Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2018, 06:33 PM

2 posts, read 2,684 times

Advertisements

Myself and my Fiancé are considering relocating from Fairfax VA to the Richmond suburbs. We have looked at a couple areas and have located a neighborhood called Patriots landing in Quinton Va. The are seemed kind of rural, but 15-20 minutes to the city, and local shops and restaurants. We don't want to be south of the city due to my commute to NOVA. Is anyone familiar with the Quinton area? Would Midlothian be a better area to look for a young couple?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 08:16 PM

132 posts, read 190,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blachatch View Post
Myself and my Fiancé are considering relocating from Fairfax VA to the Richmond suburbs. We have looked at a couple areas and have located a neighborhood called Patriots landing in Quinton Va. The are seemed kind of rural, but 15-20 minutes to the city, and local shops and restaurants. We don't want to be south of the city due to my commute to NOVA. Is anyone familiar with the Quinton area? Would Midlothian be a better area to look for a young couple?

Thanks
I had to look it up on a map - that seems really far. I guess it's technically in the Richmond metro area, but you probably wouldn't be coming into Richmond very frequently, which might be fine for what you're seeking.
I wouldn't say it's 15-20 minutes. It's really more like a solid 20 minutes without traffic to even the easternmost parts of the city (you can use sub rosa bakery as a gauge on google maps), and it's 25-30 to more of the cultural stuff (e.g., museums, say the VMFA) and 35-40 minutes to the big shopping malls in the west end (Short Pump Town Center). That probably sounds like it isn't too bad coming from NOVA, but Richmond has a way of changing the way you think about commuting times.

If you're looking for rural, though, that might be a nice area for you. Anecdotally, though, I know people who live in most of the suburbs around here and I don't think I've ever heard of anyone living out there and commuting to Richmond city with any frequency.

Old 05-16-2018, 05:38 AM

1,004 posts, read 893,619 times
I agree with ny_guy. That is a little out there. I would say 20-25min commute to downtown Richmond. Traffic can slow down on the Shockoe Valley bridge coming from the eastern part of the metro and turn that 25min into 50. Did you say you would be commuting to NOVA? Which part? That neighborhood does put you close to 295 so you can avoid DT Richmond but I would check out the communities a little bit more North and West of that area for a commute to NOVA. Ashland, Atlee, Mechanicsville and maybe a little bit of Northern Glen Allen could do the trick. If you don't have to commute to NOVA then Midlothian can definitely do the trick. It will still be about 20min out from DT Richmond but Midlothian has enough shopping and grocery options on its own. It is also not too far from Short Pump via 288.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:43 AM

2 posts, read 2,684 times
Well we really aren't looking for rural but this neighborhood fits the bill for what we are looking for as far as price wise and amenities such as pool, and some homes sit on a lake. We are young and would like to be close to breweries and such. Im in public safety so i don't work 5 days a week so the commute isn't a huge concern but want to be close to the interstate.

Old 05-19-2018, 08:34 AM

19,104 posts, read 16,908,432 times
The community although nice is somewhat removed from shopping options and does add a lot to your NOVA commute. Have you considered the Ashland area, plenty of new communities to select from, shopping in town and plenty within 15 minutes. Richmond proper is 20 min south plus you will be better staged for the commute.

Best of luck

Old 05-19-2018, 10:02 AM

485 posts, read 685,736 times
yea I would think Ashland/Mechanicsville/Glen Allen would be more likely choices.

Old 06-24-2018, 06:04 PM

5 posts, read 9,243 times
New Kent/ Quinton is WAY out there. It is between Richmond and Williamsburg, so it would add to your commute time to NOVA. I know a few older people, from NJ, who were looking for a place to retire to,around Richmond. All I can say is the marketing for Patriots Landing is fantastic, as it comes up, in a Richmond neighborhood search. But people I know that are from New Kent, would never ina millions years say they live in Richmond. But it is a nice, planned neighborhood, surrounded by pretty much nothing. So you'd need to go into Mechanicsville as a close place to go to restaurants...or travel to Richmond or travel to Williamsburg. On the otherhand, the older couples I know that live there LOVE IT. It is a very active community. All ages...and everyone tries hard to know each other and stay busy with Bunko, plays, the pool, wine groups, book groups, and its for young and old. But its NOT Metro Richmond. Good luck

Old 06-25-2018, 06:19 AM

75 posts, read 78,116 times
We visited the area for retirement possibilities. Nice neighborhood but really limited to shopping, medical, restaurants etc. It was not for us.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,023 times
I'm considering that area also looking at Patriots landing (new construction) and Brickshire, the community seems nice you can get more house for your money but not that much land. if you are into Vineyards and golf they have a few of those and a food lion. They just reopened colonial downs( not sure what that will mean). The commute to downtown Richmond is about 25 mins and 12 mins to Mechanicsville / white oaks mall where there is food and shopping. it's about 30 mins to the west end of Henrico.
It's also 35 mins to Williamsburg and 30 min to Yorktown. The communities I've looked into are rather nice, there isn't a lot of infor on New Kent except for it's far out there. I get it it's more than 15 mins from everything.. I've been in Richmond for over 10 years and I've lived in the Far West end by Short pump before and after the overhaul Shortpump is blah blah blah new money , congested and over priced etc.. it depends on what you are looking for I also looked at new construction in Chester but I got a better feeling in New Kent and I saw a confederate flag in one of the new neighborhood being built. looking for a peaceful atmosphere without the "redneck" attitude. School isn't an issue for us but the New Kent schools are a 5 out of 10 I believe not great but not horrible. . I also I looked into Glen Allen where I live now it's nice but a lot of cookie cutter houses as my realtor said once you seen one you've just about seen it all. I also lived in chesterfield when I 1st more her from NY...That's about what I know.
I'm also trying to gather more info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond