Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 08:10 AM

17 posts, read 17,054 times

Advertisements

We are headed to Richmond next week to check out schools and look at homes. We are visiting family, but also taking a hard look at whether or not we would want to move there. We are coming from California - which is awesome in many ways - except affordability and general space. Would love to hear some experiences of those who have moved to VA from CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2018, 08:53 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
I lived in California for a time, what part are you coming from? I was in San Diego

Old 08-11-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I lived in California for a time, what part are you coming from? I was in San Diego
We are from the Bay Area, so Northern CA. On the peninsula - San Mateo. San Diego is lovely, but different than the Bay Area. We are not a beach town, though 30 minutes away from the beach. We are looking to be close to family, good public school options, and affordable homes. We have grown out of our house here - and though the value has doubled since we purchased in 2008, we can’t do much with it out here.

Old 08-12-2018, 04:25 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
For those that have always lived left coast you will probably sense a different feel not just to Richmond but the right coast in general. Both coasts are different and the east coast runs more traditional/conservative then the west. Seeing where your coming from you should be able to afford a 4 bedroom house for what a 1 car garage goes for in SF.

If schools will be an issue most looks towards the suburban counties because there is a lot of issues with the Richmond City Schools . Many posters reference 2 elementary (sometimes 3) school that do well or the open enrollment lottery that if selected you get to transport your child to the ES. That's great if you live in that zone or are selected and free to transport your child but if your not selected or living in that zone the regular options are dismal, these same posters usually elude to going the private route for secondary schools. Your choice but the suburban communities have lower taxes and allow you to use the schools their zoned into.

You don't mention where your family is located but most areas above/below the river are about 30 minutes apart at the most, traffic is nothing compared to the Bay Area and you should be able to have a QOL instead of existing, good luck !

Old 08-13-2018, 07:06 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,681,950 times
I don’t think conservative is the correct word. Maybe reserved. The East isn’t as touchy-feely
and not as free-spirited, but it isn’t more conservative than the West (Maryland is the most liberal state, Vermont has the highest percentage of atheists). Inland Oregon and California are amung the most conservative places in the country. Both coasts are more complicated than they get credit for and at the end of the day, everywhere in the United States is more similar than it is different.

Old 08-26-2018, 07:10 AM

1,514 posts, read 2,775,375 times
lots of people from Cali in RVA. You'll be more comfortable in the city than in the surrounding burbs I'd guess.

Old 08-26-2018, 05:45 PM

731 posts, read 935,167 times
My family moved out here from Seattle. We really like it here, but we did years of research (and visited 3 times) and did not show up naive to the differences. Fortunately, some of the differences were things we were really craving (more land, less traffic, more peace and quiet). You really can't come out hoping for a cheaper California. You won't get it.

The weather will be a huge change for you - I now understand humidity in a way I never could have before. Many of your neighbors will be religious, but for us it's never been in your face. The traffic is a ginormous improvement, thereby encouraging us to be out checking out new sights and activities. Personally, I just find it an easier place to be, especially with kids. We also found the schools to be outstanding in the area we live in the burbs.

There's plenty of shopping, but it's more convenient to get too. If you find you're really missing traffic and action, D.C. is only a couple hours away. We enjoy going out to Charlottesville and Williamsburg.

Bottom line, you need to decide what you are after and what you are willing to settle for. We like it a lot, but there's no place quite like California :-).

Old 08-26-2018, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustinginSeattle View Post
My family moved out here from Seattle. We really like it here, but we did years of research (and visited 3 times) and did not show up naive to the differences. Fortunately, some of the differences were things we were really craving (more land, less traffic, more peace and quiet). You really can't come out hoping for a cheaper California. You won't get it.

The weather will be a huge change for you - I now understand humidity in a way I never could have before. Many of your neighbors will be religious, but for us it's never been in your face. The traffic is a ginormous improvement, thereby encouraging us to be out checking out new sights and activities. Personally, I just find it an easier place to be, especially with kids. We also found the schools to be outstanding in the area we live in the burbs.

There's plenty of shopping, but it's more convenient to get too. If you find you're really missing traffic and action, D.C. is only a couple hours away. We enjoy going out to Charlottesville and Williamsburg.

Bottom line, you need to decide what you are after and what you are willing to settle for. We like it a lot, but there's no place quite like California :-).
Thanks for this reply. Although I’m a native CA, I’ve married into a family in VA and have been traveling/visiting over the last 11 years for summers and holidays. Indeed we are looking for a LOT less traffic, more peace and quiet. Also, more neighborhood, more kid space. We live in a great city in CA, but it’s crowded, our street is busy (kids can’t really play outside) and neighbors are nice, but too busy to be engaged and actual friends. We just want more. For us, and for our kids. When I visit, I like the humidity - but I see how it might get old. While we were there, it was very humid, but then the humidity broke for a few days and it was in the 80’s and people were saying it was “like fall”. I thought that was kind of funny. It was like a beautiful summer day in CA (in my part anyway). We met with real estate agent and looked at houses in Chesterfield. We really, really liked that area. A little nervous about schools. As a 2-mom family, we want our kids to attend public schools, but lean toward the tolerance of private schools. What schools do your kids attend? We were looking at schools in the Robious district. Specifically Robious elementary & middle.

Old 08-27-2018, 07:16 AM

731 posts, read 935,167 times
Well, it sounds like your reasons are very similar to ours. I also wanted warmer weather and boy did I get it! I like humidity at about 75 degrees and below (love feeling warm in the morning and at night), but I will say that the summer humidity in the 80's and 90's keeps us inside a lot - or at the pool, which has been amazing for my kids (there's like 1 outdoor pool in Seattle). I don't mind being out and about in the heat, but it sure sucks for doing any kind of yard work.

I really feel like Virginia is an amazing place that (thankfully) flies under the radar. We also live in Chesterfield. My kids are attending Midlothian Middle. My neighborhood in Seattle had great schools, but I have been very impressed with the schools out here (we've been here 1 year). My kids seemed a little ahead in math, but had to play catch up in most other subjects. They also seem to be less crowded and more under control than we were used to. I would say that my oldest had her best year of school ever (first year of middle school, knowing no one!) and her anxiety was greatly reduced. My youngest was finally pushed in school and stepped up. Both did a great job of making friends. I will say, however, that the kids at the schools seem to be used to being around kids that are just like them and don't seem used to a lot of "difference", but I'm only basing that on some comments my kids have said. That doesn't mean they can't adapt and don't need to be exposed to more than they're used to, however. :-) In Seattle I feel like kids were adapted to so many differences in people, but we experienced way more bad behavior and bullying in schools there than out here.

It is definitely a family oriented area, which feels really nice when you're in the middle of raising your kids. It's also a growing area, with people from all over moving in. We've never felt like we were excluded from anything because we aren't from here. Our neighborhood is very friendly, but not busy bodied in anyway. I'm also so impressed with how nice people are around here. I think Henrico has a lot more diversity and is a lot more liberal, but we decided that we wanted more of the quiet and calm that Chesterfield offers and we haven't regretted it at all.

Old 10-05-2018, 02:07 PM

[quote=RustinginSeattle;52920456 [B]I would say that my oldest had her best year of school ever (first year of middle school, knowing no one!) and her anxiety was greatly reduced. My youngest was finally pushed in school and stepped up. Both did a great job of making friends. I will say, however, that the kids at the schools seem to be used to being around kids that are just like them and don't seem used to a lot of "difference", but I'm only basing that on some comments my kids have said. That doesn't mean they can't adapt and don't need to be exposed to more than they're used to, however. :-) In Seattle I feel like kids were adapted to so many differences in people, but we experienced way more bad behavior and bullying in schools there than out here[/b].

Hey RustinginSeattle - I have a question for you regarding your move with an incoming 6th grader. A few posters have mentioned that the middle schools run on two tracts - the regular program and the gifted program and have alluded to one being great and the other being mediocre. I’m curious about your opinion on this. Our incoming 6th grader will be coming from an Independent private school and is probably, by the nature of private school, a wee bit ahead. Though math is not his strong suit - he’s a very determined kid who works very hard. I don’t want to lose that and have concerns about public school and being around kids who want to be there, who try hard like him. So, gifted? No. But he makes up for it in aptitude and attitude.

Needless to say, I can’t seem to get any information on what the schools do for kids arriving in June/July of the new year. I see that we will miss any testing opp. To get into the gifted program, but is there still opportunity?

We are honing in on some areas/neighborhoods - Westam (Tuckahoe schools), a few neighborhoods in the Midlo school area, and robious area. I have appreciated your feedback and northwestern opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond