U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 05:09 AM

2,179 posts, read 4,676,118 times
chesterfield and hanover didnt plan or expect the massive growth that has happened there ,while henrico back in them 60's was a strictly bedroom/ farming county. the leaders contemplated the expected growth due to being the county that surrounds richmond . when a new business was built the county required that the two lane road was widend in front of their business with another lane , so in some places you have three lanes then back to two, but this saves the tax payers money and the county is ready to handle the traffic as urban sprawl develops.
new kent county is just east of henrico and is gettin alot of new houses springing up. all in all if you want a country surroundings close to richmond with little traffic you will have to go to east henrico or new kent.
the henrico schools are very good and we are getting a new middle school built out here with all of the housing going up the new schools are a must .
east henrico has one high school "varina high" but im sure that a new one is up and comming soon. my grand kids went to henrico schools and since have moved to caroiline county and my daughter is very upset with the caroline county schools. go to removed and you can get a ariel photo of homes and their prices. hope this helps.

Last edited by Marka; 05-22-2006 at 09:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2006, 07:10 AM

4 posts, read 22,400 times
ive lived in richmond for six years theres gangs theres police men over in richmond everynight theres drug busts fights killings more than their should i advise you to move to chesterfield much better

Old 05-25-2006, 05:46 PM

for country living look at white oak rd /charles city rd/ elko rd area of sandston,va
not real close but not too far away, and the price goes from 125,000.00 to 350,000.00 , one acre lots. new developments going up monthly. easy access to i-64 i-295 to go to malls at colonial hieghts or va center commons 25 minutes

Old 05-27-2006, 06:20 AM

57 posts, read 334,129 times
Default new neighborhoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong
for country living look at white oak rd /charles city rd/ elko rd area of sandston,va
not real close but not too far away, and the price goes from 125,000.00 to 350,000.00 , one acre lots. new developments going up monthly. easy access to i-64 i-295 to go to malls at colonial hieghts or va center commons 25 minutes
thanks for the tip - you're a gold mine!

Old 06-03-2006, 12:29 PM

7 posts, read 43,643 times
Default What's Bad About Richmond?

My family has lived in the Richmond area for 300 years. I was born in Richmond, and grew up nearby. Some of the postings here puzzle me. Driving through Richmond looks dirty? Dirtier than driving through Philly, DC, Balto, NYC, Boston and every other east coast city? Old cities, particularly those with industry, look dirty, expecially from Interstate Highways which don't usually traverse the most valuable real estate. Passing through on a raft you weren't impressed--not even by the fact that Richmond is the only city that has Class IV and V rapids right through downtown! The crime rate in Richmond is high, yes, but it is greatly improved over the peak of 1994 due to a Police program called Project Exile--commit one crime with a gun and you're in jail. Period. Not perfect yet but definitely improving. And as in most cities, the crime is mostly concentrated in areas most citizens won't be frequenting anyway. Richmond does indeed have charming areas, e.g., The Fan District, Westhampton, Windsor Farms, Bon Air, Cary Street--with high-cost housing to match. And it has improving night life in Shockoe Slip and Shockoe Bottom where the funkier younger generation is settling. Old-time Richmonders have lost none of their gentility and charm and are totally refreshing compared to some cities I could name. Almost any suburban area around Richmond offers pleasant living and all the amenities one could desire. The most upscale are to the West and Southwest in Henrico, Chesterfield and Goochland Counties. But Hanover, Amelia and New Kent are moving up and lately, my old home county of King William, 30 minutes out, has joined the bandwagon. Compared to Northern Virginia where I am now, the cost of living and cost of buying a home are considerably lower. Traffic doesn't even come close to the headache proportions of NoVa. Public schools are improving by leaps and bounds every year and Richmond offers many top-notch colleges/universities. The bottom line is that when I was growing up there I thought Richmond was the armpit of the world; now every time I go back (after living all over the world for 40 years) I'm more and more impressed. So much so that Richmond is at the top of my short list for retirement. Don't believe all the nay-sayers; visit, spend a little time, get to know the neighborhoods and the people, and I'm willing to bet you'll find that there are certainly "bad" things--but there are oh so many more "good" things. And no, I don't work for the Chamber of Commerce, I'm just finally recognizing all that Richmond has to offer.

Old 06-03-2006, 06:44 PM

363 posts, read 1,418,513 times
Thank you for that CPCIC. It will definitely matter to our furture decisions and plans. I love Virginia, as we've visited many areas... I haven't seen Richmond yet, but it's on a list for potential job relocation for us. It's funny you mention the rapids. While I was doing research... I went to the Richmond website and was delightly suprised to see such a thing... right in the middle of the city! It is very unique! Anyway, thanks for your post.

Old 06-05-2006, 02:25 PM

538 posts, read 1,589,813 times
Default Just visited Richmond for second time

I just visited Richmond for second time. My experiences were both good and bad. The good: Richmond is growing quickly, and jobs seem to be growing here as well. I was down there on a job interview. The outlying suburbs- Short Pump area, Glen Allen, Mechanicsville, are all really nice. Lots of trees, open space. New mall areas very aesthetic pleasing. It seems like Richmond is poised to become a leading Southern center of commerce. Plenty of new south and old south mixed. Very nice people too- almost everyone I passed downtown said hello to me.

The bad: Run down sections of Richmond were RUN-DOWN. Like someone said before, the worst parts of Philly, Baltimore, and Detroit are just as bad in Richmond, although smaller. Bad sections run right into nice areas. Southside was particularly bad- many cars with no wheels sitting on cinder blocks parked right in the street. West end of Richmond was very nice, especially around the University of Richmond. It was easy to find myself driving with the windows down through a gentrified area, only seconds later to be in a complete ghetto. Many people standing around giving menacing stares, obviously unemployed and poor, many with alcohol bottle. It is a segregated city, but not unlike any northern segregated city. Unlike northern cities and towns, the towns I traveled through have no downtown core. Richmond is sprawled out and the new development is not centered on a downtown, other than Richmond's downtown, which is not well kept. Powhatan and Amelia counties were very, very rural- not at all what you'd expect in a metropolitan region. Also, depending on your temperature tolerance, it was 96 degrees and almost 100% humidity when I went this weekend. It feels like a dog breathing on you. For my taste, it was too hot.

All in all, it is a nice place to live, but I have scratched it off my list. It just wasn't for me. If I had to recommend a nice area, I would say Glen Allen, Short Pump, Montpelier, Rockville, and Hanover. Or Charlottesville, if you can afford it.

Old 06-17-2006, 10:28 PM

4 posts, read 21,193 times
Hi Jennifer,

King William County is the place for you. We are past Mechanicsville about 35 minutes from the city, 15 from Mechanicsville, We have a local major grocery store, 4 schools, you would be about 30 minutes from the Virginia Center Commons Mall in Glen Allen (suburb of Richmond)

Rmd city is HORRIBLE and very dirty, alot of crime, really bad stuff!

Our little communty is a piece of heaven.

If I can help you let me know.

Oh this might interest you:
http://www.co.king-william.va.us/ (broken link)

Good Luck!

Cindy

Old 08-09-2006, 11:39 AM

2 posts, read 14,805 times
Default Richmond Reality

First off, one has to wonder about each individual writing their opinion / experience of living in Richmond, VA (or any city for that matter)
In order to understand peoples perspectives on living in a city in the US, things like age, race, religion, education, financial situation, culture, and conditions under which they moved to a city. I dont see many posts explaining backgrounds and situations that made Richmond, va either attractive or unattractive...so if youre thinking of richmond, va...I will try to tell it from a matter of fact viewpoint
Richmond is and always has been, a predominently black american populated city. So whether thats a draw is up to the person moving here.
The last few years, immigrant Africans, Mexicans, Asians, Brazilians, and other minorities from places like Somalia, Camaroon, etc. have made richmond their home.
Any apartment complex in richmond, henrico, chesterfield, that are affordable to a working class person (under $750 a month), are all but exclusively 'minority occupied'. If you want a clean environment, your car to be in the same condition you parked it in, quiet after 11pm, courteous, polite and law-abiding neighbors you can ask to keep an eye on things, you will be horrified by what $750 a month provides.

Other factors are this, the city itself has a population ratio of 70% black, 30% white. The counties are like this...eastern henrico has a population ratio similar to the city and so, is more affordable than western henrico, who has a reverse ratio 70% white, 30% black, the nice areas are no longer affordable to a working class person, regardless of color. Chesterfield county is set up similar, the eastern northern and southern parts are closer to richmond city demographics and costs, while the farthest western corner is like western henrico....again, as the demographics change, prices soar, and are out of range for a working class person.

The bottom line about Richmond, va is this

If you are coming with an income of $100,000 yr or more...you may find richmond attractive...you just buy one of the $400,000+ homes on the outskirts of counties, or pay $500,000 for a home in one of the few city neighborhoods thats retained its honor and decency......join a gym, hire lawncare, take vacations to nagshead, send your kids to private school, and as you drive to work through richmond, pay no attention to what it is....because it doesnt affect you...but you can do this in almost any city

For the rest of us, who didnt get a PHD and whose problems arent about having to decide whether its better for our family to buy an $800,000 house in san diego or a $500,000 house in richmond, va
We should all have such problems.

Old 08-09-2006, 01:07 PM

dungajin,
you have painted a pretty accurate picture of richmond housing, but you didnt mention living in the neighboring counties such as hanover or new kent or varina areas.
the city as with most cities isnt the best and yes i venture into the city as little as possible mostly for dr. appointments. i dont think one needs $100,000.
a year to live in a good area...although it woulnt hurt.
housing prices have gone wild here in va, and they keep on building,
i think the bubble is about to break and we will see the prices start falling do to supply and demand, yesterday i saw a sign in eastern henrico offering new houses starting in the $300.000 range.......i cant imagine paying $300,000. for any place to call home or why people will become slaves for a big home and a big suv?? i also believe its these interest only loans offered ,and people speculated the market ,the time for interest only is comming to an end, and the loans are requiring people to start the real payments has come you will be seeing repos left and right soon...but heck i may be wrong...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond