Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 08:24 AM

12 posts, read 38,215 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband and I are entertaining the idea of trying to relocate to Richmond after his deployment. We're NoVa natives and tired of the hustle and bustle up here. We currently own a $380K townhouse with a teeny yard and no privacy, so we are desperate for a change. My husband's sister and her family relocated from Alexandria down to Ashland and they love it.

We have our eyes on Midlothian. We have a two and four year. A potential move is still a ways off -- so we're just information-gathering. Can anyone recommend some neighborhoods in Midlothian that would allow us to own a half an acre of land in the low-mid $300 price range? With good schools to boot? Is that possible? If not in Midlothian, is there anywhere else you could recommend?

Also, are there local Farmer's Markets? I prefer to buy organic/local foods as much as possible.

Thanks for any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 08:40 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRB86 View Post
A potential move is still a ways off -- so we're just information-gathering. Can anyone recommend some neighborhoods in Midlothian that would allow us to own a half an acre of land in the low-mid $300 price range? With good schools to boot? Is that possible? If not in Midlothian, is there anywhere else you could recommend?

Also, are there local Farmer's Markets? I prefer to buy organic/local foods as much as possible.
Sure, the older neighborhoods have acreage. A search on Realtor turned up 56 properties priced under $340K. A couple of neighborhood names: Salisbury and Briarwood.

I'll give you a couple of MLS numbers to check out: 1518599 (a white colonial built in 84 of .89 acres) and 1520506 (a brick colonial on Salisbury Road built in 66 on .93 acres). Realtor does not pull the school ratings, but I would be confident about sending my kids to Midlothian Middle and High Schools. They are rated 9 and 8 of 10 respectively at Greatschool.com. Bettie Weaver Elementary is rated a 10 of 10.

The supermarket chains carry some organic produce and some meat. IDK about a farmer's market, but I ran across this seasonal, farm-to-table restaurant recently: http://theurbanfarmhouse.net/ There is also a grass-fed beef ranch in nearby Manakin-Sabot: http://www.brookviewfarm.com/search/label/home

Last edited by goldenage1; 07-30-2015 at 08:48 AM..

Old 07-30-2015, 08:58 AM

418 posts, read 1,048,486 times
If you keep your eye out you can find 80s era homes in the Robious Road Corridor for that price. There are a couple available now. You'd be looking at either Bettie Weaver or Robious ES, both are excellent. Salisbury and Powderham have larger lots, close to an acre.

There is a farmers market located at The Great Big Greenhouse at the intersection of Robious Rd and Huguenot on Thursdays. The big one is the one at Forest Hill Park on Saturday mornings. GrowRVA - Farmers markets in Richmond Virginia

Old 07-30-2015, 11:53 AM

12 posts, read 38,215 times
Thank you! Wow. I've been checking out some Salisbury lots. They're perfect. :-) Blows my mind that you can get so much more for the money in Midlothian compared to NoVa.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:55 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,694,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRB86 View Post
Thank you! Wow. I've been checking out some Salisbury lots. They're perfect. :-) Blows my mind that you can get so much more for the money in Midlothian compared to NoVa.
QoL is so much higher. Trade off is lower wages and much smaller, less diverse labor market.

Old 08-01-2015, 11:45 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,420,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
QoL is so much higher. Trade off is lower wages and much smaller, less diverse labor market.
The lower wages aren't really a trade off in most cases, I moved here from Boston, I make less money as far as straight #'s go, but after the COL adjustment I actually make more. Then of course their's the QoL aspect, weather and sanity.

Old 08-02-2015, 05:15 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,694,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
The lower wages aren't really a trade off in most cases, I moved here from Boston, I make less money as far as straight #'s go, but after the COL adjustment I actually make more. Then of course their's the QoL aspect, weather and sanity.
It really varies significantly and depends on occupation and industry. I work with data and on average purchasing power is higher in the DC MSA than in the Richmond MSA (meaning even after you adjust for the cost of living they make more). Of course then you throw in shorter commutes, fewer obnoxious people, etc. and we come out ahead

Old 08-02-2015, 06:18 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,988,031 times
Specific subdivisions: Riverton, River Oaks, Powderham... sometimes Salisbury...but will probably need some updating.

You could buy brandy new, but you'd have to give up lot size.

Old 08-07-2015, 12:31 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,989,910 times
Midlothian and North Chesterfield are both lovely....lots of shopping and during the week, nowhere near as much traffic as you're used to up north!

Old 11-07-2015, 10:44 AM

4 posts, read 5,753 times
I am moving to Midlothian in the next 6 months so I will let you know. My wife is all about building a custom home by John Houston. Depending on the SQ Footage they are well within that range. Coming from California I am amazed at what you get for your money. Nothing is "Builder Basic" it is all custom. I can't wait to get the heck out of California!! Although I will miss my Giants and the weather I am ready to get back to my roots..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond