Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2015, 02:27 PM

1 posts, read 3,051 times

Advertisements

I am a 25 year old female that will be relocating to Richmond for work soon and I need some opinions on the 2 neighborhoods that I am looking to live at. I have visited both neighborhoods and know people who live in both as well. I love the look the look of the row houses in the Fan, but I also like the big lofts in Shockoe Bottom that have a pool, gym, etc. I've been to bars in both neighborhoods as well and like the nightlife scene at both locations.

Basically I am completely torn and would like some outside opinions that are not biased (my friends opinions are biased haha)

I think that overall I would prefer to live in a loft in the bottom, but I am a little concerned about safety? I am moving from DC so I have common urban safety sense, but I am nervous after reading some articles about shootings and such.

Help please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 04:22 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,693,412 times
My sister lives in one of the river lofts (Lucky Strike) and has for three years. She's been very happy there and moved from CT and has doesn't feel unsafe (I do when I'm in Shockoe Bottom, but I'm a suburbanite).

I think the Fan is more convenient for going out.

Old 02-15-2015, 05:04 PM

18 posts, read 36,037 times
I'm going through the same choice right now.

I think a lot of it depends on if you are a homebody or an out-n-about kind of person. The fan definitely has better social options - bars, restaurants, shops, etc. (most areas of the fan at least). But apartments in the fan are old and rundown. You sacrifice things like a dishwasher, washer/dryer, central air, closet space, etc. Parking can be a problem as well. The renovated lofts in Shockoe are bigger, nicer, modern, etc. You still get some decent night life and good people, but not as plentiful or as nice as in the fan.

Keep in mind that people tend to overestimate how much they will take advantage of the local offerings. Most people drive home from work, cook dinner, do a load of laundry and plop down on the couch. Of course you know your lifestyle best.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:29 PM

16 posts, read 26,083 times
I lived in both areas when I was in my 20's and single ( I am 33 now, married, with a baby). I would absolutely encourage you to move to the Fan. I biked EVERYWHERE and I miss that terribly now that we are in the West End. For me, the Fan had a more laid back feel to it but I always felt that the Fan was more of a cultural hub and although I loved Shockoe, it was more of a club scene.
I lived in three areas of the Fan and one in Shockoe so if you have any more questions, I am happy to help! I know it's a tough call but I very much miss Fan living, nothing beats it!

Old 02-18-2015, 01:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,884 times
As more people move into this area, nightclubs are becoming obsolete in Shockoe. It seems that slowly but surely retail and restaurants are making a name for themselves in our 'hood.

I'd recommend it!

Old 02-19-2015, 09:31 AM

97 posts, read 188,803 times
I agree with sebright33, Shockhoe is definitely changing. In the past few month's Tiki Bob's announced it's closing and Julep's is moving to Grace Street....I'm interested to see what happens to Julep's building. There's also been an enormous amount of new residential development in the area.

As to safety, I've never felt unsafe down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond