Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2009, 07:48 PM

243 posts, read 1,629,970 times

Advertisements

Yeah all I get it temp agencies and this one loss mitigation place...when I was in pittsburgh I had no problem finding jobs (bny mellon and landamerica)...prolly because pitt is only an hour away from wvu...I got homesick and moved back to va and haven't had much luck since...after I'm done with my post bacc in acct from vcu I'm out...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 03:01 PM

8,236 posts, read 13,357,122 times
Wow interesting conversations on why to and why not to live in Richmond.

I work in DC/NOVA and live in Baltimore.. and the love/hate conversation in Bmo threads are similiar to these. In fact the few times I have visited Richmond it sorta reminds me of Baltimore.. both have rich histories, lovely historic neighborhoods, waterfronts, and unfortunately urban ills such as crime and blight.

If/when the highspeed rail corridor is completed to or through Richmond.. it may certainly be a boost to the City especially in the areas downtown around Richmond's Main Street Amtrak Station.. I guess that is Church Hill? People commute from Aberdeen/Perryville , MD to Washington via Amtrak and MARC commuter rail.. and that is about same distance from DC to downtown Richmond. Once the rail service is in place it could certainly increase the number of "transplants" living in the city and add to the diversity.. which may be good or bad depending on your perspective. If this were in place now, I would have certainly considered living in Richmond and working in DC using combination of commuting by rail and telecommuting. The cost of living is MUCH cheaper Richmond and you can stretch your housing dollars.

As far as some of the social and "open mindedness" issues raised...that may take some adjustment, but again you could always travel since Richmond is very centrally located on the eastern seaboard.

I am not a Baltimore native..but the DC influence has certainly had a impact on the City. Many DC transplants have moved into Bmo.. and again depending on your perspective, made things better or worse.. but there is certainly a presence with the City actually recruiting renters out of DC to homeowner opportunities in Bmo. Richmond may or may not fancy that DC influence but it has had a positive impact on Baltmore's economy from what I can see.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:24 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
Based on how many people have voted with their feet over the past 10 years I'd say the Richmond metro is doing well. Definitely gaining population.

Old 07-04-2009, 07:00 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxotaur View Post
While I'm sure that many of your points are valid,
No, actually, few if any are. In fact, this was one of the most ridiculous, laughably inaccurate posts I've ever read.

I guess that great spelling effort in the title should have been a clue.

PS: since many people here apparently think having a link to some media whoever saying an area is or isn't great somehow validates the point, here's one for you:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/business/local/article/RICH24_20090623-222806/275926/ (broken link)

Old 07-04-2009, 10:04 AM

1,292 posts, read 4,704,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
No, actually, few if any are. In fact, this was one of the most ridiculous, laughably inaccurate posts I've ever read.

I guess that great spelling effort in the title should have been a clue.

PS: since many people here apparently think having a link to some media whoever saying an area is or isn't great somehow validates the point, here's one for you:

Richmond is ranked the sixth-best place in the nation to start over | Richmond Times-Dispatch (http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/business/local/article/RICH24_20090623-222806/275926/ - broken link)
" * "If you actually know how to do it, Richmond is a good place to look for a job," said career coach Bud Whitehouse of Career Management of Virginia. "There is a lot here, a lot of diversity.

"Companies keep starting up here and keep growing," he said."

Well, there you have it. "If you actually know how to do it." Straight out of the mouth of the Career Management of Virginia. Let's hope everyone who is looking for a job here knows how to do it.

Last edited by Anders15; 07-04-2009 at 10:12 AM..

Old 07-06-2009, 09:00 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,163 times
Quote:
Richmond is ranked the sixth-best place in the nation to start over for someone who has been laid off or is just looking for a career or lifestyle change, according to BusinessWeek.com.
I'm pretty sure Businessweek.com isn't run by Virginia or any of its cities FYI. Try looking past the shills.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:07 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,704,642 times
Also there are many conflicting reports of the crime. For example the latest reports suggest: Central Va. likely to record more homicides this year than in 2008 - Richmond Times Dispatch (http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/local/crime/article/HOMI06_20090705-221204/278226/ - broken link). My guess is because Rodney Monroe is gone.

Last edited by Anders15; 07-06-2009 at 09:33 PM..

Old 07-07-2009, 04:34 PM

14 posts, read 56,228 times
The best thing about Richmond is its' location if you have to move here. You can take advantage of VA Beach and DC easily. Additionally, being on I-95, one can get as far as NY or Myrtle beach in a days drive. As far as residing in Richmond, there is really nothing unique about the area other than it's Civil War history, which I find offensive being a minority. Additionally, many people have limited views on Race, thus the area is very segregated. There are a few diverse areas like the Fan or Carytown, but that gets dry pretty quickly and your routine can quickly be work-home-back to work-tv on the weekends. If you like that type of life, Richmond won't dissapoint. But if you want some activity in your life and some diverse friends, pick another city.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:43 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,316,533 times
Spending the weekend watching TV is a personal choice... there's plenty of stuff to do around here.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:59 PM

370 posts, read 1,010,301 times
I agree with richmondpics... to say there is nothing to do in Richmond is saying you don't have many interests. You have a bar/restaurant scene comparable to cities much larger population-wise, you have theater, museums, festivals, shopping... and if fitness is your gig, there are a good number of races and an amazing park system on the river in which you can mountain bike, hike, kayak, rock climb, swim, or just soak up the sun and fresh air in. Sorry, but there's just no excuse for statements like yours dubiousthoughts besides your own lack of initiative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond