Google social services Virginia Child Care Centers and it should come up. We don't tend to have the lengthy waiting lists like NoVA unless you're placing an infant. Good luck!

Old 10-02-2014, 07:00 PM

2,697 posts, read 7,120,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novanwbie View Post
The Wyndham/Short Pump area reminds me a lot of Ashburn and the parts of Fairfax County along 7. The schools in Short Pump are very good, and are probably also the closest to "high pressure" if you experienced that in Fairfax. I know a few people will probably pipe up and disagree, but Short Pump is probably the trendiest family area in the greater Richmond MSA. If that's not your thing, you may want to live elsewhere, or you may choose to live up there and ignore that aspect. I would consider all of Richmond more laid back than NoVA, having lived there for 10 years, but Wyndham and that area is the closest to a NoVA environment you'll find down here. You will still get a lot more for your money, great schools, and traffic that is minimal compared to what you're used to.

We left that area this summer to move to Midlothian and are thrilled with the choice. Our son is in a great school, he has language classes weekly in his elementary school, which was important to us, and he is being challenged and engaged. It's his third school in as many years, and we couldn't have dreamed of a better transition for him. Keep in mind upper Midlothian is only 10 minutes from Wyndham on 288, so if that's more your style, you'd be looking at 20-25 minutes more per trip to NoVA. It might be worth it.

Since you've found a house, most of that is probably for naught. But having lived both areas, I do prefer Midlothian. It is more relaxed and easygoing, in my experience. I certainly wouldn't suffer moving back to the West End, though.

Daycares: We liked Bright Horizons, but it was the most expensive in the area. Our son was a CDC of Wyndham briefly, and we liked it a lot. It's small and locally owned, but has amazing offerings. We have friends who are very happy with Primrose in Twin Hickory and with the Goddard School. The franchise operations tend to cost more, and I would encourage you to look at the state Website that shows inspection data for all child care centers in VA. A site that seems great might have major violations with which you'll take issue. I do not want to send my son to a place that doesn't complete the required background checks, for example. Google social services Virginia Child Care Centers and it should come up. We don't tend to have the lengthy waiting lists like NoVA unless you're placing an infant. Good luck!
I sent the OP a PM, but living in Wyndham (for the past six years with kids in Shady Grove) and having lived in Tysons, I completely agree with your assessment. Short Pump is Northern Virginia with less traffic and cheaper real estate. Same type of people, excellent schools, same pressure on the kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond