Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2006, 08:15 PM

2 posts, read 10,709 times

Advertisements

I'm moving with my wife and two young daughters from suburban Atlanta to the Richmond area. Any leads on areas where we can find homes for under $200k in a safe area, or are my expectations are unrealistic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2006, 09:39 AM

72 posts, read 296,043 times
Chesterfield County (southside) is less than Henrico Co which is westend area. Try Midlothian which has good schools, shopping, etc. I'm not sure what prices are now, check some online sites- try Long & Foster realtors. Also check newspapers- Richmond Times Dispatch classified.

Old 01-04-2007, 10:47 PM
lxs

2 posts, read 11,637 times
Default Housing in Richmond Suburbs

alphachannel,
Just wondering How is your Housing Search going . I am also looking forward to move to Richmond and looking for safe/good schools,new developments and close to shopping .

do you have any experiances to share so far on any new/good developments

Thanks
lxs

Old 01-05-2007, 08:50 AM

59 posts, read 314,481 times
Default Affordable and Safe Housing

Personally I think if you want something decent $200,000 not going to get you much.

Look at zip codes 23112, 23113 for Chesterfield and 23060 for Henrico.

You probably are going to have to raise your price range just a little bit though. Unless you want something small that's a fixer upper.

Old 01-14-2007, 07:49 PM

4 posts, read 18,374 times
Default Affordable, safe housing near Richmond

I'd recommend Chesterfield County. You can still find a decent home under $200K. You might even be able to find a home in Henrico County under $200K but those are harder to find.

Hope this helps,

Deb Orth

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphachannel View Post
I'm moving with my wife and two young daughters from suburban Atlanta to the Richmond area. Any leads on areas where we can find homes for under $200k in a safe area, or are my expectations are unrealistic?

Old 01-26-2007, 03:46 PM

1 posts, read 6,915 times
Look into Hanover County, just north of Henrico - specifically the Mechanicsville area. It's still close (10-15 minutes tops) from downtown and also convenient to shopping and I-295. My wife grew up here and loved it. The schools are excellent and in the two years I've enjoyed having the city life close while enjoying the amenities of suburbia. Additionally, crime is lower than Chesterfield/Richmond/Henrico, so that's a plus as well.

Due to a sudden job transfer, we're on here looking for info on Northern Virginia... so if you need a cute house priced at about $200k let me know.

Old 02-15-2007, 12:41 PM

2 posts, read 10,198 times
Default Schools in Hanover

Hi,

I will be attending the Teachers Job Fair in Hanover, and if all goes well I may be interested in your house. In your opinion, how do the schools rate compared to N.VA?

Old 02-20-2007, 11:10 AM

689 posts, read 1,607,569 times
Hi! I moved from Richmond to NoVA, and the schools in Hanover, western Henrico and western Chesterfield are all excellent, among the best in the state. So are some of the schools in NoVA, but the tradeoff in cost and congestion is definitely not worth it, in my opinion. Your salary would not be substantially higher.

alphachannel -- staying under $200 in a good area will be a challenge, Richmond real estate has gone up a lot. But the zip codes listed before are good, and Chesterfield/Midlothian (23112, 23113) are great places for families. Really Richmond in general is great. But all three counties -- Richmond, Henrico, Hanover -- have their sketchy areas, so learn more before you buy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond