Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 06:45 PM

73 posts, read 165,184 times

Advertisements

Sorry this was/has been discussed at another lengthy thread elsewhere...
Will Richmond finally get a subway system?

My bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 07:17 AM

1,799 posts, read 6,314,745 times
More traffic congestion and people. I'm sure you can find the federal requirements for light rail funding. We'd simply be low on the queue. Richmond on a regional level continuously re-evaluates its ability to support this kind of infrastructure.
Richmond Regional Planning District Commission / Richmond Area Metropolitan Planning Organization

Old 01-30-2011, 07:38 AM

139 posts, read 239,348 times
When are we getting this kind of transit? Doesn't the mayor realize that economic development and many other benefits would come out of building it? I'm kinda surprised that this is happening in Norfolk, though. I didn't think HR would really be a place for this huge of a project. But if it did, which it is, I'd think it would go to Va. Beach more than Norfolk. Va. Beach has like 2 times as much people than N-folk, and one on the oceanfront would truly make people happy. See, I know these things. Richmond deserves one of these kind of transit, but for now, we are stuck with this......but it's better than nothing, right?

Broad Street Transit Improvements Study

Old 02-01-2011, 08:51 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,682,365 times
You can hop a buss in Church Hill and take it to VCU for a game. What's the difference? Public transportation traveling along Broad Street is all the same, regardless of the form. Only increased use of existing public transportation will lead to light rail in the future. Cities build stuff when a demand is present. I personally don't want Richmond to spend the money on LR because it looks cool, because I suspect that it wont get used. There are better ways to improve Richmond without creating redundancies in services.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:15 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,078,565 times
A key problem with any kind of rail/light rail is there is no central Buisness Core. Where should rail go to? Obviously the surrounding counties are where the bulk of the people are, where do they need to get to that it would be feasable?

When you look at Norfolk the inital goal is to get to a downtown location that allows them to walk to most offices, where is that in Richmond?

Old 02-01-2011, 11:17 AM

2,032 posts, read 6,888,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedprotoplasm View Post
Reviving an older post...

Tide Light Rail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
HRT's "The Tide"

Reportedly it is 97.6% complete.

Someone mentioned that the biggest obstacle is obtaining federal and state transportation funding because Richmond can't undertake the cost on its own. How is it possible for Hampton Roads to do exactly what Richmond could have done (Funding local:$53.7 mil, state $67.1 mil,federal $167.2 million)?

More traffic,more people, stronger political clout, denser population, geographical issues (in HR) or is it the lack of vision at 'winning the future' (in Richmond MSA)?
It doesn't hurt that Norfolk Southern has its corporate headquarters in downtown Norfolk! NS gives out a lot of money to Norfolk from what I understand.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:30 PM

well, altria, that other company across from altria, dominion, the fed, seigel center, short pump, vcu, capital square, and much more are off either side of broad st. So, broad is definetely a nominee for public transit. i just think that its better done than said. thats just my 50 cents, or whatever the saying is

Old 02-02-2011, 10:40 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,869,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
A key problem with any kind of rail/light rail is there is no central Buisness Core. Where should rail go to? Obviously the surrounding counties are where the bulk of the people are, where do they need to get to that it would be feasable?

When you look at Norfolk the inital goal is to get to a downtown location that allows them to walk to most offices, where is that in Richmond?
Good point. I would love to walk to work downtown (or take light rail), but most businesses in the area are located out in sprawl-ville. Unfortunately, most people in Richmond prefer living in soul-less Short Pump, which consistently diverts the population (and location of jobs) into a decentralized form, making the transit situation even less manageble.

It's nearly impossible to live in Richmond without at least one car, and because traffic congestion is too low in Richmond, in comparison to other US cities, it will likely be another 20 years before any ground-breaking will happen. This is precisely why my wife and I are leaving. We like Richmond's core, but the area has become so spread-out, and change in the city is soooooo sloooooowwwwww that I can't wait 20 years of my life to live a lifestyle I want to lead. I wish Richmond the best of luck!

Old 02-02-2011, 04:04 PM

I'm gagging with happiness right now..

Chesterfield officials discuss possibility of light-rail system | Richmond Times-Dispatch (http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2011/feb/02/TDMET01-chesterfield-officials-discuss-possibility-ar-814289/ - broken link)

Old 10-07-2011, 06:32 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,447,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaotic View Post
Does anyone else feel like Richmond is droping the ball? Why are other areas of the state more advanced, doing more preparation for the futrue than the state capital? All the arguing between executive and legislative is taking a toll on the city and no steps are being taken toward to progression.

Wouldnt it be great to hop on light rail, say in Chuch hill and ride it,to take in a VCU basketball game. I mean a simple line running along Broad St. would do economic wonders for the city.

When is Richmond gonna get on board with the 21st century?

I'm an implant on a job relocation for a 3 year assignment (2 years left). So I really dont know alot about the culture here. Maybe this is how the life long city residents want the city to remain.

I just think Richmond could be much more, than what it is.

Link:Norfolk light rail gets $18.9 million boost - News - inRich.com (http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-content-articles-RTD-2008-04-21-0210.html - broken link)
There is an Amtrak connecting Richmond to the rest of the state. Personally I would like to see a system similar to what they have in New Jersey in Virginia; just connect the entire state and be done with it. The only rural areas left in Virginia is the Southwest; it needs to be done. You should not need a car to get around this State; it is not that big and we should be able to connect it all by rail.

Richmond is a denser metro than Hampton Roads so it may not cost as much. To be fair I think Richmond could actually support heavy rail. That would be pretty cool. Doesn't Richmond have a better downtown area than most cities in Hampton Roads anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond