Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 10:30 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,872,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opacy View Post
I'd love to see a Wegman's downtown (or really even anywhere closer to downtown than Short Pump or Midlothian), but it seems like it wouldn't be possible with how they're set up. Isn't Wegman's big appeal (among other things) is that they have everything under the sun and a huge variety of food options in-house (produce, bakery, butcher, seafood, good hot/prepared food sections, hell, even a bar) that dwarf pretty much any other chain? They have a ridiculous amount of stock, but it also takes a ridiculous amount of space too.

I'm not sure Wegmans, in its current form at least can fit into the footprint of a dense urban area. If you made a stripped-down urban version with basics and mainly store brands what would differentiate it from other chains like Whole Foods (the cheaper 365 stores they're launching), TJs, and Aldi?
Yes, Wegmans model relies on very very frequent deliveries built around the suburban landscape. Having grown up in Rochester (Wegmans home), I know a good number of people in management there. They have a very nuanced supply-chain management structure that they will not deviate from unfortunately. The urban setting is different and therefore, probably not something they will delve into anytime soon.

Makes me sad, because Food Lion, Acme, and plenty other shops stay in business that should be put out of business.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 06-10-2016 at 08:25 AM.. Reason: bypassing the profanity filter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 10:36 AM

1,514 posts, read 2,776,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Yes, Wegmans model relies on very very frequent deliveries built around the suburban landscape. Having grown up in Rochester (Wegmans home), I know a good number of people in management there. They have a very nuanced supply-chain management structure that they will not deviate from unfortunately. The urban setting is different and therefore, probably not something they will delve into anytime soon.

Makes me sad, because Food Lion, Acme, and plenty other shops stay in business that should be put out of business.
Interesting, thanks for posting. makes sense, and helps explain pattern.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 06-10-2016 at 08:26 AM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 06-10-2016, 05:31 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Goodbye Whole Foods and Trader Joes and HELLO Wegmans. Everyone from miles around need to, at a minimum, visit it.

Old 06-11-2016, 06:14 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,665,428 times
Great news for the Richmond area! I didn't know what Wegman's was until I moved to VA. It's definitely a favorite now.

Old 06-16-2016, 05:54 PM

150 posts, read 219,142 times
I'm looking more forward to Publix !

Old 06-20-2016, 09:33 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,239,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvabread22 View Post
I'm looking more forward to Publix!
Publix's entry into the Richmond area in 2018 will be exciting. It may not be on the same level as Wegman's, but it is enough to cause Martin's and Food Lion to exit the market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
View detailed profiles of: