Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 04:14 PM

15 posts, read 24,594 times

Advertisements

Short Pump area. You'll want schools that feed into Godwin, Deep Run or Glen Allen high schools. Trust me but look them up if you want to and you'll see that they are the best in central Virginia. Very competitive but even the lowest level learning kids get an excellent education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 12:04 PM

15 posts, read 59,441 times
Glen Allen north of Hungary Rd would fit the bill. It's a nice area, more affordable and less snobby than Short Pump, schools just as good as Short Pump's. It's closer to the city, too, so it doesn't feel as remote as Short Pump. I work near VCU and I get get to work in around 15 minutes most days.

Old 08-12-2015, 02:21 PM

633 posts, read 1,012,185 times
Default Escape the madness!

We just moved to Midlothian, VA -- and I feel exactly the same way that you do about the general population living in Northern VA. Its the bigger better faster MORE crowd.

We love it here in Midlothian... schools are great (we've been told, no school age kiddies in our home), neighbors friendly and down to earth (the absolute nicest neighbors we have EVER had) and welcoming to newcomers.

My Realtor lives in Bon Air! She loves it there too... we chose Midlothian down by Swift Creek because we built a house. However there are many many lovely and affordable homes in the Bon Air area too - at least we saw some. You can get so much more for your money here than you do in Northern VA.

No offense to anyone in Glen Allen, but you could not pay me to live in Henrico County, especially in that area - Glenn Allen/Short Pump/Innsbrook. Reminds me of a mini Tysons Corner, and it probably will be about the same as Tysons in the next 10 years. Traffic is heavier and I sense a different vibe from the people in the stores when I do go up that way to shop. And not a vibe I like...

Old 08-12-2015, 05:04 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,694,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving4Ca View Post
We just moved to Midlothian, VA -- and I feel exactly the same way that you do about the general population living in Northern VA. Its the bigger better faster MORE crowd.

We love it here in Midlothian... schools are great (we've been told, no school age kiddies in our home), neighbors friendly and down to earth (the absolute nicest neighbors we have EVER had) and welcoming to newcomers.

My Realtor lives in Bon Air! She loves it there too... we chose Midlothian down by Swift Creek because we built a house. However there are many many lovely and affordable homes in the Bon Air area too - at least we saw some. You can get so much more for your money here than you do in Northern VA.

No offense to anyone in Glen Allen, but you could not pay me to live in Henrico County, especially in that area - Glenn Allen/Short Pump/Innsbrook. Reminds me of a mini Tysons Corner, and it probably will be about the same as Tysons in the next 10 years. Traffic is heavier and I sense a different vibe from the people in the stores when I do go up that way to shop. And not a vibe I like...
Glen Allen (one "n" in Glen) doesn't really refer to much. My mailing address is Glen Allen and I live in the Short Pump area in Henrico. There is part of Glen Allen by Virginia Center Commons that is also in Henrico with much weaker school assignments. And then there is part of Glen Allen in Hanover County.

I don't get the comparison to Tysons (I've lived in both Tysons and Short Pump). The residential/commercial/retail mixes are very different. Short Pump is full of mainly upper middle class families and the schools are great with incredibly convenient shopping. As far as the vibe, remember when you are shopping at Short Pump it draws people from all over the region, including Midlothian, because it's got the only Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Nordstrom, Apple Store, etc. So the vibe you dislike may actually be coming from your neighbors

Last edited by sls76; 08-12-2015 at 05:21 PM..

Old 08-12-2015, 07:22 PM

418 posts, read 1,048,604 times
You can make the analogy - Short Pump is busier, better shopping but Midlothian has great schools, shopping, larger lots, little more chill. One isn't better than the other, just a slightly different vibe. I live in Midlothian, I love my large wooded lot, quiet neighborhood and great schools. If you are big shopper, Short Pump might appeal more. We both are getting a Wegmans in the spring .

Old 08-13-2015, 05:27 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,058,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
not half as douchey or expensive as people say it is
Just thinking that would make a GREAT t-shirt or bumper sticker!

Old 08-13-2015, 07:38 AM

470 posts, read 2,095,759 times
Thanks everyone.

I like Midlo a lot too. Just worried it's a bit too far to the south from where I'll need to go on occasion. And I'm worried it's a bit to . . . "Chesterfieldy" for my non-white New Jersey born-and-raised wife.

The last thing I want to do is trade NOVA for "NOVA-lite." However, since "NOVA-lite" doesn't cost $500,000 for a small frame house with no garage, that would take some of the sting out of living near another batch of anti-social neighbors, I supposed.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGriffith View Post
Thanks everyone.

I like Midlo a lot too. Just worried it's a bit too far to the south from where I'll need to go on occasion. And I'm worried it's a bit to . . . "Chesterfieldy" for my non-white New Jersey born-and-raised wife.

The last thing I want to do is trade NOVA for "NOVA-lite." However, since "NOVA-lite" doesn't cost $500,000 for a small frame house with no garage, that would take some of the sting out of living near another batch of anti-social neighbors, I supposed.
Well I can only speak for our neighborhood... NJ, NY and several racially diverse couples/families. Here. I know the "Chesterfield-y" area you are referring to. Further south, and a bit more country.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
Glen Allen (one "n" in Glen) doesn't really refer to much. My mailing address is Glen Allen and I live in the Short Pump area in Henrico. There is part of Glen Allen by Virginia Center Commons that is also in Henrico with much weaker school assignments. And then there is part of Glen Allen in Hanover County.

I don't get the comparison to Tysons (I've lived in both Tysons and Short Pump). The residential/commercial/retail mixes are very different. Short Pump is full of mainly upper middle class families and the schools are great with incredibly convenient shopping. As far as the vibe, remember when you are shopping at Short Pump it draws people from all over the region, including Midlothian, because it's got the only Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Nordstrom, Apple Store, etc. So the vibe you dislike may actually be coming from your neighbors
Did you ever make a typo? YEAH I know it's only one n in Allen.

Short Pump shopping area is full of the same rude ignorant people that are in Tysons corner.

I'm not going to beat around the bush, I'll just say it. Same stuck up, snobby rich folks with their Mercedes Benz and Lexus who cut you off to get to a parking space and slam into your car with their shopping cart. Great schools, huh? Nah. Not that great. I have people in my neighborhood who moved from your "mecca" of Short Pump because they felt the schools were not that great... and the kids, those who have it all tend to treat others who don't have it all (i.e., the money) like crap. The same entitled attitude I grew to loathe about Northern Va. Ugh.

Actually all of my neighbors work full time and don't have the time to go to Short Pump on a Tuesday morning... and no one in their right mind would consider going on a Saturday.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:32 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,694,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving4Ca View Post
Did you ever make a typo? YEAH I know it's only one n in Allen.

Short Pump shopping area is full of the same rude ignorant people that are in Tysons corner.

I'm not going to beat around the bush, I'll just say it. Same stuck up, snobby rich folks with their Mercedes Benz and Lexus who cut you off to get to a parking space and slam into your car with their shopping cart. Great schools, huh? Nah. Not that great. I have people in my neighborhood who moved from your "mecca" of Short Pump because they felt the schools were not that great... and the kids, those who have it all tend to treat others who don't have it all (i.e., the money) like crap. The same entitled attitude I grew to loathe about Northern Va. Ugh.

Actually all of my neighbors work full time and don't have the time to go to Short Pump on a Tuesday morning... and no one in their right mind would consider going on a Saturday.
Um, don't get so worked up when someone disagrees with you. That's what message boards are for--to hear lots of different opinions.

In ten years, I've never had anyone cut me off to get a parking space or slam their cart into my Honda.

As far as schools, I actually have children in public school and they are getting an excellent education. My neighborhood elementary is ranked #2 in the state, middle is #19, and high school is #6 according to SchoolDigger.com. DD is in the IMBYM program and is getting a great education and loves it. From what I understand the schools in Midlothian are excellent. I see them as pretty interchangeable unless there is a very specific program you are interested in.

I hit Short Pump on Saturday morning all of the time because I work full time and it really isn't that hard to get in and out if you know what you're doing. It's great to have almost everything I need within five miles of my house.

I think Midlothian and Short Pump are both great options. I also get that what appeals to me may not appeal to someone else and I'm okay with that. I just get sick of hearing about how much better/nicer/more decent/morally superior/more down-to-earth, etc. the people are in Midlothian than Short Pump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond