Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2019, 08:42 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,709,211 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

Heading to Richmond for the first time early next month and seeking some input on what to see and do while I'm there for two nights. I'll be driving in from Baltimore and will be staying about 12 mins from downtown, according to Google maps.

After doing some quick research, I plan on checking out the Fan District, Carytown, VA Museum of Fine Arts, Maymont and the City Hall Observation Deck. Am I on the right track here?

Any recommendations on places to eat would be great. Because I'm travelling solo, I'm more interested in casual dining places in the more interesting neighborhoods.

After Richmond, I'll be stopping in Williamsburg before ending my mini road trip in Norfolk/VA Beach. Flying back to San Diego from there. And speaking of Williamsburg, besides the historical park, is there anything I shouldn't miss?

I look forward to your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 05:41 AM

1,005 posts, read 894,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Hey all,

Heading to Richmond for the first time early next month and seeking some input on what to see and do while I'm there for two nights. I'll be driving in from Baltimore and will be staying about 12 mins from downtown, according to Google maps.

After doing some quick research, I plan on checking out the Fan District, Carytown, VA Museum of Fine Arts, Maymont and the City Hall Observation Deck. Am I on the right track here?

Any recommendations on places to eat would be great. Because I'm travelling solo, I'm more interested in casual dining places in the more interesting neighborhoods.

After Richmond, I'll be stopping in Williamsburg before ending my mini road trip in Norfolk/VA Beach. Flying back to San Diego from there. And speaking of Williamsburg, besides the historical park, is there anything I shouldn't miss?

For Richmond, check out Byrd Park, The Maggie L. Walker House, Henry Box Brown Exhibit, VA Museum of Fine Art, Edgar Allen Poe Museum, Jefferson Park(one of the best views of the city), Boulevard, Museum District, Shockoe Bottom, Church Hill, Jackson Ward, Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens, Governor's Mansion, the Canal Walk, Main street Train station, The Valentine, any restaurant in Cary Town, etc. For Williamsburg check out York Town beach, Jamestown, Rockefeller Folk Art Museum, Governor's Palace, Busch Gardens/Water Country, The Historic Powhatan Resort, etc.

Last edited by mpier015; 04-23-2019 at 06:27 AM..

Old 04-23-2019, 10:28 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,669,022 times
I second the Yorktown recommendation. You can just drive through on your way to Norfolk. The Colonial Parkway (a National Park) connects the two abs it’s a beautiful drive (can easily access I-64 from route 17 in Yorktown).

Your Richmond list is a great starter and will probably take up the two days. I’d recommend a trip to Brown’s and Belle Islands. They are right downtown so it takes zero effort to get to them. The river is super cool and if it doesn’t rain (a bunch) before your trip, the water should be pretty with people out in kayaks, sunbathing. There are two pedestrian bridges across the river. Both are very popular. I’d take a look at the Capitol too. It’s a really attractive building in the middle of downtown (a block from City Hall).

Restaurants are abundant in the Fan and Carytown. When you start to get hungry just take a walk (or ride) up Main Street or Cary Street in the Fan, you’ll have lots of options.

Old 04-23-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
I second the Yorktown recommendation. You can just drive through on your way to Norfolk. The Colonial Parkway (a National Park) connects the two abs it’s a beautiful drive (can easily access I-64 from route 17 in Yorktown).

Your Richmond list is a great starter and will probably take up the two days. I’d recommend a trip to Brown’s and Belle Islands. They are right downtown so it takes zero effort to get to them. The river is super cool and if it doesn’t rain (a bunch) before your trip, the water should be pretty with people out in kayaks, sunbathing. There are two pedestrian bridges across the river. Both are very popular. I’d take a look at the Capitol too. It’s a really attractive building in the middle of downtown (a block from City Hall).

Restaurants are abundant in the Fan and Carytown. When you start to get hungry just take a walk (or ride) up Main Street or Cary Street in the Fan, you’ll have lots of options.
Can't believe I forgot Browns Island. When I wrote out Byrd Park I was thinking Browns Island smh.

Old 04-23-2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
For Richmond, check out Byrd Park, The Maggie L. Walker House, Henry Box Brown Exhibit, VA Museum of Fine Art, Edgar Allen Poe Museum, Jefferson Park(one of the best views of the city), Boulevard, Museum District, Shockoe Bottom, Church Hill, Jackson Ward, Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens, Governor's Mansion, the Canal Walk, Main street Train station, The Valentine, any restaurant in Cary Town, etc. For Williamsburg check out York Town beach, Jamestown, Rockefeller Folk Art Museum, Governor's Palace, Busch Gardens/Water Country, The Historic Powhatan Resort, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114

Thanks for the responses. Just did some research on some of the places mentioned above and there cool things/places to check out. I'm all about the views so Jefferson Park sounds good. And I didn't realize there were pedestrian bridges that cross the river so definitely get my exercise walking around downtown. The State Capitol building is on my list.

Sounds like Carytown and the Fan are where I need to go. Any input on Sally Bell's Kitchen, Comfort, 8 1/2, Nota Bene or Early Bird Biscuit?

Old 04-24-2019, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. Just did some research on some of the places mentioned above and there cool things/places to check out. I'm all about the views so Jefferson Park sounds good. And I didn't realize there were pedestrian bridges that cross the river so definitely get my exercise walking around downtown. The State Capitol building is on my list.

Sounds like Carytown and the Fan are where I need to go. Any input on Sally Bell's Kitchen, Comfort, 8 1/2, Nota Bene or Early Bird Biscuit?
Of that list, I've only been to early bird and comfort but they are both excellent choices. I also like the Daily, Xtra's cafe, Lucy's and Heritage

Old 05-06-2019, 12:28 AM

^^^Lucy's and Heritage look pretty good. Thanks

Old 05-07-2019, 09:57 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,295,000 times
Quote:
Hey all,

Little Nickel is a great restaurant in the Forest Hill area. Can Can is nice as well in Carytown, it is casual but more expensive. I still love Galaxy Diner in Carytown. Juleps, Stella's...all good. One of my favorite places for a casual lunch is Mama J's! WPA Bakery is wonderful, as is Proper Pie and Shyndigz if you like desert.

VMFA is nice if you are into art. The Science Museum is also very cool if you are into that! Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens is also lovely, as is Maymont Park.

Hope this helps! Shannon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond