Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 11:47 AM

370 posts, read 1,009,809 times

Advertisements

Richmond needs to find a way to develop the riverfront downtown... opening it up to private development while still providing public access. We should be able to have a beer somewhere and listen to the rapids.

Lack of pro-sports is a positive IMO. It allows for more interesting and entertaining forms of diversion.

Schools. Need to improve the culture and quality of Middle and High Schools.

Government inefficiencies.... government trips over itself too often. One gets the impression that much of the recent redevelopment has been DIY which I do like. Or maybe the City simply stepped out of the way intentionally? City backed projects like the Farmer's Market seem to drag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 09:11 AM

107 posts, read 121,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordwillin02 View Post
i have to admit it sucks getting the vibe that rva is embarrassed about our southern heritage
That's because of all the politically correct nazis with their race card BS and general stupidity. That is easily one of the worst if not the worst thing about Richmond. Monument Ave is a perfect example. Blacks spew graffitti on those statues and nobody cares. But if someone dared touch the Arthur Ashe statue, you can believe people would be freaking out and whipping out the race card like an uzi. Richmond is a picture postcard of the hypocrisy which is overtaking this country. And with our society being highly mobile, people move a lot more and so there are fewer people to take pride in Richmond's Southern heritage. But again you can thank the hissy fit morons for that, they think it's all about slavery (psssst clue: that's been over for a REAL long time).

And while I understand it's been better in recent years, Richmond is also a long-standing leader in the country in violent crime. If you hate hearing about people shooting other people, don't watch the local news.

It also can be extremely trashy, and I mean that in every sense of the word. I see it routinely on the roads...knuckle-dragging slugs just toss their cig butts or whatever out the window. And a lot of low-class attitudes in general....and those that aren't just pretend they don't see it and look the other way.

The driving I've spoke of elsewhere, and granted there are few places I've been where people generally have a clue, but IMO this is one of the worst areas for stupid/obnoxious drivers around.

I can't speak to the schools but have heard from people with kids and from teachers that yes schools are a big problem too.

Also good luck finding a good neighborhood to live in, esp if you don't like hearing people's so-called music BOOM BOOMING day and night. I don't live in the boonies for nothing.

Shopping...unless you live near west end (which has its own issues), available shopping is a joke.

The govt is horrific. The city council alone has a long-standing tradition of thugs and self-serving incompetent jerks, and that's being kind. No small reason why much of downtown area is the kind of thing you'd rather not be in or even see.

I could go on. sigh.

Don't get me wrong it's not all bad, but there is good AND bad in every city and town and it's good for people to know BOTH before making a decision to move here. Frankly I would not recommend it overall. It's a classic case of a place that looks good on paper but the reality is very different.

Old 02-18-2017, 03:24 PM

830 posts, read 1,017,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe5 View Post
That's because of all the politically correct nazis with their race card BS and general stupidity. That is easily one of the worst if not the worst thing about Richmond. Monument Ave is a perfect example. Blacks spew graffitti on those statues and nobody cares. But if someone dared touch the Arthur Ashe statue, you can believe people would be freaking out and whipping out the race card like an uzi. Richmond is a picture postcard of the hypocrisy which is overtaking this country. And with our society being highly mobile, people move a lot more and so there are fewer people to take pride in Richmond's Southern heritage. But again you can thank the hissy fit morons for that, they think it's all about slavery (psssst clue: that's been over for a REAL long time).

And while I understand it's been better in recent years, Richmond is also a long-standing leader in the country in violent crime. If you hate hearing about people shooting other people, don't watch the local news.

It also can be extremely trashy, and I mean that in every sense of the word. I see it routinely on the roads...knuckle-dragging slugs just toss their cig butts or whatever out the window. And a lot of low-class attitudes in general....and those that aren't just pretend they don't see it and look the other way.

The driving I've spoke of elsewhere, and granted there are few places I've been where people generally have a clue, but IMO this is one of the worst areas for stupid/obnoxious drivers around.

I can't speak to the schools but have heard from people with kids and from teachers that yes schools are a big problem too.

Also good luck finding a good neighborhood to live in, esp if you don't like hearing people's so-called music BOOM BOOMING day and night. I don't live in the boonies for nothing.

Shopping...unless you live near west end (which has its own issues), available shopping is a joke.

The govt is horrific. The city council alone has a long-standing tradition of thugs and self-serving incompetent jerks, and that's being kind. No small reason why much of downtown area is the kind of thing you'd rather not be in or even see.

I could go on. sigh.

Don't get me wrong it's not all bad, but there is good AND bad in every city and town and it's good for people to know BOTH before making a decision to move here. Frankly I would not recommend it overall. It's a classic case of a place that looks good on paper but the reality is very different.
First of all, I'd say that if you don't like or wouldn't recommend the community you live in, then it's probably time to leave. But then, it's not even clear where exactly you are in the Richmond vicinity as by your own omission, you live "in the boonies." One has to ask how much of your perspective is actually informed by daily experience with Richmond versus impression and innuendo.

Honestly, the statues on Monument Avenue are there and they aren't going anywhere. Monument Avenue is beautiful example of the City Beautiful movement and its statues while perhaps controversial, have their own history. The street is also the only street to be itself a national landmark. But it's silly to believe attitudes about any subject are going to remain static over a century, and that something that can so clearly be perceived as controversial, located in what was the center of the controversy wouldn't invite some contemporary criticism, history, "heritage" or otherwise. Speaking of Nazis as you throw around the term, I don't see too many statues of Goebbels and Himmler around when I visit Germany (and yes, as bizarre as it sounds to you, that's exactly how it's perceived by our own foreign visitors, otherwise requiring a clear historic explanation of their presence on the avenue). And this is why. Anyhooo...

When I think of retail, cuisine and culture in the Richmond area, I think of the city itself and its independent-minded and award winning culinary artists and quirky, unique shops you find from downtown to Carytown. Of course, if chains are your thing, then by all means Short Pump and West End are where you need to be. Of course, some of the toniest of the shopping at Stony Point, like Saks, Tiffany's and all that jazz is actually still within the city limits...just saying.

Richmond's government, planning and foresight are on the mend. The lingering issues of nepotism in city hall and government dysfunction are finally being dealt with, thankfully. Schools remain the biggest issue that Richmond city faces. The area itself is beautiful and constantly attracting new high paying jobs, and development. It's an improving area. But yes, the schools; the palpitating, albeit isolated, crime; and certain aesthetic improvements in particular areas are due to be addressed.

Old 02-20-2017, 04:26 PM

626 posts, read 380,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe5 View Post

I could go on. sigh.

not really sure why you're getting such a negative response. it's all fair points.

i'm in richmond and cannot wait to leave.

Old 02-26-2017, 02:00 AM

2,173 posts, read 4,404,837 times
Ok I was just in Richmond checking it out. I'm from north of Seattle WA. I hit TN first then flew over to VA. Kind of casually checking out the areas for possible relocation. Overall I had a very nice time:

-the Richmond urban core was very nice just as I had read, reminded me a lot of West Philly around Univ of Penn.
-there were some nice wooded neighborhoods in the suburbs and of course your standard town centers with national chains
-Univ of Richmond is a pretty campus and the neighborhood around it is very nice
-I attended a VCU mens b-ball game and had fun...VERY enthusiastic and raucous fan base!
-Drove down to Wiliamsburg...Jamestown museum is really terrific and first class, and so is Colonial Williamsburg. College of William and Mary is stunning. Was over at Yorktown at twilight, the sky turned pink and they have a nice beach there even though on the bay (got lucky and temps in 70's when I was in VA in Feb!)
-drove up to Charlottesville & Blue Ridge Parkway, really nice back roads (nice wineries on back roads around Charlottesville)
-the Richmond area is pretty flat, that will take getting used to for someone from the western U.S. or other mountainous area - as you drive around the metro area you don't get sweeping vistas, see mountains, or see 20 miles into the distance like you do in most of the west (I knew this about Richmond of course, but just making the observation). Driving down to Williamsburg the view the whole way down is just the trees on each side & the road ahead. Nashville & Knoxville have a much more hilly topography in comparison.

Couple of questions.

-Where do Richmond folks go when they want to take a nice hike in say more of a larger state park that has more of a wilderness feel (not a urban city park or James River park)? I'm hoping there are places closer than driving all the way up to Blue Ridge Pkwy area.
-I didn't make it out to Lake Anna, is that a nice lake and park?
-Do Richmond folks go to the outer banks of NC often? I imagine you can rent a weekly furnished condo there (but probably very pricey during warm season). Are the outer banks nice? Super crowded?
-How crowded do the mountains get in spring, summer, fall? There was a decent amount of cars up there on Friday and it is still February. So I'm wondering if it gets really slammed up there. I imagine the NOVA crowd gets up there in large numbers?

Amazingly this was my first time to Virginia even though I grew up east coast in New England (but have been on west coast for almost 30 yrs). VA is really a beautiful state with a ton to offer in scenery, history, road trips, etc... I love history, they had to literally kick me out of the Jamestown museum at 5pm closing time There are so many really beautiful college campuses in the state.

Old 02-26-2017, 01:04 PM

485 posts, read 689,426 times
- Pocahontas state park is just to the south of Richmond proper in Chesterfield Pocahontas State Park
- Lake Anna is a man made lake (for the Nuclear Power Plant). I don't consider it extremely pretty myself but it is is popular. I like Smith Mountain Lake the best (it of course is man made as well).
-Outer Banks are popular and Virginia Beach has had a resurgence the past decade. Outer banks are fairly crowded in the summer months but dead quiet rest of the year. There are some cheap places to go up toward the Tappahannock area about an hour out of Richmond on the Rivers feeding the Chesapeake.
-I have never seen the mountains get that crowded. I don't think the NOVA crowd explores much in the western mountains.

Old 02-26-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbl1 View Post
- Pocahontas state park is just to the south of Richmond proper in Chesterfield Pocahontas State Park
- Lake Anna is a man made lake (for the Nuclear Power Plant). I don't consider it extremely pretty myself but it is is popular. I like Smith Mountain Lake the best (it of course is man made as well).
-Outer Banks are popular and Virginia Beach has had a resurgence the past decade. Outer banks are fairly crowded in the summer months but dead quiet rest of the year. There are some cheap places to go up toward the Tappahannock area about an hour out of Richmond on the Rivers feeding the Chesapeake.
-I have never seen the mountains get that crowded. I don't think the NOVA crowd explorah much in the western mountains.
Thanks for the info. I've noticed the lakes in the Southeast seem to be mostly large man made type lakes/reservoirs vs. states like Maine, NH, Minnesota, Wisconsin, etc... that have a more natural lakes in wild settings.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:32 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,072,760 times
The southeast had little to no glacier action during the last ice age so the pock marked landscape that became the bucolic lakes you speak of just isn't there.

Old 02-27-2017, 06:22 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,681,637 times
For any strenuous hiking, you'll have to drive a few hours west.
Interesting destinations are available in every direction though. The Northern Neck and the Eastern Shore are very pretty and tranquil.

False Cape State Park is definately my favorite park n VA. It is located in Virginia Beach along the NC boarder. It isn't accessible by automobile and one must traverse a nature preserve to reach it (a 6 mile or so hike or bike ride from the nearest parking lot). There is a ton of wildlfe (to include wild horses and nutrias). There's even some Spanish moss on the trees! I've spent hours there in the summer (on a huge, dune-lined beach) without seeing another person. It's like being shipwrecked (and unlike the PNW and New Engkand, the isn't freezing). The Dismal Swamp is intersting too (large cypress trees and cotton mouths!).

Pretty much everyone I know goes to the Outer Banks at least once a year. I personally never cared for it, the pace and scene, but the beaches get very nice in the southern half of NC. The beaches of the Eastern Shore look similair but with a tiny fraction of the people (and a bit colder water).

False Cape camping!
http://farm1.staticflickr.com/61/170...8cb4f428_z.jpg

Eastern Shore

http://www.easternshorevablog.com/wp...2/DSC_0072.jpg

The bay (Eastern Shore)

http://www.easternshorevablog.com/wp...g-North-HD.jpg

Last edited by spencer114; 02-27-2017 at 06:58 PM..

Old 02-28-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
For any strenuous hiking, you'll have to drive a few hours west.
Interesting destinations are available in every direction though. The Northern Neck and the Eastern Shore are very pretty and tranquil.

False Cape State Park is definately my favorite park n VA. It is located in Virginia Beach along the NC boarder. It isn't accessible by automobile and one must traverse a nature preserve to reach it (a 6 mile or so hike or bike ride from the nearest parking lot). There is a ton of wildlfe (to include wild horses and nutrias). There's even some Spanish moss on the trees! I've spent hours there in the summer (on a huge, dune-lined beach) without seeing another person. It's like being shipwrecked (and unlike the PNW and New Engkand, the isn't freezing). The Dismal Swamp is intersting too (large cypress trees and cotton mouths!).

Pretty much everyone I know goes to the Outer Banks at least once a year. I personally never cared for it, the pace and scene, but the beaches get very nice in the southern half of NC. The beaches of the Eastern Shore look similair but with a tiny fraction of the people (and a bit colder water).

False Cape camping!
http://farm1.staticflickr.com/61/170...8cb4f428_z.jpg

Eastern Shore

http://www.easternshorevablog.com/wp...2/DSC_0072.jpg

The bay (Eastern Shore)

http://www.easternshorevablog.com/wp...g-North-HD.jpg
Thanks for the heads up on these areas! Having outdoor getaways and adventures I enjoy is a important big part of where I want to live!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond