Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2021, 04:09 AM

7 posts, read 10,535 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering relocating to the Richmond area.
We have been living in Spain for a long time, but have decided it's time to come home.
Having previously lived in Florida and New Hampshire, we have decided on Virginia this time, as I lived there for awhile when I was single and loved it.
We have a lot of questions, one being are there any towns near Richmond that have a main street with cafes, restaurants and the like?
TIA Charlie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2021, 11:21 PM

404 posts, read 868,386 times
No, unfortunately. Short Pump is Suburban Sprawl (mall, traditional strip malls, and some outdoor malls) and Midlothian is similar but smaller. Farmville (about an hour away) has some cute restaurants, but it's literally a town built around furniture outlets and not much else.

The closest locales with true downtown vibes are Charlottesville and Alexandria, both two hours away.

Old 07-13-2021, 06:52 AM

485 posts, read 683,556 times
When you say near Richmond are you excluding Richmond - Carytown probably has the feel you want. Scotts Addition trying to get that way and Shockoe Bottom with less shopping more bars/restaurants. You also have the area near UR around Libby that has the downtown walkable feel.

West broad Village attempts at the downtown walkability in Short Pump. Midlothian Village rather small but has the small town feel.

Ashland has a little bit in its downtown.

Charlottesville is not 2 hours away its 1 hour but it is much more college oriented. Also Williamsburg I would say has more of that and 1 hour.

Old 07-13-2021, 08:24 AM

210 posts, read 195,438 times
Carytown is the closest thing to what you’re asking.

Old 07-13-2021, 11:26 AM

830 posts, read 1,002,897 times
Try Ashland, Virginia, about 18 miles north of downtown Richmond - https://www.ashlandvirginia.com

Areas like Carytown, etc., are actually neighborhoods within the city rather than actual towns, so I don't think are what you're looking for. On the other hand, cute places in the larger region like Kilmarnock, Irvington, West Point and Farmville are all a bit more distant from Richmond.

Old 07-26-2021, 09:28 AM

Thank you all for your replies, really appreciate it.
We realized that Richmond is a good drive from Dulles airport and our daughter who lives in Europe would have to tack on a fairly long Uber ride after 2 flights to get there.
Her company gives her precious little time off so to make easier for her, we're actually considering towns closer to Dulles now.
She may actually move to Virginia herself at a later date, in which case we'd most likely move closer to the coast.
But in the meantime, this is what we're considering.
Thanks again for everyone's input- I'd forgotten how helpful my fellow Americans can be

Old 07-26-2021, 03:50 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,856,099 times
Any "Dulles" IAD airport neighborhood questions should be asked in the Northern Virginia forum
[url]https://www.city-data.com/forum/northern-virginia/[/url]

Walkable downtowns to consider are (search any real estate site by zip code or city):
City of Falls Church (FCC) zipcode 22046
Town of Herndon zip 20170
City of Fairfax zip 22030
Old Town Alexandria zip 22314
Del Ray zip 22301

FCC and Town of Herndon will have Metro access to IAD in the next few years
Del Ray and Old Town Alexandria are very close to National Airport (DCA) with easy simple and current Metro access

Most of the Spaniards I know live in the District

Northern Virginia's top spanish speakers are from El Salvador. Guatemala and Bolivia

Good Luck

Old 07-27-2021, 07:17 AM

Thanks for all the great information, will move to the Northern Virginia forum.
We're actually American and British, just happened to have lived in Spain for a long time, so would enjoy Spanish-speaking communities but not essential
Will check out your suggestions- thanks again!

Old 08-19-2021, 07:40 PM

8,873 posts, read 13,833,498 times
Don't forget Fredericksburg!

Old 08-20-2021, 04:35 AM

Thanks for the information ☺️
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond