U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2016, 07:20 PM

5 posts, read 1,538 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking at homes in Wyndham. We think it's a lovely community, a comfortable distance from from Short Pump. Our children are grown, so we're now officially empty nesters. Are there social activities that would cater to us, or is it mainly a child oriented community? Insights please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 10:54 AM

679 posts, read 104,662 times
Hello, Richmondtransplant. Welcome to City-Data!

I have lived in Glen Allen for close to 5 years now. I do not live directly in Wyndham, but I do know a lot of people that do, and I participate in many activities in and around the area. I can only speak from visual opinion because I have not lived directly within the community.

Wyndham is a very quiet and calm community, in my opinion. It is very children oriented. There are many nice recreational amenities within the community, like their community pool and golf course (The Dominion Club). There is an abundance of sidewalks, which is a huge plus. Another plus is that the sidewalks are nowhere near the side of the road, so there is a lessened chance of injury. I say that because the sidewalks in Henrico, I've found, are to be horrible. The sidewalks are also wide enough for bicycling. I find that sidewalks are becoming more and more popular here in the area because parks are hard to access. I do know that down on Pump Road, the county is in the midst of building a park that is set to open, I believe, this month.

On Corwin Drive, by Dominion Club, there is a lake. I see many people fish there, if that is something you enjoy doing. They also have a gazebo, and a walking trail that loops around their golf course.

If it is just you and your husband, and you do not have many relatives close by, the area might be a little depressing to live in. It is beautiful, don't get me wrong, but if you aren't keeping busy, it is easy to become bored. I live in Glen Allen, and it can be very depressing when school is out for the summer, and not much is going on around me. That's why I will take the freeway to Short Pump mall to get out and walk, as well as shop. Short Pump might be your only "super fun" outlet. I know it is for me.

I hope I helped a little bit. I know I don't live in the immediate area, but I'm sure someone that does will post on this thread and assist you. Feel free to message me and ask questions - I am more than glad to help!

Welcome to the area!

Old 06-15-2016, 12:36 PM

Thank you for the thoughtful response!

Old 06-16-2016, 06:29 PM

3,977 posts, read 6,502,755 times
Head a little further down Nuckols Rd toward Ashland Rd, there's a new 55 and over community.
We live very nearby Wyndham.

Old 06-17-2016, 05:53 PM

Thank you, but I'm not interested in living in a 55+ only community. I'm looking for a mixed age community.

Old 06-18-2016, 10:22 AM

1,326 posts, read 1,624,898 times
A lot of empty nesters are moving back into the city, would that suit you? It tends to be the best for activities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond