U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 03:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,640 times
Default Midlothian HS Vs Cosby HS

We are new to the area and my daughter is slated to go to Midlothian High in the fall however, I am second guessing my decision because of the prices of homes in the Midlothian High School district and I am wondering if Cosby High School is just as good as Midlothian High. I have heard that the students in Midlothian are a little snobby. Can someone help me? Plus, where is a good place to rent in the Cosby high school district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 09:15 PM

301 posts, read 455,702 times
Chesterfield has a number of very good High Schools. You are probably splitting hairs to start to pick the "best" one - as best really depends on your child and where they would best fit in and succeed. If you use the Newsweek standings - James River is 1st followed by Midlothian then Clover Hill and Monacan ( I think)- all top 1000 in the US. Cosby is probably too new to be counted. At Midlothian you won't find a lot of economic diversity - so "snobby" - it may not be that so much as there aren't as many different groups to fit into. My neighborhood sends kids to Midlo and James River - they are all just normal sleep til noon teenagers. I would think James River HS has the broadest economic range and is an ESL school for the area so while very rigorous it has a diverse student body ( where my kids go). There will always be a school with scores a little higher etc but within reason that doesn't make it a better school. You have a lot of good choices so do what is best for your family as a whole.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:27 AM

1,048 posts, read 3,094,834 times
I am amazed -- and impressed -- that someone answered this post, and very well! The OP is quite intimidating. Well done!

Last edited by whynot?; 07-22-2008 at 12:51 AM..

Old 07-22-2008, 06:15 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,222,328 times
I'm not implying that SOL scores are everything, but if they are important to you, then here are the data for 2007 (I'm not sure if 2008 scores are out yet):

Midlothian: 99, 96, 99, 98 (English, Math, SS, Science)
Cosby: 98, 94, 99, 98

Old 09-24-2008, 08:43 PM

931 posts, read 2,565,722 times
Midlothian is better. Midlothian HS students get into good schools: VT, UVA, UofR, JMU etc...

Old 11-10-2008, 10:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,216 times
there is no way around snobs in Midlo. Cosby has just as many if not more spoiled teens than midlo, because they come from the area past clover hill- you know all the expensive housing developments! Teens are a product of what they are being taught and it is sad, but there are way too many "I am better than you" kids, because their parents either teach them that what you have is the most important or the parents let the kids bully them into getting them all the stuff because "all my friends" have it. So honestly pick where you feel most comfortable, because no matter where you go you will run into the snob issue.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:18 AM

4 posts, read 8,672 times
where is Cosby?

Old 05-27-2009, 11:24 AM

931 posts, read 2,565,722 times
Midlothian is better, graduates from there go to the best universities in Virginia. Never even heard of Cosby, sorry.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:26 AM

301 posts, read 455,702 times
Cosby is the newest HS in the county and is just past Woodlake off of Hull Street.
CCPS - Cosby High School Home Page (http://chesterfield.k12.va.us/Schools/Cosby_HS/hpagelinks/directionslocation.htm - broken link)

Old 05-30-2009, 10:48 AM

306 posts, read 311,140 times
I am a graduate from Midlothian High (2006) and my sister is about to graduate there now in June. My family chose Midlothian over the Deep Run district because of the reputation of academics of Midlothian. Cosby wasn't even built when we moved here. If your kids are after sports, Cosby is WAY better. There is probably more diversity there but from friends that graduated from Cosby, their dress code is really, really strict and the kids there are also "snobby". I mean, I guess you have those kind of people at every school but as for "safety" and whatnot. I saw one fight in Midlothian from my soph year to my senior year and again like stated above, the academics are top notch and the reputation is well known around Virginia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond