Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Richmond: short commute to work, house in suburbs, convenient shopping, dining out, nightlife

Old 07-29-2008, 01:40 PM

23 posts, read 75,829 times

Advertisements

I'm considering Richmond as a place to live. I currently live in N. VA.

I'd live close to the city, with a short commute to work (15-20 minutes?), and I'd live in a nice house in the suburbs (not expensive). I'm no party animal (I'm in my early 40s, no kids) and have no interest in clubs or nightlife, but lots of convenient shopping and dining out VERY frequently (many times a week) is very important to me. I love ethnic foods, markets, etc. Perhaps yoga and other interesting things to do.

I worry about boredom and feeling isolated, but perhaps I shouldn't.

Also, are the people friendly?

Thanks so much for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 01:59 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,890,491 times
Default You are in luck!

Depending upon your budget and neighborhood "feel" preferences, you should be able to find a happy home in the Richmond area. More "lifestyle" (mixed-use) developments are being built on both sides of the river for people to have that "walk to" convenience (as long as you don't mind it being bisected by a major secondary road that might be hard to cross). Seriously, though, there are great options.

I moved to the area after living in Old Town/Capitol Hill/Clarendon for 20 years. Most of the things I really missed (except the Smithsonian and the Washington Opera) either have come to town or are on their way. People generally are friendly, I think. I'm not sure exactly what "interesting things to do" encompasses, but there's a very nice array of activities and classes and the traffic is a breeze compared to NoVa.

Good luck.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:16 PM

Thanks for your response. I don't need "walk to" conveneniences -- that's for people with a lot of money! I'd be happy living in my suburban home and getting into my car to drive a mile or two or three to get to many restaurants and shopping. I love Thai, Indian and other ethnic foods. My boyfriend and I go out for nice food and drinks three nights a week, sometimes more. We love BBQ, steaks, great seafood places... Having many nice places to go to, and convenient shopping, is very important.

We have no desire to be near college kids though. No Fan, no nightclubs, or anything like that. I'll be 42 soon!

Great to hear that the traffic is a breeze compared to N. VA.

Thanks so much for advice.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:56 PM

273 posts, read 1,481,682 times
I have lived in Richmond and in N. VA and am now in MD - You could move to the west end of Richmond - Henrico County, Glen Allen somewhere like that and still be 15 min or so from downtown if you wanted to do a concert, some shopping, museums, good little diner type places - Check out Cary Street, Main Street for ideas. There's Brown's Island that has activities - you can look them up online and ticketmaster - they have more adult concerts, jazz and i believe things like chili cook-offs, etc. There's Short Pump Town Center that has upscale shopping and Stony Point is near by. Again, look these things up. There is always something to do in Richmond. The James River if you feel like lying on the rocks or rafting. IMO it's soooooo much nicer than this area. I really miss the Richmond area. The people are definitely nicer, more of a southern feel. The traffic is not as bad and I observe small things like: I was in Richmond a few months ago and went to the Walmart at Short Pump which is also a shopping center. I was walking from the parking lot to my car, not in the crosswalk and cars will actually stop and wave you across. HERE - you can be in the crosswalk and don't even think a car is going to let you cross. Just little things like that make you realize how much more laid back and friendly it is. Just a whole different attitude. Good luck! I wish I was in a position to move back there!

Old 07-29-2008, 04:46 PM

Thanks for your response. From what I've read, the west end sounds like the place to be. Short Pump sounds perfect, if we can find a great deal on a house. I don't know anything about Glen Alen. I'd want the cheapest real estate, just as long as it's very convenient to many restaurants and shopping!

I'm so glad to hear that the people are nicer. I never found the people in N. VA/DC to be very friendly. I don't know why that is.

I know what you mean about being in a position to move. I'm not sure we are, either. It's scary to think of leaving our jobs (especially knowing that the jobs aren't as plentiful and high-paying in Richmond compared to the DC area) and I also own a home that would never sell in this bad market. So, I feel stuck here, too. But I'm tired of the rough commute to/from DC, and housing prices are still too unreasonable in N. VA to think about upgrading to a better house.

I'm seriously thinking about it though!

Thanks so much for advice.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:01 AM

273 posts, read 1,481,682 times
Glen Allen is part of the west end. Some Glen Allen addresses are just right up the street from Short Pump - Gaskins Rd, Springfield Rd, in that area. The cheapest real estate may be further out but that depends on how far you want to drive to get to shops, etc. You can look into Ashland, Mechanicsville, even going towards Goochland but not all the way out in the boonies! Another option you may want to consider is Chesterfield - also a very nice area and still near Richmond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond