U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 11:56 AM

15 posts, read 17,348 times

Advertisements

Howdy folks-

My wife and I moved from the fan to neighborhood in the near west end close to University of Richmond (Tuckahoe area) last year. We have 2 year old daughter as well.

It seemed like a friendly street. Folks kept their yards up, no clutter etc. We have however, become basically ostracized from the lots of families around us. Many are the same age (Mid 30's) with similar aged children.

We are a little confused as to why, but we had some of the neighbors over for a cookout this summer, I met several of these families through friends of friends. We were having a few beers and the conversation turned political. My wife and I are lean pretty left. The issue of legalization of marijuana came up to which I voiced my stance that it should be legalized, blah, blah, blah. Time went on and I didn't think much about it. Until we recently noticed we haven't been included in a single neighborhood party, event, gathering or anything. In fact the two guys I had the conversation with barely even speak or wave when they pass us.

I guess my question is, is this normal behavior for this area? I mean I didn't know the area was a beacon for social conservatism, especially among 30 somethings. It's to the point where we're looking to move to another area because we don't want to raise our daughter around these kind of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 02:28 PM

119 posts, read 100,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by althea78 View Post
Howdy folks-

My wife and I moved from the fan to neighborhood in the near west end close to University of Richmond (Tuckahoe area) last year. We have 2 year old daughter as well.

It seemed like a friendly street. Folks kept their yards up, no clutter etc. We have however, become basically ostracized from the lots of families around us. Many are the same age (Mid 30's) with similar aged children.

We are a little confused as to why, but we had some of the neighbors over for a cookout this summer, I met several of these families through friends of friends. We were having a few beers and the conversation turned political. My wife and I are lean pretty left. The issue of legalization of marijuana came up to which I voiced my stance that it should be legalized, blah, blah, blah. Time went on and I didn't think much about it. Until we recently noticed we haven't been included in a single neighborhood party, event, gathering or anything. In fact the two guys I had the conversation with barely even speak or wave when they pass us.

I guess my question is, is this normal behavior for this area? I mean I didn't know the area was a beacon for social conservatism, especially among 30 somethings. It's to the point where we're looking to move to another area because we don't want to raise our daughter around these kind of people.
For what the anecdote is worth, I have friends who live in your area and sound similar demographically, who are also left-leaning (and aren't shy about it - co-sponsoring fundraisers, etc), and they seem to have a number of friends in the neighborhood. Sorry, not sure what is going on with your neighbors - that does sound like a tough situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or