Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 11:18 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,695,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I usually do not shop at Aldi and Trader Joe's. I have not been to a Kroger in 12 years. Its Marketplace hypermarket stores will be exciting to visit and shop as an alternative to Walmart Supercenter stores.
They are great. Plus fuel points for gift cards are awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Florida has more households with disposable income and higher costs of living. Winn-Dixie's prices have been consistently higher than Publix.
Not my experience at all. True in Naples and West Palm Beach , perhaps but not even close to being true in Tampa and Orlando.I haven't been to Winn Dixie in a decade thankfully. Again my point is Publix is very expensive compared to what we pay in Richmond and its margins will likely be very thin here.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:33 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,239,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
They are great. Plus fuel points for gift cards are awesome.
Are they Kroger gift cards or gift cards to other businesses?

Old 02-02-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
Not my experience at all. True in Naples and West Palm Beach , perhaps but not even close to being true in Tampa and Orlando.I haven't been to Winn Dixie in a decade thankfully. Again my point is Publix is very expensive compared to what we pay in Richmond and its margins will likely be very thin here.
Publix will need to be price competitive in the Richmond metropolitan statistical area. I doubt it have difficulty adapting to the market.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:38 AM

830 posts, read 1,018,673 times
In the last year and a half, Wegman's, Lidl, Aldi, Neighborhood Market, and now Publix have been added to an already competitive mix of expanding grocers in the Richmond market. The area has more grocery stores per capita than any other region in the country (Wallethub). Who or will there be a first casualty? My bet is on Martin's, (Giant by any other name) whose quality and service have tanked to the bottom of the barrel.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Are they Kroger gift cards or gift cards to other businesses?
Other. My credit card gives 6% back at grocery stores so when they run 4x fuel points I'm at about 14% off.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
In the last year and a half, Wegman's, Lidl, Aldi, Neighborhood Market, and now Publix have been added to an already competitive mix of expanding grocers in the Richmond market. The area has more grocery stores per capita than any other region in the country (Wallethub). Who or will there be a first casualty? My bet is on Martin's, (Giant by any other name) whose quality and service have tanked to the bottom of the barrel.
I see Food Lion being an immediate casualty. Its stores are a step below Martin's. It has been obliterated by Kroger and Publix in other markets and states.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Publix will need to be price competitive in the Richmond metropolitan statistical area. I doubt it have difficulty adapting to the market.
I agree. My point is Richmond is saturated which drives margins very low. Only time will tell.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
I think Ahold's acquisition of Delhaize will have Martin's or Food Lion closing stores. Martin's is an improvement over Food Lion.
Agreed. But a pit compared to Ukrops.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
That's where I'd put my money too. That's why I was wondering if that's a possible acquisition target for Publix. Giant way overpaid for those stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond