Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2008, 10:31 AM

2 posts, read 10,530 times

Advertisements

We currently live in Northern Virginia now but are planning to move back to the Richmond area within the next year. We are looking at houses now with the hope that we might be able to find a great deal in this slow market. We've narrowed our search down to a few neighborhoods in Midlothian. We tend to prefer houses in established neighborhoods over new construction. We need some help in determing what are some of the pros and cons for living in each of them (Salisbury, Roxshire, Stonehenge, Bexley). Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 11:23 AM

486 posts, read 1,948,260 times
Do you have kids? You mention 3 high school districts. They are all good established neighborhoods. Bexley and Roxshire do not have a country club, while Salisbury and Stonehenge do. Not a pro or con, just an observation.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:59 PM

418 posts, read 1,048,486 times
I think if you ranked High Schools you would put Midlo and James River ahead of Monacan (We moved here recently and home prices reflected this). Roxshire is nice but be careful of the areas near old mines - there have been some issues of collapsed yards etc. ( a narrow band of old mines but something to check for). I would add Powderham, Charter Woods to your search list and continue to check the Robious Road corridor - there are a number of lovely older established neighborhoods. The Weaver/Midlo/Midlo school pattern or Robious/Robious/James River ( and some variations on that) can't be beat.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:55 PM

11 posts, read 50,470 times
As you've probably seen, these neighborhoods are very similar as far as home styles, age, price, etc. As far as schools, they'll be pretty similar, with the possible exception of Bexley. Look on greatschools.com or schoolmatters.com to compare. We live in Roxshire and love it. We have many friends in Salisbury and Stonehenge who love them. So it might just come down to which you like better once you're here. Or maybe you'll find that great deal. There are some homes that have been on the market for a while in those neighborhoods. Good luck.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:27 AM

486 posts, read 1,948,260 times
Stonehenge and Bexley are both zoned for Monacan. EllieB is correct about the prices being lower there.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:55 PM

2 posts, read 12,089 times
We live in Salisbury and here are a few of the things that sold us on the neighborhood. Being an older, established neighborhood, we love that the houses aren't right on top of each other, like in so many new developments. We also liked the densely wooded lots (although this is a bit of a pain in fall), which give you more privacy.

Salisbury is somewhat unique in that it has a lake with a lifeguarded beach that only residents can join. Members can also fish and boat on the lake. There is a very nice playground right in the community, as well as some services at the center of the development (gas station/convenience store, dentists, MD, dry cleaner, etc...). Also, the homeowner's association publishes a community newsletter and hosts some events that are very family oriented, such as the Fall Festival.

Happy house hunting!

Old 05-02-2008, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 9,917 times
For an older (late-60s, 70s), established middle-class colonial-style neighborhood, Settlers Landing on Robious Road in Bon Air is very attractive, well-located, good schools, nearby hospital and old/new shopping malls, easy access to Downtown, West End, Airport via Powhite-Expressway-288-Chippenham Parkway. We live in North Settlers Landing, a newer add-on development (100 homes, late-80's, 90s, between colonial, traditional, transitional) where prices started in the 160s-200s in the early 90s, many now in the 270s-320s, a few over-400s. Small lake, creek, woodsy common area. Convenient Pool and community building in adjacent older Settlers Landing. Mostly walking distance to Greenfield Elementary, short drive to Robious Middle, a little further to James River High (newer, less than 10 yrs old). Smaller and less "upper middle class" than both Salisbury and Stonehenge, but our Episcopal Church is in Salisbury and I would choose that neighborhood over the others you mentioned (but I'm really not the "golf-country club" type).

Old 05-03-2008, 04:49 PM

42 posts, read 166,599 times
I lived in Salisbury and went to Midlothian High School (graduated 1995) and I have nothing but great things to say about it. My high school was first rate (academics, sports...) and so many of my friends were right there in my neighborhood. Sycamore Square has a Ukrops (the best grocery store ever!) and a quait feel to it. I have moved away so some things may have changed.
I also lived in Settler's Landing when I was elementary/middle school age and it too was wonderful. I walked to Greenfield which is a great school (my dad used to be asst. principal there and he LOVED it) and could walk with my friends to the pool too. Both are great!!

Old 05-04-2008, 09:53 AM

60 posts, read 330,136 times
Stonehenge is the oldest and most famous of the druid monuments, but I don't believe you are allowed to live there.

Salisbury has a wonderful cathedral, but is also in England.

Bexley, Kent, UK is too close to London, which is in England.

You might want to consider Roxshire, which has a Virginia website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
View detailed profiles of: