U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2008, 11:59 AM

6,177 posts, read 9,402,886 times

Advertisements

I reside in Baltimore but work in NOVA. One of the reasons why I chose B'more of NOVA was because it was more affordable for me (at that time in the housing market versus now) and because of the direct access via Amtrak and MARC trains to and from Washington and Baltimore. At one time I toyed with the idea of locating in Richmond or Henrico County but the only alternative to driving was to drive to Fredericksburg and catch the VRE to go NOVA. Does anyone know why the VRE does not go all the way to Richmond? Are there any plans for it to do so? In talking with people living in NOVA, it appears that CSX, who owns the tracks between here and there, is the problem but I would be surprised if the Commonwealth, the Feds, and the communities along this route got together that service between the two communities could improve and the related infrastructure could be improve/expanded. I imagine its only a matter of time before Richmond becomes part of the DC-Baltimore Megalopolis, which I imagine would be good for the City....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 12:27 PM

1,802 posts, read 5,654,990 times
There would be pros and cons to it... it would be bad if Richmond merely became a bedroom community of DC because of its relative low cost of living... business costs are also much cheaper so perhaps it would spur additional jobs/commercial development. VRE only goes to Fredericksburg. However, GRTC recently started offering daily trips (96 line) to the Fredericksburg VRE station from Richmond via bus (really more of a touring coach than a city bus). It's a $6 round trip ride... and you don't have to drive!

Eventually, a high-speed rail connection (faster than VRE) could link Richmond and DC. However, CSX needs to make upgrades at its ACCA yard in Richmond as well as at other points along the route. In an ideal world, a 3rd track would be laid along the existing rail right of way. What it really comes down to for that is funding... which won't be coming from CSX...

Old 03-28-2008, 05:03 PM

3,451 posts, read 8,150,992 times
For a corridor the length of Washington-Richmond (a little more than 100 miles), I think expanded Amtrak service rather than expanded VRE service makes more sense. The sta...I mean Commonwealth of Virginia () would need to pony up some funds to make it happen (something a number of other states - California, Pennsylvania, Illinois to name 3 prominent ones - are already doing with Amtrak service) and both Virginia and Amtrak would need to work with CSX to what kind of schedules would be doable without capacity expansions.

FWIW, I'd really like to see expanded service to Richmond Main Street Station. Now that I'm in the DC area (and came from a place, Harrisburg, in the exact opposite direction from DC relative to Richmond, i.e. I pretty much never went to Richmond because it was too far away), I have definite interest in making occasional day trips to Richmond. Main Street Station is the only intercity public transportation facility in Richmond that to my knowledge is located in/near downtown Richmond (unlike Staples Mill Road station and the Greyhound station).

Old 04-05-2008, 01:16 PM

2,031 posts, read 6,138,691 times
Default VRE Anyone?

More rail service is sorely needed from Richmond to DC, Winchester to DC and yes, downstate to Richmond & DC!! There was a rail plan called "Trans Dominion Express" which would connect Bristol/Roanoke/Richmond/DC.
While transportation issues continue to halt any action on these vital matters, nothing is seen or done. I live in Roanoke, where I-81 is now considered the worst interstate highway in America! They have talked about changes to this road but nothing ever happens! Virginias' highways, bridges and infrastructure are now crumbling and past the point of repair without massive outlays of state/federal money. I think the endless war in Iraq and the Springfield interchange in DC area really depleted the budget. Whats Next? Its getting scary out here!!

Old 04-08-2008, 02:38 PM

Default Richmond's Main Street Station

I see pros and cons (though more pros) to having the VRE run all the way into downtown Richmond. Having Richmond connected with DC whether its Amtrak's Highspeed Rail or VRE service would (I imagine) help the economy of the City by possibly bringing in new residents to dowtown/intown communities, which may generate more activity is some of the areas that there is little or no development. The downside is that housing prices may rise, but Richmond should be large enough to offer a variety of housing for various price ranges. Baltimore has benefited some from this same connectivity with DC and Richmond reminds me of the Charm City, for the better and the worst. The City not only captures the property taxes from new and rehabbed homes, but it gets income taxes as well (not sure if Richmond has local income taxes like Maryland) Virgina should be interested in this concept because NOVA is getting way congested and expensive. Improving transit down to Richmond and points in between could reduce sprawl and the congestion on I-95 since everyone will not have to live above Quantico in order to be in reasonable striking distance of NOVA and DC

Old 04-09-2008, 07:20 AM

2 posts, read 12,935 times
I was on a visit to Richmond a few months ago and stopped by the old main street station. I was shocked that there wasn't a high speed train or even a regularly scheduled commuter train from Richmond to DC.

This is a no-brainier, it makes much more sense then metro to Dulles, and it would probably be a lot cheaper and profitable within a few years. Hell, I'd invest in it where can I buy stock?

Also I checked out the "Trans Dominion Express" website. They are not proposing a Richmond-DC link. That is absurd, the plan must have been put forth by the Bristol City Rotary club.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:41 AM

Default Richmond may have gotten railroaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMcl View Post
I was on a visit to Richmond a few months ago and stopped by the old main street station. I was shocked that there wasn't a high speed train or even a regularly scheduled commuter train from Richmond to DC.

This is a no-brainier, it makes much more sense then metro to Dulles, and it would probably be a lot cheaper and profitable within a few years. Hell, I'd invest in it where can I buy stock?

Also I checked out the "Trans Dominion Express" website. They are not proposing a Richmond-DC link. That is absurd, the plan must have been put forth by the Bristol City Rotary club.
I do live in Virginia,but it is a shame that a Richmond to DC link was not provided. The Advisory Committee is composed mainly of communities along the line with the exception of Richmond.. which though it is a stop, is probably the largest VA city next to Alexandria on the line. There may be other issues why this occurred and others more familiar may chime in and shed more light on the issue.. The only thing that I can think of if that Richmond is part of the Amtrak Highspeed corridor plan which proposed to make Highspeed Rail from DC to Richmond where it will fork with one line continuing south the Florida and the other going through Charlotte and the Carolinas down to Atlanta. It would seem however that the DC to Richmond segment would be a PRIORITY given the levels of congestion in this area. Many regional trains operate via Richmond (Staples Mill Rd Station) coming up from Norfolk, but they are not really designed for commuting more so for business travelers and they are definately not highspeed.. given the ownership/priority of the tracks by CSX

Old 01-31-2011, 01:50 PM

139 posts, read 195,944 times
I love the fact that my two favorite metro areas are thinking of connecting to each other!

Richmond/Hampton Roads Passenger Rail Study
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or