Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 12:45 AM

9,678 posts, read 9,373,219 times

Advertisements

Louisville, Memphis, Birmingham, New Orleans in no particular order.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 08:55 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,681,950 times
Size wise Ottawa seemed similar.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:08 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amg09 View Post
Actually Richmond isn't a small city. Richmond is characterized as a large sized city by the US Census Bureau in terms of jobs and population. As of 2013, it's population was over 214,000 and rapidly growing. The Richmond MSA has approximately 1.3 million people. Charleston, SC is much smaller than Richmond, with a population of around 128,000. Charleston's MSA has a population of about 664,000.
That's an outdated statistic for Charleston; its MSA is 728K and has grown by 9.5% since 2010 according to the latest estimates. That said, Charleston is noticeably smaller but the two cities feel similarly dense and extensive within their cores, although Richmond has more of a traditional skyline which is certainly a difference.

To me, Richmond gives off similar vibes as other historic Southern cities around its size, like Louisville and NOLA (which were mentioned).

Old 06-24-2015, 01:20 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Some interesting descriptions of Richmond on here.

Granted, I mostly went out The Fan, and that entire side of Richmond. My understanding of Richmond is that much of the city, most people don't go to much, unless they live there. I'm thinking of pretty much every side that isn't downtown, and that sliver westward from downtown, which includes The Fan and all of those other great neighborhoods.

When I was The Fan and those neighborhoods, I loved Richmond. It just seems very healthy, lots of active businesses, lots of people walking around. I mostly liked it because it has a....ahmm...like a really CLEAN HEALTHY version of Baltimore/Philadelphia for just 'regular people', if that makes sense. What I mean by that, is, if you go to somewhere like Baltimore's Hampden, sure its hip and cool; but it is also feels like you have a lot of street uchins about with some drugs on them or in them. Richmond has the urban feel, without the urban ills attached to it.

That being said, I didn't view the other sides of the cities. I have no idea what those are like, but people seem to describe them in the way that they describe all the other big cities with high murder rates in certain neighborhoods. I didn't see them, so no idea what they'd look like.

That being said, seeing that sliver of neighborhoods westward, and including downtown Richmond itself, I really liked the feel of the city quite a bit. I also liked the kinds of people I saw out and about. It is a hard city to describe, but that is basically my impressions from a SHORT VISIT.

Old 06-27-2015, 05:38 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,027,676 times
In terms of industry and city-only population: Winston-Salem
In terms of population of city and MSA: Birmingham
In terms of MSA population only: Louisville
In terms of importance as a state capital: Raleigh or Columbia
In terms of history: Charleston

Richmond (like most other cities) has a vibe all it's own and is hard to pin down because it's like another city in one way but completely different in another

Old 06-28-2015, 11:52 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,910,559 times
How comparable is the nightlife, energy level, and street level activity to Charleston, SC, Providence, and Tacoma?

Old 06-29-2015, 01:00 AM

998 posts, read 1,248,218 times
Richmond is Richmond and unique in it's own right, doesn't need or have a "peer" city.

Old 06-29-2015, 01:42 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,027,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poquoson7 View Post
Richmond is Richmond and unique in it's own right, doesn't need or have a "peer" city.
Peer city can mean anything...a city of similar size, a city with a similar economy, or a long list of other comparisons. It doesn't have to be a city that is exactly like Richmond, so it very much does have peer cities.

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 06-29-2015 at 02:03 AM..

Old 06-29-2015, 05:54 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
How comparable is the nightlife, energy level, and street level activity to Charleston, SC, Providence, and Tacoma?
You might try asking this in the City-Versus-City forum. Most of the local responders would not have lived in any of the three.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:06 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,910,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
You might try asking this in the City-Versus-City forum. Most of the local responders would not have lived in any of the three.
You speak for most locals? Isn't this a travel and city forum? I'd be inclined to believe people here have traveled to other places and/or are interested in moving to other places. Otherwise what's the point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond