U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 05:52 AM

9 posts, read 4,311 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving to Richmond next spring/summer, and we are very excited about it. We love so many things about Richmond, one of them being how liberal it is(Very Liberal compared to the rural Missouri we live in now). My question is: how far outside of downtown Richmond does this extend? If we lived south of the James, would people be less accepting of lgbt families? Is Tuckahoe conservative? Are all of the suburbs conservative? I just want to make sure I live somewhere where I can joyfully and peacefully hold my wife's hand walking down the street. But I also don't want to necessarily right in the heart of the city. Are these two things possible? I just don't want to make a mistake and end up somewhere I feel ostracized again.

Old 11-12-2016, 06:15 AM

873 posts, read 434,008 times
Stop listening to the news. Conservatives are not bad people.

Sure, there are a few that are bad, but thinking conservatives will ostracize you is ridiculous.

Hell, I live in a VERY conservative county(90%+ vote Republican) and we have gay neighbors that the whole neighborhood loves.

Stop generalizing. It is like thinking all poor urban people are in gangs or that every Mexican here is here illegally.

Unless you move out to the boonies, you won't have any issues in the Richmond area. Even then, you're likely to not be accepted because you're an outsider more than the fact you're gay.

Old 11-12-2016, 11:36 AM

78 posts, read 53,251 times
I'd probably recommend staying within the city limits if possible. That includes areas with houses like forest hill (which is south of the james) and the northside.

There are liberal pockets in the suburbs but it's hard to for me to put my finger on a suburban area around here in particular that's known for being liberal. That being said, I don't think it will be too hard for you to find a place around here where you should feel comfortable.

The bigger question in my mind is budget/whether you care about schools. If schools are an issue, you'll have additional considerations, but I still think you should be able to find places where you'll be happy.

Good luck!

Old 11-12-2016, 07:38 PM

393 posts, read 738,425 times
I'm a screaming liberal and am very happy in the Robious corridor in Midlothian- it is a mix of folks but the conservatives are the "smart conservatives" vs. well the others. I have many like minded friends in my neighborhood. And I also love this part of town.

Old 11-13-2016, 02:05 PM

2,757 posts, read 3,682,816 times
This website lists resources for LGBT people in the Richmond area - including the Gay Community Center (on the north side), and the Triangle Players, who performs various plays about LGBT life.

http://diversityrichmond.org

http://www.rtriangle.org

Old 11-13-2016, 03:39 PM

385 posts, read 406,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aawrite View Post
My wife and I are moving to Richmond next spring/summer, and we are very excited about it. We love so many things about Richmond, one of them being how liberal it is(Very Liberal compared to the rural Missouri we live in now). My question is: how far outside of downtown Richmond does this extend? If we lived south of the James, would people be less accepting of lgbt families? Is Tuckahoe conservative? Are all of the suburbs conservative? I just want to make sure I live somewhere where I can joyfully and peacefully hold my wife's hand walking down the street. But I also don't want to necessarily right in the heart of the city. Are these two things possible? I just don't want to make a mistake and end up somewhere I feel ostracized again.
Nobody in Richmond or the suburbs gives a **** whether you and your wife hold hands with each other. Don't believe everything you see on CNN or MSNBC. If you're looking for extremely Liberal areas, because you're scared of the Conservatives that populate most of VA then I'd recommend you check out the NoVA and DC area.

Old 11-13-2016, 06:11 PM

613 posts, read 429,415 times
I'm gay. I don't experience any hostility in the metro area. The only place that I've felt conspicuous is in Colonial Heights. Even there it was limited to a pretty small area.

I'd still recommend staying north of the James. The Robious Road corridor (south of the James), as mentioned above, is conservative but they are rich and well traveled conservatives. They will embrace you but closer to the city is still a better bet. The Forest Hill Park area (also south of the James) is a wonderful neighborhood, really outdoorsy and crunchy. Belleview is a good bet too.
Church Hill, the Fan, Museum District, Byrd Park, Belleview and Forest Hill are your best options but pretty much everywhere in Henrico west of 95 is very hospitable (and blue). In these areas people won't even notice you.

Like others have said, conservatives in the area are mostly good people who genuinely like LGBTQ people. They may vote against your rights but are nice to your face and behind your back.

Old 11-15-2016, 07:29 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,735,761 times
This is just ridiculous. Live wherever you want! Nobody cares! This isn't backwards MO! Just because somebodies conservative does NOT mean that they care or are opposed to what you and your wife do . Just like the fact that there are MILLIONS of Liberals in this country that own guns and don't believe that bankrupting the country and putting everybody on welfare is the answer to everything.

You would THINK gay people would be the LAST to stereotype a group of people based on any one given thing! C'mon! Somebodies political preference is irreverent. I understand that it may not be 2016 down in MO, but VA ain't MO! Pick a nice neighborhood, and move there. It's really that easy.

Old 11-16-2016, 03:23 AM

1,528 posts, read 2,548,379 times
In order to be ostracized in most parts of Virginia, one would have to openly wear and publicize their political viewpoints. And in many parts of Virginia, you'd have to work at offending folks. As the other posters indicate, people don't care about your sex life or your political viewpoints as long as you keep them reasonably to yourself.

Good luck with your move!

Old 11-16-2016, 05:12 AM

9 posts, read 4,311 times
Hey thanks for the input folks, I appreciate it. And, just so you know, I wasn't trying to offend anyone or box someone in by using the term "conservative".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond