U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 09:16 AM

13 posts, read 58,643 times

Advertisements

What Rusting said. I'd be really interested in your findings after your trip. We're relocating from NOVA and I fell in love with Twin Hickory on our visit (it seemed that you didn't have to get into the fray of traffic etc. if you really don't want to), but my husband isn't sold - he's more interested in Midlo for the newer and/or bigger housing. I love the idea of being able to walk my son to school/library and hope to find the best of both worlds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 01:17 PM

44 posts, read 77,336 times
Welcome to Richmond! I have family in Richmond and I know a lot about the area so I'll try my best to help out. First off, I direct you to the west side. The western end is a sprawling area and I think you'll find your best options there. The schools are strong, a lot of different shopping centers, family friendly, etc.. I think you should check out Bellevue, which is near Lakeside. It's convenient, plus there are a few good restaurant options and you can walk to the local cafe. I would also consider Glen Allen, Short Pump, and Henrico. These are going to be your middle and higher class neighborhoods and for your kids, I would recommend these areas as well. There are great schools and overall nice places to raise a family. I know Short Pump has a local pool, grocery stores, and of course the shopping centers. If you prefer to live in the city center, there are family friendly and walkable neighborhoods in The Fan district and Carytown. Here you'll find row houses and Victorian style town homes. The Fan has community run shops, nice parks, electric shops, restaurants, museums, etc.. and beautiful streets like Monument Avenue with all of the unique architecture.

Richmond is a beautiful city and I hope you enjoy it! There is so much to do and everyone says Richmond is an outdoors lovers paradise.

Old 05-11-2015, 03:58 PM

2,697 posts, read 7,120,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew06 View Post
What Rusting said. I'd be really interested in your findings after your trip. We're relocating from NOVA and I fell in love with Twin Hickory on our visit (it seemed that you didn't have to get into the fray of traffic etc. if you really don't want to), but my husband isn't sold - he's more interested in Midlo for the newer and/or bigger housing. I love the idea of being able to walk my son to school/library and hope to find the best of both worlds.
If I had it to do over again, I'd probably pick Twin Hickory. We're in Wyndham and it would just be more convenient when my kids are older. I love that Wyndham is tucked away in the corner of the county, but being able to walk to the library (which is fantastic) or middle and high school would be great (we are walkable to elementary). And yes, the locals know how to avoid Broad Street when it's busy. The drawbacks IMO are that it's a drive through neighborhood (meaning it's split by a four lane road with a lot of people cutting through) and it's split between two elementary schools.

You do get more bang for in Midlothian. I'm not entirely sure why as the schools are interchangeable IMO.

You really can't go wrong.

Old 05-11-2015, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amg09 View Post
Welcome to Richmond! I have family in Richmond and I know a lot about the area so I'll try my best to help out. First off, I direct you to the west side. The western end is a sprawling area and I think you'll find your best options there. The schools are strong, a lot of different shopping centers, family friendly, etc.. I think you should check out Bellevue, which is near Lakeside. It's convenient, plus there are a few good restaurant options and you can walk to the local cafe. I would also consider Glen Allen, Short Pump, and Henrico. These are going to be your middle and higher class neighborhoods and for your kids, I would recommend these areas as well. There are great schools and overall nice places to raise a family. I know Short Pump has a local pool, grocery stores, and of course the shopping centers. If you prefer to live in the city center, there are family friendly and walkable neighborhoods in The Fan district and Carytown. Here you'll find row houses and Victorian style town homes. The Fan has community run shops, nice parks, electric shops, restaurants, museums, etc.. and beautiful streets like Monument Avenue with all of the unique architecture.

Richmond is a beautiful city and I hope you enjoy it! There is so much to do and everyone says Richmond is an outdoors lovers paradise.
Where is there a local pool in Short Pump? There used to be one (off Pouncey Tract???) but that closed several years ago.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:15 PM

11 posts, read 16,143 times
I'm so glad more people posted!

We loved twin hickory! Everything I am looking for. I don't think I ever found the right area of midlothian. We even went up towards robius rd because that's where we heard best schools were. Saw some nice homes, but on a main road. No sidewalks. Any neighborhoods in that area similar to twin hickory? I would also love a new home that's not totally overpriced. It's hard coming from a new home with lots of yard to older and smaller. But being able to walk so many places is key for me. Friendly neighbors would seal the deal.

Are there any other neighborhoods similar to twin hickory at all in any of those areas. You can't beat the convenience. This is so hard when doing with kids! You don't want to be stuck somewhere or have to move again if you chose wrong. It's aready going to be stressful enough for all.

I just hope everyone is welcoming. My kids are so happy and outgoing. It's so scary when you read things about neighbors or schools being "snobby" to newcomers. Don't we all just want the same things basically? Safety, good education, kind neighbors and friends and fun things to do

Old 05-16-2015, 07:45 AM

Glad you liked Twin Hickory. As far as meeting people, you should be fine. I don't find Richmond to be transient, but enough people move in and out that it's still easy to get established. Pool neighborhoods make it even easier to get acclimated. Neighborhood schools and sidewalks also facilitate a sense of community. Between school and activities, you are your children should find friends quickly.

Old 05-16-2015, 10:29 AM

77 posts, read 85,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdjcmalibu View Post
I'm so glad more people posted!

We loved twin hickory! Everything I am looking for. I don't think I ever found the right area of midlothian. We even went up towards robius rd because that's where we heard best schools were. Saw some nice homes, but on a main road. No sidewalks. Any neighborhoods in that area similar to twin hickory? I would also love a new home that's not totally overpriced. It's hard coming from a new home with lots of yard to older and smaller. But being able to walk so many places is key for me. Friendly neighbors would seal the deal.

Are there any other neighborhoods similar to twin hickory at all in any of those areas. You can't beat the convenience. This is so hard when doing with kids! You don't want to be stuck somewhere or have to move again if you chose wrong. It's aready going to be stressful enough for all.

I just hope everyone is welcoming. My kids are so happy and outgoing. It's so scary when you read things about neighbors or schools being "snobby" to newcomers. Don't we all just want the same things basically? Safety, good education, kind neighbors and friends and fun things to do

Take a drive out to the Hull Street area. Foxfire is nice, with sidewalks and a pool. Fox Creek is a new subdivision that is also very nice. These neighborhoods feed into the Woolridge ES, Tomahawk Creek, Cosby HS schools, which is great. Hallsley is also very nice new subdivisions, but it feeds into Watkins ES, which is insanely overcrowded. You will get more for your money out that way.

Zip Code is 23120, houses are selling very fast though.

Old 05-16-2015, 12:43 PM

Thanks for the 23120 tip. I'm seeing lots of nice houses. Can you walk to the schools? Or anything else besides the pool? Are you still close to shopping, libraries, and parks? Thanks

Old 05-16-2015, 03:54 PM

77 posts, read 85,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdjcmalibu View Post
Thanks for the 23120 tip. I'm seeing lots of nice houses. Can you walk to the schools? Or anything else besides the pool? Are you still close to shopping, libraries, and parks? Thanks

It depends, there are some houses in Woodlake that allow you to walk to the ES, but they are older, late 1980's to 90's. They have some beautiful houses on the reservoir, they just need to be updated. It is pretty car dependent out here for schools and library, etc. However, everything is really close by and the traffic is not as bad as the West End.

If you are looking a Twin Hickory, you would probably like Foxfire or Foxcreek, also Magnolia Green is a new subdivision. Hallsey is REALLY nice, gorgeous houses, but is a drive to shopping and the Watkins ES is at 145% capacity.

The downside to Hull Street is the shopping, if you need to be near Nordstroms, Whole Foods, high end shopping, etc, then the west end is the place, Midolthian does not have high end shopping, we have everything else, great mall, Kroger, Target, Old Navy, etc, just not the ultra high end. I drive to Short Pump maybe once a month and it is a 20 min drive on 288. However, the houses in Midlo/Hull Street cost 100K less then Twin Hickory and are every bit as nice and most are brand new.

It also depends on were you and your husband work, driving downtown is about 30 mins and lots of tolls, which you avoid living in the west end.

Lots people that live Hull Street work for Capital One, CarMax, etc. right off 288.

Also, if you like water sports, fishing, kayaking, sailing, Hull Street has right on a big reservoir, which is beautiful and very popular.

Woodlake is the 23112 zip.

Old 05-16-2015, 04:13 PM

Thank you so much for taking the time to give me so much information. I really like the houses in the first zip code you gave me...and the prices. The problem is we are in a pretty rural area now and I am soooooooo sick of driving. While the kids are little I want to be close to everything. It's exhausting now. So many wonderful things to do in our surrounding area, just not in our immediate location. That's why I loved the idea of twin hickory. So many decisions...and yes, my kids LOVE water sports. In fact we would love to get an inground pool wherever we end up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond