Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2008, 09:34 AM

37 posts, read 170,696 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering a move to Hanover County from the west coast. We are looking to buy a home in the range of 150-200k. I would appreciate any info or feedback on these questions:

1. any unsafe areas to be aware of?
2. good schools?
3. how is the commute to VCU and are there tolls?
4. how are the property taxes?
5. any other info worth mentioning?

We will be visiting in 2 weeks and I wanted to make the most of our time there. Thanks in advance for any replies to this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 12:04 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,315,194 times
You should easily be able to get to VCU without crossing paths with any tolls.

The real estate tax rate in Hanover is $0.81 per $100 dollars assessed.
Here's a good link related to taxes for Hanover: Commissioner of Revenue's Office

Old 01-13-2008, 02:40 PM

22 posts, read 98,372 times
You will have difficulty getting into a home for that price range - depending on the size house you want, etc. We moved from the west also, and went by real estate ads and other information thinking we could get into a home for a reasonable price. You may have more success now, if people are really wanting to sell. Mechanicsville is one area of the Greater Richmond area that people want to live in for many reasons, you pay for that. Hanover is safer than Chesterfield by a long shot, even though Chesterfield is cheaper.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:06 PM

37 posts, read 170,696 times
Thanks for the info. I will keep researching and look forward to other posts here.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:32 PM

3 posts, read 9,253 times
Hello and good luck on your move.

We live in Hanover County and love it...here are some things to consider:

- Housing between 150-200 will be difficult to find, but they do come available every once in a while - in the 200-250 range, there are many options

- Taxes are much lower than other counties

- No tolls between Hanover and VCU - so no worries there...

- Hanover is mostly very rural, unless you live in the city of Ashland. Therefore, many of the conveniences like fast food, gas stations, groceries, etc are a good 10-15 minute drive. However, we like it that we are only 15 minutes from the west end of Richmond (in the Short Pump area) where we can get anything and everything we need - a huge mall, tons of restaurants, lots of other shopping, etc.

- No areas that I can really say to stay away from in Hanover...there are many of them in the city of Richmond that I would stay away from, but for the most part, Hanover is pretty tame!

- We used to live in Short Pump, in the west end of Richmond - (very pricey, very crowded, but very convenient) - but have never regretted our move to Hanover a couple of years ago. We leave our jobs and the craziness of the city behind us and drive through gorgeous farm lands and houses to our humble little farm.

- If you're in to horses - there are TONS of horse farms in Hanover - it is horse country for sure!

Best of luck to you.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:05 PM

3 posts, read 9,096 times
Hanover county is a gem of an area. Interesting mix of people, 35 minutes or so from Richmond, great schools. Lots of new development in the works too, but with a sense of sanity.

Old 01-23-2008, 03:16 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,725,942 times
Try MaCauley Park in Aylett. Brand new single family homes in that price range. Aylett is east of Kings Dominion.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:26 PM

42 posts, read 115,605 times
Not all areas of Hanover are 35 minutes away. We live in the southeastern part of Mechanicsville and my commute to downtown is an easy 20 minutes w/ almost no traffic. Granted, I shoot through a seedy area just before hitting the downtown area so maybe going around would add 5 minutes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond