Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2021, 01:12 PM

830 posts, read 1,017,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
I don’t live in Virginia. In the past I heard many say Richmond has gang & crime issues. Yet from talking to people & looking at crime stats the supposed crime issues didn’t really measure up to the hype.
Maybe crime is a problem now in 2021-2022? Maybe with the pandemic, political differences or population growth? Im not there. Hopefully things don’t get too bad.
Stay safe everyone
While crime is up a little for most US cities, the kinds of stuff you’re talking about hasn’t been a thing like that in Richmond since like the mid-90s. I would say that while issues remain, nothing is out of control and pretty much limited to the specific areas someone mentioned above.

Old 12-26-2021, 01:28 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,694,995 times
That’s good to hear. Thank you for your response

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
While crime is up a little for most US cities, the kinds of stuff you’re talking about hasn’t been a thing like that in Richmond since like the mid-90s. I would say that while issues remain, nothing is out of control and pretty much limited to the specific areas someone mentioned above.

Old 12-26-2021, 07:31 PM

7,323 posts, read 4,118,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
I've seen posts from way back that Richmond is right "on the edge of a breakthrough" to become a great city. It doesn't seem like that's happened yet (only from what I have read, I have not yet had the opportunity to see it for myself - on my list).

Is Richmond headed the way of Baltimore - where crime and who knows what else holds it back, or is Richmond going to break through and take hold of what seems like a great "bones" - history, the James River, the urban vibe, architecture and great location in a great state and capitalize on that?
Since you are looking for a city with great healthcare and a walkable city - why not Pittsburgh, PA?

It's a beautiful city with tons of culture (zoo, museums, libraries, shops, etc) and the University of Pittsburgh medical hospital. It's very much like Boston!

Old 12-26-2021, 10:48 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
I've seen posts from way back that Richmond is right "on the edge of a breakthrough" to become a great city. It doesn't seem like that's happened yet (only from what I have read, I have not yet had the opportunity to see it for myself - on my list).

Is Richmond headed the way of Baltimore - where crime and who knows what else holds it back, or is Richmond going to break through and take hold of what seems like a great "bones" - history, the James River, the urban vibe, architecture and great location in a great state and capitalize on that?
Maybe it will simply continue to grow at a sustainable above-average rate, add amenities which population levels are able to support, and maintain a healthy, diversifying economy.

Who said the only two options are boom or bust?

Old 12-27-2021, 05:27 AM

2,161 posts, read 1,150,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
I don’t live in Virginia. In the past I heard many say Richmond has gang & crime issues. Yet from talking to people & looking at crime stats the supposed crime issues didn’t really measure up to the hype.
Maybe crime is a problem now in 2021-2022? Maybe with the pandemic, political differences or population growth? Im not there. Hopefully things don’t get too bad.
Stay safe everyone
Longer than that. I hope Richmond gets it act together but I don't know anyone who says, "ooh, lets move to or even, lets visit Richmond". The 2020 riots just made it even worse.

Old 12-27-2021, 07:53 AM

1,021 posts, read 910,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
Longer than that. I hope Richmond gets it act together but I don't know anyone who says, "ooh, lets move to or even, lets visit Richmond". The 2020 riots just made it even worse.
You might want to check the growth stats and stop relying on the few people you know. Echo chambers never lead to realistic perception. People are definitely moving to Richmond at a much faster pace than to Virginia Beach.

Old 12-27-2021, 08:08 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,682,365 times
The 2020 “riots” only scared away the same people that were already frightened by the “woke” culture of the city proper.

The social justice movement of 2020 only made Richmond (and Virginia) better. There were two nights of destruction followed by months of peaceful and fruitful protests and celebrations of diversity coupled with emotional growth. The typical scaredy cats afraid of POC and sexual minorities still blather on about “riots” while ignoring the record population and physical growth of the city that happened between 20202 and 2021. Richmond was never a place for them and apparently the city never needed to cater to their provincial mindset. We moved on and rebuilt a better and bigger Richmond.

Old 12-27-2021, 12:47 PM

736 posts, read 455,871 times
Not to mention we finally got those statues off Loser's Lane.

Old 12-27-2021, 03:07 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,150,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
You might want to check the growth stats and stop relying on the few people you know. Echo chambers never lead to realistic perception. People are definitely moving to Richmond at a much faster pace than to Virginia Beach.
No one said anything about Va Beach. This is a thread about Richmond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
The 2020 “riots” only scared away the same people that were already frightened by the “woke” culture of the city proper.

The social justice movement of 2020 only made Richmond (and Virginia) better. There were two nights of destruction followed by months of peaceful and fruitful protests and celebrations of diversity coupled with emotional growth. The typical scaredy cats afraid of POC and sexual minorities still blather on about “riots” while ignoring the record population and physical growth of the city that happened between 20202 and 2021. Richmond was never a place for them and apparently the city never needed to cater to their provincial mindset. We moved on and rebuilt a better and bigger Richmond.
I'm guessing the over 400 arrest of those "peaceful" protesters is actually what, more recently, keeps people away, even people who believe in equal rights for all and who don't care what race, religion or type of they, people identify as.

Old 12-27-2021, 04:07 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,682,365 times
Anyone still scared off of Richmond by protests that were INTERNATIONAL and two years ago never really cared about equality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond