Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2016, 02:30 PM

630 posts, read 1,717,045 times

Advertisements

My husband has accepted a job that is located in Glen Allen. We are hoping to find a house on some acreage or large private lots for around $300k. We actually like rural and don't mind driving into to town for things. Schools are important as we have one in high school and one in elementary. We aren't hung up on ratings. Good schools are fine..doesn't have to be the "best". Our high schooler has Asperger's and is somewhat socially awkward. He is in JRROTC and loves it so that is a must. What area would work best for us that is within a 30 min commute to Glen Allen? Would Goochland or Powhatan be a good fit? Any input would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 03:23 PM

418 posts, read 1,048,604 times
I think you will have the best luck in Hanover County. Both Lee Davis and Patrick Henry HS have NJROTC and it looks like you can find a house with a few acres in Mechanicsville for 300,000. I didn't see any HSs in Goochland or Powhatan on the list for ROTC.

Old 03-05-2016, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellieb128 View Post
I think you will have the best luck in Hanover County. Both Lee Davis and Patrick Henry HS have NJROTC and it looks like you can find a house with a few acres in Mechanicsville for 300,000. I didn't see any HSs in Goochland or Powhatan on the list for ROTC.
How do I find schools in the area with jrrotc? With a google search it showed an activity that Powhatan's jrrotc had for charity so I believe they do have it but I can't find what branch. Midlothian is a possiblity but I can't find anything about Jrrotc there either.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:01 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,313,018 times
Hanover county or Midlothian will have some of the larger lots you desire. Goochland will as well. I live in Midlothian on almost an acre. I love it because my kids have friends to play with, we like the schools, yet are not on top of our neighbors. We used to live in Glen Allen and moved for the larger lot. Being a real estate agent, I tend to do that a lot but we are staying put now!

Old 03-14-2016, 09:19 AM

485 posts, read 689,703 times
James River High School (Robious Rd. Midlothian) has JROTC program. Fits the bill right off 288 so short hop up to Glenn Allen. Lots in that price range are smaller. But communities like Riverton have walking distance access to the James River park system of trails etc.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:26 AM

126 posts, read 482,835 times
Western Henrico schools are best in the area, but the best special needs programs are in Chesterfield. North Chesterfield is probably your best bet.

I strongly recommend renting before you buy so you can get a good feel for each area.

Old 03-27-2016, 11:02 AM

4 posts, read 4,340 times
Hello,

The commute from Goochland would be better than from Powhatan when traveling to Glen Allen. According to Google Maps, it's a minimum of 35 minutes without traffic. During rush hour, your commute would be way more than you want.

My cousin/coworker's son has Aspergers and is at Hanover High School. I know one of the special ed teachers there. They have a great department for coming up with IEPs.

You may find lots between Virginia Center Commons area and Ashland, VA that meet what you are looking for.

Sincerely,
TAStewart

Old 03-29-2016, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAStewart View Post
Hello,

The commute from Goochland would be better than from Powhatan when traveling to Glen Allen. According to Google Maps, it's a minimum of 35 minutes without traffic. During rush hour, your commute would be way more than you want.

My cousin/coworker's son has Aspergers and is at Hanover High School. I know one of the special ed teachers there. They have a great department for coming up with IEPs.

You may find lots between Virginia Center Commons area and Ashland, VA that meet what you are looking for.

Sincerely,
TAStewart

Thanks! We aren't looking for special needs really as he is high functioning. The main thing is JROTC. Hanover High doesn't have it.

We made a scouting trip to Richmond this weekend. We really like Powhatan and the Montpelier areas. The commute to Innsbrook would stretch 30 minutes but would be worth it if we could get a couple of acres. Regarding Montpelier, our hesitation is the schools. Patrick Henry and Liberty middle aren't highly rated and seem to have bullying issues. I wish I could get some first hand feedback on them but realtors can't help.

Old 03-29-2016, 02:15 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,694,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Pajama mama~ View Post
Thanks! We aren't looking for special needs really as he is high functioning. The main thing is JROTC. Hanover High doesn't have it.

We made a scouting trip to Richmond this weekend. We really like Powhatan and the Montpelier areas. The commute to Innsbrook would stretch 30 minutes but would be worth it if we could get a couple of acres. Regarding Montpelier, our hesitation is the schools. Patrick Henry and Liberty middle aren't highly rated and seem to have bullying issues. I wish I could get some first hand feedback on them but realtors can't help.
Innsbrook traffic can be awful depending on where in Innsbrook the office is. Just an FYI that you may be underestimating the commute.

The good schools in Hanover are in Mechanicsville. As you are learning, the Montpelier school
assignments aren't so great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond