Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2016, 08:22 PM

5 posts, read 4,783 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone. My family is going to be relocating to Richmond this summer for work. We are primarily basing our housing decision on high schools, as both of our children will be high school age. Obviously we want a good school for education, but both of our children are pretty talented on their string instruments. I have been searching but am having difficulty finding information on which Richmond area high schools have excellent orchestra programs. Open to living north, west, or south of the city, and looking to stay under 300K. Any insight would be helpful. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 03:54 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,315,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkFlyer View Post
Hello Everyone. My family is going to be relocating to Richmond this summer for work. We are primarily basing our housing decision on high schools, as both of our children will be high school age. Obviously we want a good school for education, but both of our children are pretty talented on their string instruments. I have been searching but am having difficulty finding information on which Richmond area high schools have excellent orchestra programs. Open to living north, west, or south of the city, and looking to stay under 300K. Any insight would be helpful. Thanks
Hi! I can't comment too much on schools, however I believe Hanover or Atlee High has a pretty active Orchestra program. I say that because I attended a state competition there for band. (My friends son was playing in the Orchestra) I would start there by giving them a call. What I can tell you is with that price point, the Mechanicsville area would be do-able, as would areas of Chesterfield and Henrico.

I recommend you go to Virginia Department of Education Report Cards site for all school info.

Please let me know if you need additional information. Happy to help.

Shannon

Old 02-19-2016, 06:00 PM

418 posts, read 1,049,044 times
General Marching Band seems to be bigger than string Orchestras but your larger schools would be the first place to look, I know James River in Midlothian has a good sized orchestra.

Old 02-19-2016, 07:13 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,697,150 times
My dd is in strings at moody middle school. They have a very good sized program. From there the kids spread out to Maggie walker, specialty centers, etc. but my dd knows several kids in the youth symphony. Honestly I think any high school in Hanover, Chrsterfield, or Henrico would be fine and I would be reluctant to base such a big decision on one factor.

Old 02-21-2016, 07:08 PM

5 posts, read 4,783 times
Thanks to everyone for the information. As I stated in the original post, quality education is very important and orchestra only is not what the decision will be based on. But if all things being equal on the education side of things, our children can go to a school with a strong orchestra program, we would investigate those options first. Just trying to get as much local feedback as I can. And again, appreciate any local info I can get. On a side note, James River and Clover Hill have very average to below average rankings on Schooldigger and GreatSchools but folks on here seem to say they are great schools. Any thoughts on those two schools in particular.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:05 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,697,150 times
I would contact the Youth Symphony and see if someone there can give you some insight.

I'm in Henrico so I have no information on those two schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond