Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 08:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,967 times

Advertisements

Perhaps the stark distinction in classes would become less stark if the "upper class" would stop looking at the "lower class" as a less than human stench to be avoided. Maybe a better alternative would be to take steps toward tearing down the socio-economic and racial barriers that create ghettos. Is it possible that your purpose in life might ought to be bigger than living a convenient self-centered life away from anyone who may cause you discomfort? And maybe, just maybe could it be that except for the area you were born, or the parents you were born to, or maybe a few poor choices ... you might not be stuck in the ghetto. Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 10:40 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,688,333 times
Well this article has a lot of truth in it IMO.

I just feel like I am out of the loop. People that love it here must know something that I don't. I would love to know what it is. I don't have a pet to walk, I don't hang out in clubs, I don't smoke so I guess that is the problem. Someone please tell me what I am doing wrong here because I do not enjoy feeling like this..

Last edited by Anders15; 02-14-2009 at 11:35 PM..

Old 02-15-2009, 08:47 AM

1,799 posts, read 6,292,232 times
What do you enjoy doing?

Old 03-16-2009, 12:20 AM

208 posts, read 1,213,723 times
Mosby, Gilpin Courts, Hillside courts

Old 03-16-2009, 01:46 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,908,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaverick804 View Post
Well this article has a lot of truth in it IMO.

I just feel like I am out of the loop. People that love it here must know something that I don't. I would love to know what it is. I don't have a pet to walk, I don't hang out in clubs, I don't smoke so I guess that is the problem. Someone please tell me what I am doing wrong here because I do not enjoy feeling like this..
Have you tried learning about the history of Richmond? Richmond's roots run very deep and are fun to explore, and that way you might be able to find something to relate to with the city or something you like about it which will, in turn, lead to more things you like about the city. I don't know if you're originially from the South, but try to embrace its Southern culture. It's okay to be laid back, hang out, move at a slower pace, and relax in Richmond. The cyclist community is HUGE in Richmond, so if you have a bike get out and ride! It's a great way to meet people and find out new activities to get involved with (bike races around the city go on all the time, for example). Richmond has a lot of problems, yes. But the city DOES have a lot of charm if you can find it. I think most old cities are that way. There's plenty of things to like about Richmond, even though they may be harder to find (it took me 6 years to enjoy the city!).

I don't know if the people know something you don't, but they're probably just a different type of people than you are. From my experience with the city, most people are laid back and easy going. Almost care-free. Especially in neighborhoods like The Fan. I've found many people are very personable. They acknowledge each other and nod or say "hi" when they see each other on the street. I think most of that has to do with being Southern.

And if the news bothers you, why not shut it off? I get bummed out by news too. Sometimes it's best to avoid it.

Last edited by xGrendelx; 03-16-2009 at 01:56 PM..

Old 12-20-2009, 10:53 AM

3 posts, read 17,814 times
Default Quite an accurate prediction...

Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong View Post
dungajin,
you have painted a pretty accurate picture of richmond housing, but you didnt mention living in the neighboring counties such as hanover or new kent or varina areas.
the city as with most cities isnt the best and yes i venture into the city as little as possible mostly for dr. appointments. i dont think one needs $100,000.
a year to live in a good area...although it woulnt hurt.
housing prices have gone wild here in va, and they keep on building,
i think the bubble is about to break and we will see the prices start falling do to supply and demand, yesterday i saw a sign in eastern henrico offering new houses starting in the $300.000 range.......i cant imagine paying $300,000. for any place to call home or why people will become slaves for a big home and a big suv?? i also believe its these interest only loans offered ,and people speculated the market ,the time for interest only is comming to an end, and the loans are requiring people to start the real payments has come you will be seeing repos left and right soon...but heck i may be wrong...
Boy!! Doesn't THIS ring true three years later!! Dead on!

Old 06-21-2010, 08:34 PM

2 posts, read 5,915 times
Thank you for your comments, we are moving from Australia and I have been reading everyone's comments , I like your honesty.
I live in Perth WA and we have trouble spots here to and you just would not go there late at night, the police are dealing with it, what more can be done.

I would like some advice on safe area's to search out, we don't have children so no need for schools, I wonder if you could help.

Thanks

Old 06-29-2010, 04:03 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,349,775 times
mad,
it depends on what you are looking for? peace and tranquility or traffic and stores within a few blocks.
I myself have found the Elko area meets my peaceful needs with the new white oak shopping center/mall at laburnum and I-64 makes shopping easy within 15 min.
but most people want the west end or midlothian area to many people/traffic for me.

Old 07-03-2010, 02:27 PM

1,513 posts, read 2,757,475 times
sounds like the fan/museum district would work well for you madmaz

Old 07-04-2010, 03:05 PM

4 posts, read 15,727 times
If you're going to Richmond, I recommend the "FAN" area in the town of Richmond. Very little crime, great zoning with homes and small shops ( like laundromats, restaurants, starbucks, book shops, libraries, sports bars) interspersed between the brownstones and historic townhomes. Houses are a bit pricey, but the ambiance is great- nice access to almost everything and walking distance to museums, churches, cinemas, etc. A bit like a very quiet Manhattan street, I love Richmond..it might not look as shiny new as some towns, but that is because it is an OLD historically protected town.

What I would describe as shabby chic. ( MY INTERPRETATION of the term)

Very preppy, very waspy, very Daughters of the Revolution-ey! Lots of Statutes of Generals! Very old school and Esquire-y.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond