Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 10:19 PM

797 posts, read 1,430,516 times

Advertisements

RVA is around 51% African American I don't think that should be an issue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 10:42 PM

193 posts, read 204,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekaten View Post
That sounds awesome!! I've developed an interest in hearing about the Civil War from the other perspective. Do you think we would fit in as AA transplants from NJ?
I don't think it's a matter of "fitting in" as much as exploring the many facets of Richmond's history during the Civil War era. Take the case of Elizabeth Van Lew for example. Van Lew was a wealthy spinster who lived in a big columned mansion in the Church Hill section of the city. In the attic of that house she had secret rooms where she hid runaway slaves moving north on the Underground Railroad. During the War, she assisted the Union cause in the Confederate Capital in a number of ways....

For example, she placed a female spy (servant) inside the Confederate White House who retrieved important war information from conversations she overheard. The spy then forwarded this to Van Lew who encoded the information, placed it in hollow egg shells, and sent it North to General Grant! Van Lew also hid in her attic rooms Union prisoners she helped escape from Libby Prison. After the War, President Grant made her Post Master of Richmond. (BTW, Van Lew's grandfather, Hilary Baker was mayor of Philadelphia in the 1790s).

There is so much history in Richmond!!

Old 06-22-2016, 02:57 PM

150 posts, read 219,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
RVA is around 51% African American I don't think that should be an issue
More like 60%

Old 06-22-2016, 05:40 PM

830 posts, read 1,019,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvabread22 View Post
More like 60%
50.8%, man | census. Hope you're not trying to push sarcasm, Meade. We all know, you aren't very good at it.

Old 06-22-2016, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
50.8%, man | census. Hope you're not trying to push sarcasm, Meade. We all know, you aren't very good at it.
Then it has changed because Richmond was closer to 60%. I guess now we have all the foreigners coming in so that has change it, lol. Wasn't being sarcastic! ( I don't know how to be sarcastic)

Old 06-22-2016, 06:08 PM

175 posts, read 204,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTinPhilly View Post
I don't think it's a matter of "fitting in" as much as exploring the many facets of Richmond's history during the Civil War era. Take the case of Elizabeth Van Lew for example. Van Lew was a wealthy spinster who lived in a big columned mansion in the Church Hill section of the city. In the attic of that house she had secret rooms where she hid runaway slaves moving north on the Underground Railroad. During the War, she assisted the Union cause in the Confederate Capital in a number of ways....

For example, she placed a female spy (servant) inside the Confederate White House who retrieved important war information from conversations she overheard. The spy then forwarded this to Van Lew who encoded the information, placed it in hollow egg shells, and sent it North to General Grant! Van Lew also hid in her attic rooms Union prisoners she helped escape from Libby Prison. After the War, President Grant made her Post Master of Richmond. (BTW, Van Lew's grandfather, Hilary Baker was mayor of Philadelphia in the 1790s).

There is so much history in Richmond!!
Very stirring piece of history - I'll be sure to make a note of that. Thank you!!

Old 06-22-2016, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekaten View Post
Very stirring piece of history - I'll be sure to make a note of that. Thank you!!
I have a family story where my great great great grandmother confronted two Federal officers off her veranda on Franklin St. They shot at her (just to scare her) and missed and hit a painting in the front parlor. To this day the bullet mark is still visible!

Old 06-22-2016, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvabread22 View Post
I have a family story where my great great great grandmother confronted two Federal officers off her veranda on Franklin St. They shot at her (just to scare her) and missed and hit a painting in the front parlor. To this day the bullet mark is still visible!
WOW!! Good lord, that must have been petrifying for her!!

Old 06-30-2016, 08:09 PM

Bump. What are the best public high schools in Richmond? Asking on behalf of my younger siblings.

Old 07-04-2016, 11:41 AM
mwr

85 posts, read 140,172 times
The best public HSs are found in the far west end, I believe. Deep Run & Godwin. There is a "Governor's School" as well, and it is excellent but students must be accepted. (I'm new here, so I don't quite understand the nuances.) Lots of specialty centers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond