U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-28-2008, 09:47 PM

63 posts, read 154,060 times
Question New England Workers

OK, I heard this in the past and now that I am going to be experience it for myself this fall, I am going to ask and maybe someone can tell me that it's a myth or it is realy true.

I've heard that employers (not just in the Richmond Va area) tend to favor applicants that may have come from the New England area over someone that may be local. The reasoning behind this is (just from what I've heard) that people from New England tend to have to work harder for what they have because of their surroundings. Like much of Maine is very rural. Maine's biggest city has somewhere around 300k ... about 1/4 of the entire state's population. Richmond has more people than the entire state of Maine (from what I've read). There just isn't alot in the state of Maine so people have to work hard to survive. Employers know this and know that someone from NE will be a good worker. Is this true or just an urban legend?

I'M NOT SAYING THAT NO ONE ELSE HAS TO WORK HARD TO SURVIVE. THIS IS JUST WHAT I HAVE HEARD. I'M NOT TRYING TO INSULT ANYONE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 04:37 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,683,919 times
I couldn't say if it's right or wrong, but it's interesting you suggest it because most people who complain about the hiring environment say that employers in Richmond favor locals, which again, I can't say if it's correct or not.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:29 AM

291 posts, read 435,085 times
I grew up in New England and went to College and lived in Maine and have since lived and worked all over the country. The only bias I ever ran across, good or bad, was when I worked in Charleston SC and then they liked me despite being from New England.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond