U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 05:31 AM

737 posts, read 2,702,779 times
SeptmbrzBrz, if you're going to look at other areas, Fredericksburg is less than an hour north of Richmond and is building one new satillite hospital, a new emergency room, plus a whole new hospital to the south. (All in addition to the large Mary Washington Hospital in downtown) All of these projects are scheduled to be completed by early 2010. (The whole new hospital being the last one)

Anyways, as far as Richmond goes, I'd have to say that the far west end would be the safest area. (Near ShortPump)

As for people being welcoming, if you stay to the more populated areas you should be fine. If you venture out into the countryside, THEN you might get a little cold sholder at first.

16817Sun, where would you be working? And as Richmondpics said, price range?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 09:05 PM

4 posts, read 62,956 times
Default Richmond living

Price range would be anywhere from $250,000 - $350,000. We don't want a long commute at all. I would be working in the shockoe bottom area. We currently live in a large home on one acre. The kids love it, but my husband and I would like to scale down and not feel so tied to our house. I hear the west end and henrico county are good places, and even some parts of the city itself. I think the standard of living is a bit higher than we are used to. And I hear the taxes in VA are dreadful. Is this true?
Thanks for any feedback.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:03 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,902,758 times
I don't know if I would consider the taxes dreadful (husband retired military so never had to pay them anywhere else). I think the personal property tax is what gets to people. I will say that when I help folks relocating from New York, they think the taxes down here are a godsend. With that being said, you will find that property tax rates vary from county to county. When we were in Spotsylvania, the rate was $.62/$100 of assessed value; now in Chesterfield it is $.95 (? - just lowered so not 100% sure)/$100 of assessed value. Keep in mind though that the assessed value will also be different based on the county. I just consider it my version of private school! :-)

As to the commute and home search, definitely should be doable. The main thing is to decide the area/county you want to be in, otherwise you could search forever. I would recommend the places you will be driving on a daily basis and considering the price of gas, get as close as you can yet still be in a good neighborhood.

If you decide on Chesterfield I would be happy to offer my suggestions, but the west end is not my specialty.

Good luck - you really can get some good suggestions on this site!

Old 06-12-2008, 07:59 AM

1,048 posts, read 3,096,135 times
Default Taxation with Representation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16817Sun View Post
And I hear the taxes in VA are dreadful. Is this true?
I don't know where you're moving from, but Virginia's state and local taxes are fairly "average," 18th lowest in a 2007 study by the Tax Foundation. And Virginia does a very good job of managing your tax dollars. It was one of only three states that received an "A" (technically, an A-, but that was the highest grade given any state) rating in the 2005 Pew Trust "Grading the States"/Government Performance Project.

Grading the States - The Pew Center on the States
Government Performance Project 2005/Report card: Virginia

There are always trade-offs in tax rates and policies, but how efficiently the money is allocated is at least as important. I'm no Virginia cheerleader, just giving credit where credit is due.

You may need to define "long commute" to get neighborhood referrals. The commute from the far West End to Shockoe Bottom is 30-40 minutes in moderate traffic. Shockoe is in the dead center of Downtown Richmond; Short Pump is as far west in Henrico as you can go.

Old 06-14-2008, 07:29 PM

57 posts, read 137,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeptmbrzBrz View Post
My husband and I are planning a move to Richmond, Va within the year. We currently live in Memphis, TN.
We are also moving to the area, and once lived in Memphis so maybe I can draw some comparisons for you. Henrico county generally looks like Germantown and Bartlett do now -- built up, lots of new subdivisions, malls and big-box stores. Hanover county looks like Germantown and Bartlett did about 10-15 years ago; some development (and clearly more to come) but you can drive 5 minutes in any direction and see horse pastures and small family-owned stores. Ashland reminds me of Oxford MS -- but friendlier (we lived there once, and if you're not "from there" don't bother). Both counties are safe. The gentrified part of Richmond downtown is most similar to midtown Memphis (renovated brick townhomes, trees and statuary, with funky shops and restaurants). The slums look like city slums anywhere, and seem to be in the south part of the city. Haven't been to Chesterfield, sorry.

We ended up in Hanover -- good schools, pretty country.

Old 11-28-2009, 02:22 AM

3 posts, read 12,783 times
Hello,

My wife and I are anticipating relocating to Richmond, VA from Paris, France in three to four months. We own a house in California that has seriously declined in value over the last two years so buying is not presently an option, and we are seeking to rent in Richmond for 2-3 years while that house (hopefully) recovers a bit of its value. I'll be working in the Dumbarton area just north of the 95/64 split. Appreciate any guidance anyone can offer regarding the following questions:

1) We suffered through a horrible commute for many years when we previously lived in San Francisco and aren't looking to ever repeat that again. San Francisco was an awesome place to live, however, three hours + in the car every day sucked the life out of us. How bad is traffic getting into downtown Richmond? Is it feasible to live very far out without exceeding a 30 minute commute? If so, how far generally?

2) We're trying to confine ourselves to a monthly rent of $1,800 a month maximum. We're open to both renting a house outside the city or renting a condo downtown. Is this feasible with this budget? I've looked online a bit, however, there seems to be quite a range so I'm having trouble getting a firm grip on what one can get for this in which areas. Any input very welcome.

3) I'm in federal law enforcement and want to keep my family in a decent and safe area, and like to feel I'm away from crime when I'm away from work, but also find homogeneous suburbs pretty boring and uninteresting. I will resort to one if I feel that's the only option to have my family in a low-crime area but don't want to. Can anyone recommend some "safe" communities that still offer some diversity in the population and maybe some nightlife reasonably close?

4) What are areas to definitely avoid living in in and around Richmond?

5) For commuting to this area north of the 95/64 split are there any bad traffic choke points (bridges or whatever) that are good to keep in mind when picking an area to live in?

Apologize for all the bullets! Thanks in advance for any input anyone feels like providing!

Old 11-28-2009, 08:51 AM

186 posts, read 314,210 times
Ashland reminds me of Oxford MS -- but friendlier (we lived there once, and if you're not "from there" don't bother). Both counties are safe.

We ended up in Hanover -- good schools, pretty country.[/quote]

Can you elaborate on "if you're not from there don't bother" regarding Ashland?

I recently added Ashland to my list but if it would pose a problem (possible reloaction from MA), I won't bother.

I frequently come across the word "redneck" on this Forum. Can someone give me examples of redneck behavior? Is this the reason for "not bothering?"

Old 11-28-2009, 06:40 PM

12 posts, read 33,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paris_Tim View Post
Hello,

My wife and I are anticipating relocating to Richmond, VA from Paris, France in three to four months. We own a house in California that has seriously declined in value over the last two years so buying is not presently an option, and we are seeking to rent in Richmond for 2-3 years while that house (hopefully) recovers a bit of its value. I'll be working in the Dumbarton area just north of the 95/64 split. Appreciate any guidance anyone can offer regarding the following questions:

1) We suffered through a horrible commute for many years when we previously lived in San Francisco and aren't looking to ever repeat that again. San Francisco was an awesome place to live, however, three hours + in the car every day sucked the life out of us. How bad is traffic getting into downtown Richmond? Is it feasible to live very far out without exceeding a 30 minute commute? If so, how far generally?

2) We're trying to confine ourselves to a monthly rent of $1,800 a month maximum. We're open to both renting a house outside the city or renting a condo downtown. Is this feasible with this budget? I've looked online a bit, however, there seems to be quite a range so I'm having trouble getting a firm grip on what one can get for this in which areas. Any input very welcome.

3) I'm in federal law enforcement and want to keep my family in a decent and safe area, and like to feel I'm away from crime when I'm away from work, but also find homogeneous suburbs pretty boring and uninteresting. I will resort to one if I feel that's the only option to have my family in a low-crime area but don't want to. Can anyone recommend some "safe" communities that still offer some diversity in the population and maybe some nightlife reasonably close?

4) What are areas to definitely avoid living in in and around Richmond?

5) For commuting to this area north of the 95/64 split are there any bad traffic choke points (bridges or whatever) that are good to keep in mind when picking an area to live in?

Apologize for all the bullets! Thanks in advance for any input anyone feels like providing!
The Bellevue neighborhood (23227 zip) might be for you if you're trying to avoid the boring suburbs. Very nice older homes, families, a couple nice restaurants you can walk to, etc. The Fan is the coolest neighborhood in Richmond, but expensive these days. Bellevue is where a lot of Fan-dwellers go when they get married and start thinking about having kids. If you work on Dumbarton and live in Bellevue, your commute will be like five minutes.

You could live in Church Hill (very cool old neighborhood, flats in renovated tobacco warehouses, etc.) or the Fan and get to Dumbarton in 15 minutes or less.

You mention "family" but don't say if you have school children. If you have kids and live in the Richmond area, you almost have to go to the boring suburbs (Hanover County and Chesterfield have good schools).

Any neighborhood in the city of Richmond will have crime, just like in pretty much every American city. However, if you want to be where the action is, you have to accept that once in a while someone might try to break into your car or whatever. If you don't want to deal with anything like that, you'll need to head to the suburbs.

Old 11-28-2009, 06:43 PM

12 posts, read 33,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camer View Post

Can you elaborate on "if you're not from there don't bother" regarding Ashland?

I recently added Ashland to my list but if it would pose a problem (possible reloaction from MA), I won't bother.

I think that person was saying Oxford, MS was unfriendly, not Ashland.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:06 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,902,758 times
Paris_Tim, I think you'll find the commute in the Richmond area much better than what you dealt with in San Francisco. We recently relocated to the Richmond area (more specifically Chesterfield County) and came from Fredericksburg. My husband commuted from there to DC for four years, and if finally took it's toll on him and we headed south. So we have totally been in your shoes.

As to the choke-points you mentioned, I think you'll find the worse congestion comes around the toll booths, so you may want to avoid a location that will have you using those roads. In general the traffic flows pretty smoothly UNLESS there is an accident on I95, and then, all bets are off!

Good luck with the move and let us know if you have any other questions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond