Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 09:48 PM

20 posts, read 22,749 times

Advertisements

My wife and I recently retired here in Scottsdale, AZ and for a number of reasons we would like to move back to the east. We are both from Philadelphia but would prefer a location with milder winters. After much research and discussion with friends we have decided to concentrate our search on Raleigh/Durham or Richmond. I lived in DC many years ago and loved it but it is a little too busy for us now. Both cities get good reviews. I have no idea where to start looking. This is what we are looking for:
1) single family home on about 1 acre, 3-4 bedrooms, 1st floor master, lot large enough for garden and possible pool.
2) price range $600-800k
3) nearby hiking trails
4) nearby walkable community of shops and restaurants would be nice
5) reasonably close to healthcare

Any suggestions of neighborhoods to look at or avoid would be appreciated. Also looking for a real estate agent who is honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2017, 06:15 AM

132 posts, read 190,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocvc2015 View Post
My wife and I recently retired here in Scottsdale, AZ and for a number of reasons we would like to move back to the east. We are both from Philadelphia but would prefer a location with milder winters. After much research and discussion with friends we have decided to concentrate our search on Raleigh/Durham or Richmond. I lived in DC many years ago and loved it but it is a little too busy for us now. Both cities get good reviews. I have no idea where to start looking. This is what we are looking for:
1) single family home on about 1 acre, 3-4 bedrooms, 1st floor master, lot large enough for garden and possible pool.
2) price range $600-800k
3) nearby hiking trails
4) nearby walkable community of shops and restaurants would be nice
5) reasonably close to healthcare

Any suggestions of neighborhoods to look at or avoid would be appreciated. Also looking for a real estate agent who is honest.
You should be able to find that in the Richmond area. I would look in Chesterfield for the amount of land you want, and that should hit most of your criteria other than walkable community of shops and restaurants. You *might* be able to find something at the upper end of your range in Windsor Farms, which is the only neighborhood in Richmond that I think could meet all of your criteria (although the home you'd find there for that price range may need a bit of updating) - you can generally get walkability or land in the Richmond area, but it's hard to find both, other than in that neighborhood. You could also look at the neighborhoods that are walking distance to Willow Lawn - they may be smaller lots and houses than you'd want, but Willow Lawn has a number of shops and restaurants and there are some decent houses with walkability to it.

I've lived in both the Raleigh/Durham area and in Richmond, and I love them both but they're fairly different. I'd recommend visiting both to see what you think (they're only a couple hours apart and it's an easy drive - you could fly to one and rent a car and drive to the other). Very broadly, there's more history in Richmond and it's more walkable in the core part of the city, but Raleigh/Durham has faster growth from the tech industry (from what I understand it's a suburban sprawl-type growth) and a much heavier university presence (Richmond definitely has a university presence too, but it's a stronger influence in Raleigh/Durham), which I think makes Raleigh/Durham a little more diverse, although both areas have a lot of diversity for mid-sized cities. My understanding is that Raleigh/Durham traffic has gotten a bit difficult with the growth, which is not the case in Richmond. Both great choices though - you can't go wrong!

Old 12-10-2017, 04:04 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,209,948 times
I don't know if state income taxes matter in your decision, but NC implemented a flat tax of 5.499%. This was done in 2013. You can find info online about this change.

Virginia still had graduated rates that range from 3% to 5.75%. The top rate is reached at $17,000.

But the different groups that list states by tax burden usually have NC as having a lower overall tax rate than Virginia. I realize taxes at the state level are complicated. Virginia imposes personal property tax on cars, trucks, boats & trailers. Most Virginians dislike this tax --- including me. The rate varies by county/city/town.

I like both areas though I've spent more time in Richmond. I've never lived in either place, but have visited. Good luck in your decision.

Old 12-10-2017, 07:22 AM

5 posts, read 9,123 times
With all due respect, you should stay where you are. Richmond has become infested with retirees from northern cities who end up banding together to turn Richmond into the kind of hellhole they fled.

Old 12-10-2017, 03:32 PM

485 posts, read 687,776 times
That wasn't very nice.

Anyhow - may want to check the new Halsley Development in Chesterfield. I believe they have some good sized lots.

Old 12-10-2017, 09:16 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,769,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Roberts View Post
With all due respect, you should stay where you are. Richmond has become infested with retirees from northern cities who end up banding together to turn Richmond into the kind of hellhole they fled.
this is nonsense of course

Old 12-10-2017, 10:56 PM

193 posts, read 203,359 times
When in Richmond, be sure to check out Windsor Farms (noted above)--a planned residential community designed in 1926 to look like an English village. The community features large lots on curving streets with names like Sulgrave Road, Oxford Circle and Nottingham Road. Windsor Farms is noted for a couple of Tudor manor houses (Agecroft Hall and Virginia House) dating from the 15th and 16th centuries that were moved from England and reconstructed in Richmond. Each has magnificent formal gardens that look out over the James River. In addition there are two grand 18th Century Georgian plantation houses (Wilton and Ampthill) that were moved to Windsor Farms from sites east of the city. Some of these homes and gardens are open to he public.

Windsor Farms is located on Cary Street Road just east of the Country Club of Virginia and just west of the Carytown shopping district. Windsor Farms is absolutely beautiful--one of many unique attractions that make Richmond so special. I would choose Richmond over Raleigh in a heartbeat.

Old 12-12-2017, 12:45 PM

731 posts, read 933,428 times
My husband and I looked at both cities for moving from the west coast. We thought we'd like Raleigh more, but both immediately preferred Richmond.

NY Guy (post above) is spot on with our experience. Richmond offers a more urban city experience. Because Raleigh has been booming from tech jobs, we found higher prices and more traffic, which was a turn off for us (been there, done that). Both are nice areas, though, and it depends on what you want to get out of your living experience.

We also felt that Richmond is better located for driving to other cities, mountains, and ocean. It would also be closer to Philly if that matters to you.

I find the 1 acre request and the walkable area to be at odds with each other, but I don't know the area well enough to comment on that. I would say that the city is walkable and parts of Short Pump, so maybe try to find your home as close to one of those as possible.

Old 12-29-2017, 10:31 AM

187 posts, read 225,880 times
I investigated Raleigh - extensively!!! I fell in love with it. The water pollution from Duke Energy and the correlating cancer clusters is what deterred me from Raleigh. As great as a city I think it is, it's not worth it. Research communities that were told not to drink their water, not to even boil it then drink.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:24 PM

457 posts, read 692,612 times
You should check out Raleigh. Will better suit your needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
View detailed profiles of: