Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 01:15 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,487,641 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm currently considering a move to VA. I've lived in SF and the 'burbs of LA (current), Boston, and NYC. I really see myself settling down on the East Coast and thought Richmond seemed like a great alternative to the expensive, rat race-y (though admittedly lovely in every other way) cities I love in the Northeast. I'd love some advice on Chesterfield vs. Henrico generally but to keep this focused - and positive - let's just talk about Chesterfield.

I'd be moving with my boyfriend and we both work remotely so are not limited by location. We love older, established neighborhoods but also value updated features in a home and accessibility to shopping, dining, etc. We're in our late 20s-early 30s with no kids so it'd be great to be in a neighborhood that's somewhat diverse in ages... I don't want to be the only one in the entire subdivision under retirement age with no kids! Salisbury immediately attracted me on a reputation basis, though I didn't get a chance to visit. When I went, we focused on the Short Pump area because it seemed like the place to be (according to our West End-based realtor) but the only subdivision we visited that we liked was Pine Run. Everything else we saw, which was not exhaustive, was very tract-y and Stepford-like, which is really not what I want. We can afford up to 550k but, for 2 people without kids, it seems like our needs can be met with a house in the 350-400k range so I look there. I had some questions about Chesterfield overall:

1. Do property values hold well over time? It seems like people are flocking to the Short Pump area so do you see the forecast being just as bright for areas like Salisbury? Eg more development of desirable retail, where schools are heading performance-wise, more companies interested in coming, etc.

2. Many houses seem to need renovations on kitchens and bathrooms. Generally, how much would it cost to put in nice granite countertops and replace cabinetry in a kitchen? Let's say a nice looking laminate and simple wood cabinets.. nothing fancy. Are there any common issues found in Chesterfield homes?

3. How much is membership to Salisbury country club or get lake access? That's in addition to the $100/yr association fee you pay to live there, right?

4. Is there a significant difference in taxes between Henrico and Chesterfield?

5. If you live there now - do you have any gripes about Salisbury or Chesterfield in general (heck, or Richmond)?

6. Do you suggest any other areas in Chesterfield that might meet our preferences for established neighborhood, age diversity, and heck even walkability? Or areas in Henrico that meet the same? I would LOVE to be along River Road but that's not going to happen unless I get a huge raise.

7. And lastly.... yes, what do you think about the overall Henrico vs. Chesterfield difference?!?! I've searched the forum but I'm looking for your personal, unique perspective.

Thanks so much! Any info helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 06:52 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,011,367 times
Hi - Let me give you the short version, as I can't answer all your questions. If you did not like the tract-y and Stepford-like homes in Short Pump, I doubt that you find much different in Midlothian near the Salisbury Country Club. Frankly, I am puzzled why a young couple without kids would want to live in Midlothian. It seems like another typical suburb to me.

BTW, there is a Facebook page for the Salisbury Country Club, and it shows a lot of older men and a few families with kids-- check it to see the flavor of the club.
Country clubs do not generally publish their membership rates online. You have to contact them in person. (My opinion is that you can probably afford it, if you can pay $550K for a house. Just spend a lot less on the house and spend the money on the country club if you want it.)

We used to live in Chesterfield, and my main gripe about the whole Richmond area is that there is so much worshiping of the past. Most of the homes look like they belong in Colonial Williamsburg. It is hard to find good contemporary architecture, and it doesn't sell well. Another gripe is that it is hard to find a place to swim. So, I suggest joining a swim club if you want it.

I'd expect to spend at least $10K to upgrade an old kitchen to have granite and new cabinets. I haven't been in Chesterfield County in many years, but I am not sure the upgrades are worthwhile there. I believe that Henrico County is more the "place to be" for the young and affluent. I just don't see a large amount of business or housing growth happening in Chesterfield County. A large part of the problem is transportation into Richmond, and I believe the toll roads are a big negative factor.

Re: an established neighborhood in Chesterfield County. I like Bon Air and the Huguenot Road area, but it is not walkable. If you want more walkable, then look at the city neighborhoods like Forest Hills.

Last edited by goldenage1; 06-06-2015 at 07:31 AM..

Old 06-06-2015, 11:25 AM

Hey, thanks so much for the response. In terms of why we would want to be in Midlothian... our friends ask us things like that all the time haha. A place like the Museum district or the Fan would be ideal for me admittedly but we're looking to save money by coming to Richmond so I don't think we could justify paying the premium for those communities. Keep in mind, where we are in LA, even $600k would hardly get you a 1400 sq ft shack in a safe neighborhood with excellent schools. I've lived in the heart of SF, worked in the heart of NYC, and now deal with the craziness of sprawl in LA so the idea of a sleepy suburb sounds rather wonderful. Plus, having moved around so much we'd like to buy a house we can stay in for at least 5-10 years.

I'm surprised you mention that area may not have much different housing stock than in the Short Pump area... it looks much older and more "charactered" to me online, but of course you can only tell so much from photos. I don't need to be in a "place to be" necessarily but increasing housing value is important so I'll think seriously about your impression of the growth in Chesterfield. Again thank you!!

Old 06-06-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
the idea of a sleepy suburb sounds rather wonderful. Plus, having moved around so much we'd like to buy a house we can stay in for at least 5-10 years.
OK, whatever. I agree the colonials in Salisbury have a little more character than ones built yesterday, and the wooded yards are nice. You are correct that it costs extra to join the Lake Salisbury association but it is $200/year. Being able to swim in the lake appeals to me. The web site is here: Salisbury Homeowners Association (SHOA) - Lake Salisbury

You also speak of saving money, and then ask about joining a Country Club. Those are typically contradictions, as country clubs typically cost in the thousands yearly, and many have minimum amounts you are supposed to spend in the facilities.

You asked about increasing housing values. I caution you not to expect much appreciation, especially when you factor in renovations for a house built in the 1960's or 70's. I think you should check some of the actual statistics. I just looked at one house one Zillow which has been on the market for a year. It was listed at $450K last year and has been dropping in price to $375K today.

BTW, the latest mil rate for Chesterfield was $1.07/hundred compared with Henrico at $.94/hundred. I say that's not much difference. Some details here: http://www.richmondhouselistings.com...-By-County.htm

At any rate, good luck with the search.

Last edited by goldenage1; 06-06-2015 at 01:00 PM..

Old 06-06-2015, 01:00 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,692,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
Hey, thanks so much for the response. In terms of why we would want to be in Midlothian... our friends ask us things like that all the time haha. A place like the Museum district or the Fan would be ideal for me admittedly but we're looking to save money by coming to Richmond so I don't think we could justify paying the premium for those communities. Keep in mind, where we are in LA, even $600k would hardly get you a 1400 sq ft shack in a safe neighborhood with excellent schools. I've lived in the heart of SF, worked in the heart of NYC, and now deal with the craziness of sprawl in LA so the idea of a sleepy suburb sounds rather wonderful. Plus, having moved around so much we'd like to buy a house we can stay in for at least 5-10 years.

I'm surprised you mention that area may not have much different housing stock than in the Short Pump area... it looks much older and more "charactered" to me online, but of course you can only tell so much from photos. I don't need to be in a "place to be" necessarily but increasing housing value is important so I'll think seriously about your impression of the growth in Chesterfield. Again thank you!!
There is some older/charactered housing in Short Pump too. You really have to visit to understand and honestly there aren't enough posters on this forum (unlike the Raleigh/Cary/CH forum, for example) to get enough feedback IMO.

As for the premium Short Pump real estate commands over Midlothian, I'm not fully sure I understand it but I love the convenience of Short Pump. Almost everything I need is within 5 miles of my house. I doubt there's a huge difference in appreciation between the two areas over the last 10-15 years. Chesterfield's property taxes are marginally higher I believe.

Old 06-06-2015, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
You also speak of saving money, and then ask about joining a Country Club. Those are typically contradictions, as country clubs typically cost in the thousands yearly, and many have minimum amounts you are supposed to spend in the facilities.
I was just curious about the country club but at the right price level I would consider paying less for a house to accommodate it.

Old 06-06-2015, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
There is some older/charactered housing in Short Pump too. You really have to visit to understand and honestly there aren't enough posters on this forum (unlike the Raleigh/Cary/CH forum, for example) to get enough feedback IMO.

As for the premium Short Pump real estate commands over Midlothian, I'm not fully sure I understand it but I love the convenience of Short Pump. Almost everything I need is within 5 miles of my house. I doubt there's a huge difference in appreciation between the two areas over the last 10-15 years. Chesterfield's property taxes are marginally higher I believe.
Thanks! If you can recommend some subdivisions in Henrico with that same older flavor then I'll focus on it on my next trip. I did like Pine Run.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:29 AM

633 posts, read 1,011,808 times
We have been living here for a few months now, we came from Metro DC Area. We are empty nesters and love Midlothian.

Our neighborhood and the surrounding ones are full of families of all ages, with and without children. We are about 20-25 min from the downtown area, 20-25 min from Short Pump. Virtually NO TRAFFIC here, compared to what we are used to and the people are very friendly and welcoming. Also there is some decent shopping here in Midlothian.

Short Pump is another version of Tysons Corner, on its way to becoming H$#% on earth. No way you could pay me to live there!

Henrico is typically more expensive than Chesterfield. There are all different types of homes available here now in Chesterfield. The one poster who talked about homes from 20 years ago.. well, that was 20 years ago. There are craftsman style homes, contemporary homes, etc., all affordable - especially if you are coming from LA. Not just colonial homes. Yuck. The areas to the west are beautiful and new subdivisons popping up with gorgeous homes. Schools are highly rates here too.

$600K would get you into Hallsley... a gorgeous neighborhood here in Chesterfield County (Midlothian). We just drove through it, beautiful homes of all different styles -not cookie cutter at all.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:19 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,692,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving4Ca View Post
We have been living here for a few months now, we came from Metro DC Area. We are empty nesters and love Midlothian.

Our neighborhood and the surrounding ones are full of families of all ages, with and without children. We are about 20-25 min from the downtown area, 20-25 min from Short Pump. Virtually NO TRAFFIC here, compared to what we are used to and the people are very friendly and welcoming. Also there is some decent shopping here in Midlothian.

Short Pump is another version of Tysons Corner, on its way to becoming H$#% on earth. No way you could pay me to live there!

Henrico is typically more expensive than Chesterfield. There are all different types of homes available here now in Chesterfield. The one poster who talked about homes from 20 years ago.. well, that was 20 years ago. There are craftsman style homes, contemporary homes, etc., all affordable - especially if you are coming from LA. Not just colonial homes. Yuck. The areas to the west are beautiful and new subdivisons popping up with gorgeous homes. Schools are highly rates here too.

$600K would get you into Hallsley... a gorgeous neighborhood here in Chesterfield County (Midlothian). We just drove through it, beautiful homes of all different styles -not cookie cutter at all.
Oh, gosh. I've lived in Tysons and Short Pump is not another version of it. The mix (commercial/residential/retail) is completely different. Also those of us who know Short Pump have lots of options to avoid traffic. I acknowledge it's not everyone's cup of tea but comparing it to Tysons is silly imo.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving4Ca View Post
Hallsley sounds like a good suggestion. Do you think Hallsley would be likely to have more young families than salibury?

I was concerned that the picture of the Salisbury Country Club showed many older men. The OP did not want to be the only 30-somethings in an older community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond