Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 01:45 PM

4 posts, read 17,370 times

Advertisements

I was born in Richmond and grew up in the Ginter Park area but left in 1986 at age 20, so I am intrigued when people say Richmond has changed. Having lived in areas generally considered more progressive since (the left coast), I really do wonder if I'd find attitudes in Richmond have changed all that much? I found it to be fairly boring, stifling and incredibly stratified by ethnicity and wealth/class issues. I did find the Fan to be the only real area of interest to me then.

Aside from the obvious growth and neighborhood socioeconomic shifts, how has Richmond changed really? For someone interested in the arts, creativity, and music and not in corporate cubicles, social circles, or suburbia, what does Richmond have to offer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 06:49 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhyde View Post
I was born in Richmond and grew up in the Ginter Park area but left in 1986 at age 20, so I am intrigued when people say Richmond has changed. Having lived in areas generally considered more progressive since (the left coast), I really do wonder if I'd find attitudes in Richmond have changed all that much? I found it to be fairly boring, stifling and incredibly stratified by ethnicity and wealth/class issues. I did find the Fan to be the only real area of interest to me then.

Aside from the obvious growth and neighborhood socioeconomic shifts, how has Richmond changed really? For someone interested in the arts, creativity, and music and not in corporate cubicles, social circles, or suburbia, what does Richmond have to offer?
Hi Tom,

I think it would be difficult to argue that Richmond would be as progressive as the 'left coast' - few places on the east coast would fit that bill. But, considering you left Richmond 23 years ago, I'd like to think there is more here today than '86 with regards to the arts, creativity, and music. Here's some of the things that quickly come to mind:

The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts is undergoing a $150 million expansion, designed by Rick Mather, which will add among other things 165,000 SF of new space.

One of my favorite ongoing events in Richmond is First Friday's Artwalk, centered along Broad Street's emerging arts district. I'm sure you're familiar with the First Friday's concept. The event draws an incredibly diverse crowd of thousands for a night of music, art, food, shopping, and people watching along a stretch of Broad Street I'm sure you recall being anything but.

Manchester is a growing arts community, anchored primarily by Plant Zero Art Works, with advertising, marketing and other creative firms adding to the neighborhoods distinction.

In warmer months, there is a seemingly endless number of ethnic food/cultural festivals ranging from Lebanese to Irish to Indian to Greek, etc etc etc. A relatively new event with great promise is Broad Appetit - the expectation/intention is that it will grow into an event which blends the food experience of A Taste of Chicago with the artistic awe of Spoletto.

Of course, the newest Richmond tradition is the Richmond Folk Festival. From 2005-2007, Richmond was home to the National Folk Festival. After it moved on, organizers were intent on making the Richmond Folk Festival equal in size and quality. More than 185,000 peope came out last year over 2 1/2 days to see an amazing collection of performances... from Inuit throat singing to the blues to Mayan Pole flyers.

Two new live music venues recently opened in Richmond, Toad's Place and The National Theater, while the Carpenter Center is undergoing significant renovation and expansion to become Richmond Centerstage. The University of Richmond hosts a diverse collection of performances at The Modlin Center for the Arts. VCU is home to the nation's top ranked sculpture program, other nationally ranked arts programs, and one of the top advertising schools in the country - The Brandcenter. The VCU French Film Festival, hosted at the Byrd Theatre, is the largest in the U.S.

Anchored by The Martin Agency (clients include UPS, GEICO, Wal-Mart, Al Gore's WE campaign, etc), Richmond is also an emerging center for marketing/advertising/branding.

The level of community based blogging has grown to be mindboggling - Richmond Virginia Blogs on Art, Politics, News, & Life in Richmond - RVABlogs ... several such as buttermilk and molasses, Church Hill People's News, and others have received prominent attention.

There are a host of theatre groups in the area, from longtimers like Barksdale to newer groups like Firehouse Theatre and Henley Street. The Richmond Ballet, Richmond Symphony and Virginia Opera reach out to the community beyond simply performances.

Other events include the 48 Hour Film Festival

Lastly, there has been a surge in the number of local farmer's markets/food co-ops. Historically, 17th Street Farmer's market has been predominant. Relative newcomers include the Byrd House market, South of the James Market, and Lakeside Farmer's Market. Lastly, Tricycle Gardens (http://www.tricyclegardens.org/blog/index.php - broken link) and other community gardens are being planted in more and more locations throughout the city. Here's another neat addition to the local organic scape - http://www.victoryfarmsinc.com/

Take a few minutes if you'd like and check out the links I provided throughout the text. I won't deny that Richmond tends to be slow to change and that the old guard is ever present. We certainly have much work still to do. However, in recent years I've been particularly impressed with how it's opening up and changing culturally.

Last edited by richmondpics; 02-11-2009 at 08:05 PM.. Reason: adding farmer's market info

Old 02-11-2009, 08:53 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
To me anyways Richmond looks like a breath of fresh air. I'm researching NoVA in terms of relocation from my native Scranton, Pennsylvania, and I'm finding that the entire Northern 1/3 of your state, with very limited exceptions, is a SEWER of tract-housing, strip malls, office parks, traffic congestion, etc., hence why I'm considering settling in Arlington/Alexandria and making the lengthy commute down to Ft. Belvoir. For Richmond to be preserving those "dumpy old buildings" is FABULOUS! Every city has its silver linings, as well as its flaws, and I notice those who can only dwell upon the downsides are usually just miserable in life and vent their frustrations by blaming their environment.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:20 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,693,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
To me anyways Richmond looks like a breath of fresh air. I'm researching NoVA in terms of relocation from my native Scranton, Pennsylvania, and I'm finding that the entire Northern 1/3 of your state, with very limited exceptions, is a SEWER of tract-housing, strip malls, office parks, traffic congestion, etc., hence why I'm considering settling in Arlington/Alexandria and making the lengthy commute down to Ft. Belvoir. For Richmond to be preserving those "dumpy old buildings" is FABULOUS! Every city has its silver linings, as well as its flaws, and I notice those who can only dwell upon the downsides are usually just miserable in life and vent their frustrations by blaming their environment.
Amen ! Well said, and you'll be certainly welcome in my fair city!

Old 02-22-2009, 06:37 PM

10 posts, read 24,343 times
i have been in virginia alot of years and i would not live in richmond. i got a place in hopewell and i like it here. been here like 5 years. what i dont like about the south is many of the people are clanish., and i see alot of prejudice. more so then elsewhere. i like hopewell as there are a variety of people of different nationalities and i find the people here to be nice.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:05 PM

2 posts, read 8,804 times
Richmond truly is terrible. I left a year ago for dc and haven't regretted it a single day. I went back the other weekend to visit family and was miserable almost the entire time. I forgot how negative everybody is there. The downtown scene is an absolute joke. Not saying everyone, but most people that defend Richmond haven't experienced anywhere else and tend to get really defensive if you talk bad about their city. But that's the way small time Richmond has taught them to think, in pure ignorance.

Old 03-01-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhyde View Post

Richmond HAS A LOT to offer creative wise. Youd be surprised at how many art galleries are poping up. Not to mention First Fridays- new live music venues. Great musuems. I am a musician and I love Richmond.

Old 03-01-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisman View Post
Richmond truly is terrible. I left a year ago for dc and haven't regretted it a single day. I went back the other weekend to visit family and was miserable almost the entire time. I forgot how negative everybody is there. The downtown scene is an absolute joke. Not saying everyone, but most people that defend Richmond haven't experienced anywhere else and tend to get really defensive if you talk bad about their city. But that's the way small time Richmond has taught them to think, in pure ignorance.
RICHMOND is NOT terrible. Ill take Richmond over DC anyday. DC is garbage.

I have been to Nashville and Atlanta, so I am very well travelled.

Richmond is a lovely beautiful city with a lot of nice people who have manners and gentility.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:14 AM

12 posts, read 65,913 times
Virginia's best qualities shine in its smaller cities. I personally find Harrisonburg, Staunton, Charlottesville, Roanoke, Abingdon, Lexington, and Williamsburg far nicer places to live, work, learn, and play than Virginia's larger metro areas.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:59 AM

383 posts, read 1,016,360 times
wow Richmond Pics.... you sure laid the state of the capcity out well. WE ARE CHANGING ...all the time. Thanks for pointing out all our recent accomplishments!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond