Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2018, 07:15 AM

2 posts, read 1,557 times

Advertisements

I am looking to buy a home in the Highland Park area of Richmond. I live in northern VA now and have visited Richmond in the past. As such, I have a general knowledge of the more popular areas of the city, such as the FAN, Museum District, etc. I'm aware that crime is a problem in Highland Park, but have heard that there is an increasing interest in the area by home buyers. I suppose my primary concerns are cost and possibility of getting in to an area early before it starts drawing more interest. I've been specifically looking at places in and around Arnold Avenue. Could someone provide insight into the area as far as crime and possibility for home appreciation? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2018, 07:32 AM

485 posts, read 689,703 times
I personally don't see that as an area that is up and coming and may get hot. Not a fan of area myself. I would think if your looking for lower cost north of 64/95 I would try and be closer to Hermitage Road (up to Azalea/Bryan Park area) rather than toward 360/Mechanicsville Turnpike area.

With the Diamond area redevelopment bound to happen in next 5 years. I would think that area (along with its prime transportation options) would be the hotter area of the future.

Old 10-01-2018, 06:31 AM

1,022 posts, read 910,624 times
I agree with cbl1. If you are dead set on the Northern part of Richmond I would check out Bellevue, Battery Park, and Ginter Park Terrace. I actually really like the Battery Park neighborhood. There is some work happening in Highland Park but it is more scattered and I think that there are maybe 3 or 4 neighborhoods that will gentrify before Highland Park does.

Old 10-03-2018, 02:58 AM

2 posts, read 1,557 times
Thanks to you both for the feedback. I'll check out the areas you suggested.

Old 10-03-2018, 04:02 PM

10 posts, read 10,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thutch1 View Post
I am looking to buy a home in the Highland Park area of Richmond. I live in northern VA now and have visited Richmond in the past. As such, I have a general knowledge of the more popular areas of the city, such as the FAN, Museum District, etc. I'm aware that crime is a problem in Highland Park, but have heard that there is an increasing interest in the area by home buyers. I suppose my primary concerns are cost and possibility of getting in to an area early before it starts drawing more interest. I've been specifically looking at places in and around Arnold Avenue. Could someone provide insight into the area as far as crime and possibility for home appreciation? Thanks in advance.
If your primary concern is low cost and getting in before gentrification then I would absolutely look in Highland Park. I moved to Battery Park from NOVA/DC 3.5 years ago and basically everyone I talked to said to stay away from Northside because of crime. This is mostly an unfounded fear if you lock your doors, use common sense and are not yourself in a gang or involved in dealing drugs. Your likelihood of being a victim of crime is about the same as living in most parts of DC. I felt as threatened walking around Logan Circle back in 2010 as I do now in Northside, which is to say, not very.

This neighborhood (and highland park, more or less) is mostly quiet streets with single family homes. Unless you move next door to a drug house (and I would ask neighbors about that before buying) or an apartment building, Northside is quiet. The main thoroughfares are rough and won't change much in the immediate future, but aren't really dangerous during hours you might be walking up there.

If you can find a deal in Barton Heights/Battery Park/etc I would go for it, but those are few and far between now. No houses had sold for over $300k when we were looking in 2015, and now there are houses going for $450k. Don't bother with Bellvue if you're trying to "get in early," there's more long term potential across Chamberlayne. The houses are generally bigger on the Barton Heights side, just more run down. As this Battery Park area becomes more unaffordable, things will push east.

I can't speak to Arnold Ave, but I think that area across Meadowbridge from there around Ann Hardy park will be a good buy going into the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond